• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Agency,Fleet and Subfleet & Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopyII

Hi all, new to ProGrammer and M/A Com for that matter....writing the personality now, the radio has not arrived yet. I got the frequency set done, that was seemingly easy enough, however, its the talk gorups that I'm struggling with. Under 'Group Sets' do 'group number' and 'group ID' correlate to the fleet and sub fleet numbers? And if that is true, then do you click 'new edacs group set' for each talkgoup with the same fleet number?

Also, when you're setting up the agency parameters in the options menu, number of agencies and fleets per agency, does that number have to be set up for the total number of different agencies and fleets for the entire personality of the radio not per system or frequency set?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
For scanning use, you can totally ignore the screen that sets up the number of fleets per agency. (Agency data)

It's not important if you're not scanning. And I think it's only important if you're planning to
scan across systems and will need to have fleet calls properly set up. Nobody who's only
scanning will need to worry about that.

Group number is the position of the talkgroup in the list of groups, nothing more.

Group ID is the actual ID number of the group. Get this number wrong and you're not
going to hear the group you intended to hear.

Elroy

snoopyII

Elroy, thanks for your help so far..but let me clarify...sorry..
so Group ID, is that the entire TGID.... e.g. 03-062, or just 062? I see it wont accept hyphens in the input field, so it would be entered as either 03062 or just 062. OR is there an entirely different ID# format, not published here on RR.

Also, FYI using R18 for a Orion.....anyway, so will it still do a muliti system scan (I'm currently defining a system as a frequency set) if all the systems are in the "systems being scanned" field under system setup? i.e. it will scan system A and then go onto system B and system C and so forth...

rmiles

snoopyII said:
so Group ID, is that the entire TGID.... e.g. 03-062, or just 062? I see it wont accept hyphens in the input field, so it would be entered as either 03062 or just 062. OR is there an entirely different ID# format, not published here on RR.

You enter in all the TGID in decimal format. ProGrammer programming does NOT use AFS coding, everything is decimal.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Correct. Decimal only in ProGrammer.

Frankly, I don't know where the scanner world even got the stupid idea of writing the TGIDs as 01-2345 and so on. It's just silly.

I generally don't like multi-system scanning as I've found it to be slow. It takes time for the
radio to scan across systems because it has to lock onto each control channel in turn and then listen for your talkgroups.

In general, I pick a single agency I want to listen to at any given time and scan just its relevant talkgroups. They're set up in my radios that way. I turn to the city I want to
listen to and all the groups for it are all together.

As my county's system is simulcast, I'd have no reason to scan across systems anyway,
as most of what I would want to listen to is simulcast on all sites.

CJ

snoopyII

Ahhh, thanks to both of you for all your help, this clears it up for me a great deal. Also, thanks for the tip on multi system scanning, now that i think about it that makes sense. genarally, I do the same thing, listen to one agency at a time, but I wanted to know a little about the limitations and capabilities of the radio.

BH

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
ElroyJetson said:
Frankly, I don't know where the scanner world even got the stupid idea of writing the TGIDs as 01-2345 and so on. It's just silly.

It's a means of forcing the scanner to monitor all talkgroups within a fleet without having to program all of them into memory, or having a separate setting to denote it as a fleetwide. Works like a charm, and I find it to be very handy for monitoring wide-area systems like AEP....

Decimal would not work for this as the scanner would be unable to differentiate the fleetwide decimal TG from any other decimal TG, where AFS allows the fleetwide to be entered as 04-06- thus telling it to monitor everything in that fleet.

Very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.