Agree not to stream?

Would you agree not to stream to the Internet if an agency promised not to encrypt?

• Yes, I would agree to not stream

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No, I'll take my chances they won't encrypt

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilgrant

Hypothetical question derived from the Dan Brady Bill...

If a public safety agency stated that they would leave day-to-day communications in the clear for it's citizens if you agreed not to stream their communications on to the Internet would you agree?

Please keep this a focused discussion and disregard things like neighboring states, radio waves crossing state lines, etc.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Since public safety radio communications are not "for its citizens" but for the use of public safety workers, I don't see this ever coming up as an issue. Aside from that, you will never get everyone to agree to not stream, nor would you be able to enforce it, so this is never going to be an option either.

jobes

Feed Provider
What's streaming mean:confused: Oh yes that yea it sunk too with my fishing gear

DPD1

Hard to answer, because personally, I don't think they would use that as a good enough reason to decide whether they will or not. There's numerous reasons why they choose to try and block monitoring, that being one of them. But I think once a decision has been made, it would probably be too late to change their minds anyway. That said... I'll probably rub people the wrong way... but I personally think streaming does contribute to them leaning towards hindering monitoring. I don't think that's the only reason, but I know for a fact it often annoys them. In the old days, all this stuff was sort of... out of sight, out of mind. What they didn't know about people monitoring couldn't hurt them. But now it;s right there in their face. I understand why people like it and I understand why people want to do it... But I do think it has an adverse effect. And I just hope it isn't helping to bring an earlier demise to emergency stuff in some areas.

JoeyC

The cardinal rule of monitoring that applied way back when, and today is still - keep what you hear to yourself.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
But stream it online so that the gang scum can listen to everything the police are doing on his iPhone as he's spray painting gang crap on building walls along Auburn Way north.:mad:

And you don't think gang members won't go out and steal a scanner or two. Spare me. They can either getr a scanner or listen on the iphone, makes no difference.

nova1010

My local PD just went to encryption so of couse I'd agree not to stream to the internet if an agency promised not to encryt...I don't stream anyway but I highly dought we be given that option.

Not alot we can do about it wich sucks :(

Still have alot to minitor though so I can't complain too much..I do miss the local PD comms though.

ibagli

No. If they're making a single online stream the deciding factor, they're not competent enough to trust.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
But an iPhone is easier to operate.

I'd suggest you try one first. Get an iPhone, pull up NYC Police, and you tell me how that's going to change the actions of a criminal.

My guess is you'll realize how unrealistic your story is. If they want to know when the PD is active in their borough, they'll get a scanner and set it only on that frequency.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Okay guys, lets not get into any arguments about this, just take the poll and leave it at that.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.