Aiken Co Fireground Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
A recent post on the FireRad2 group on Yahoogroups mentioned that Belvidere Fire Department in Aiken Co is using a couple of FRS frequencies for fireground use.

I looked at the RR database, and see 5 FRS channels available to the Aiken County fire departments.

Can anyone confirm that departments in that county are actually using FRS channels for fireground use ? I'd also be interested in what power output they are operating the mobile and handheld radios.

Thanks.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The five frequencies are a part of the seven frequencies shared by the GMRS and FRS radio services. GMRS is limited to 5 watts on those 7 frequencies.

I do not think there are any two-way radios available that are type-accepted by the F.C.C. in both the UHF public safety band, and the UHF GMRS allocations. If true, that would imply that fire personnel are using a separate radio on 453.900 from the one being used on the 462.xxxx channels ... unless they were using modified or non-type-accepted radios for some communications.

Unless the department has had a grandfathered GMRS license since prior to 1989, the requirement is that every person using the tac channels would have to have their own F.C.C. GMRS license, unless someone in their immediate family already had one. The license is $85 per licensee for 5 years.

I really have to wonder what liability the department and / or the county fire services would have if there was a firefighter loss-of-life during a fire that could be attributed, atleast in part, to radio problems on the tac channels. There are millions of cheap FRS handhelds in public hands, and anyone could cause interference during critical fire scene communications.

shajoe44

I found those frequencies by using one of their radios and using my scanner. I had the fireman go to each channel and press the mic and I would find the frequency on the scanner. Just thought I would let you know in case that helped any.

robertcansler

Yes, they do use them so you can stop beating a dead horse over this, if your going to report them just do it. not every one has the bucks to have the best of the best and sometimes have to do with what they have and be safe as they can ..

Status
Not open for further replies.