Agencies With Their Own Helicopters

951ryan

Feed Provider
Does anyone know of a list of SoCal law enforcement agencies with their own airborne law enforcement division? Bonus if you happen to know their unit designator over the radio suck as Duke, Angel, Abel...etc.

For example...

Orange County Sheriffs - "Duke"
Anaheim PD - "Angel 1"
Riverside PD - "Air 1"
Ontario PD -
Fontana PD -
Riverside County Sheriffs - "Star-9"
San Bernardino County Sheriffs - "40 King"
Huntington Beach -
Newport Beach PD - "Eagle"
Burbank PD -
LAPD Air Support -
SDPD Air Support - "Able"
SDCS Air Support -

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
This may be old information I have
Costa Mesa was named Eagle
Newport Beach was Ocean
Huntington Beach was HB 1
Since they are all encrypted, I don't know what has changed, who still has air operations and who doesn't anymore.
Sometimes you could hear the request for helicopters on TG 421. Used to be in the clear may now be encrypted? It's been a long time since I listened.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
HB1 is still around. Costa Mesa and Newport had a joint program that was disbanded quite a few years ago.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
RIP in peace for the officer that lost his life from HB in Newport Bay a couple of years ago. One of the pilots was able to get free and break free and find his way to the top of the water. The other pilot I think got trapped and could not espcape or was knocked out when hitting the bay in the water. I think most likely he was trapped to where he could not escape from the way the helicopter crashed into the bay.

HB-1 Heliocopter.

1726562653279.png

Last edited:

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I believe either San Diego Sheriff or PD used "Astro"; and LAPD were "Air" and LA Sheriff were "H". CHP uses "Air" for the fixed wings and "H" for the rotary wings. The first numerical digit of the CHP airship call sign designates the Division the aircraft is assigned to.

951ryan

Feed Provider
You want to check out the ultimate list and any answers to your questions, go to

This is the ultimate answer & resource..... Thank You!