AGM battery packs

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick tip for anyone using AGM battery backups or packs for remote power. I use AGM 12VDC batteries for game cameras. Also for camping radio power supplies. Recently I left one out too long and the Harbor Freight trickle charger gave up on it. It’s a smart Viking charger no complaints but when voltage is too low it quits. So quick fix, I hooked my jumper cables from my truck (running BTW) directly to the AGM battery for 15 minutes. A 15 minute charge gave it enough to make the Viking charger accept and charge. Hope this info helps anyone before they go out and buy a new battery? Example of what I use I showed here in the past…. My Cool Battery Go Box

Ubbe

That's generally true for all kinds of batteries, not only AGM, that a charger might not start to charge as a protection precaution. due to a too low voltage or a too low temperature in the battery. Using a charger without protection circuit or by other means raising the battery voltage will then help. AGM batteries are almost indestructible and can take all kinds of abuse but then they also cost a lot more.

/Ubbe

rdlinn

Premium Subscriber
In the car business, AGM batteries seem to fail more frequently in cold weather. I'm not too impressed to be honest.