Aiken Public Safety channel 4

Does anyone know what Aiken public safety’s channel 4 is on the palmetto 800? They said to switch to it but I couldn’t copy any traffic. Was wondering if the talk group isn’t listed yet.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Does anyone know what Aiken public safety’s channel 4 is on the palmetto 800? They said to switch to it but I couldn’t copy any traffic. Was wondering if the talk group isn’t listed yet.
I don't know the talkgroup you're referring to. If it's not listed, then no one has submitted it to RR. Safe to say it's likely in the 208xx range, assuming it's a talkgroup. You could endeavor to discover it yourself.

How are you monitoring the Palmetto 800 system? With what receiver - scanner, SDR, pager? If a scanner, which model? Also, which site are you monitoring?

With scanners, you can set the receiver to play all active talkgroups on the site you're monitoring. With Unidens, it's called ID Search mode, with Whistlers, it's using a "wildcard" talkgroup. This could possibly reveal the talkgroup you're seeking, assuming it is indeed a talkgroup.

The talkgroup could be encrypted. I think by default Uniden scanners skip encrypted radio traffic, so you may find it difficult to track it down if it's encrypted. Whistlers don't skip over encrypted talkgroups.

Using control channel decoding software, like DSD+ or SDRTrunk or Pro96Com is another way to track down unknown talkgroups.

It's possible the channel is actually a conventional channel, likely simplex. It may not be on Palmetto 800 at all.

Hope this helps.

Brian

ToddWilkinson

ScanMN
I don't know the talkgroup you're referring to. If it's not listed, then no one has submitted it to RR. Safe to say it's likely in the 208xx range, assuming it's a talkgroup. You could endeavor to discover it yourself.

How are you monitoring the Palmetto 800 system? With what receiver - scanner, SDR, pager? If a scanner, which model? Also, which site are you monitoring?

With scanners, you can set the receiver to play all active talkgroups on the site you're monitoring. With Unidens, it's called ID Search mode, with Whistlers, it's using a "wildcard" talkgroup. This could possibly reveal the talkgroup you're seeking, assuming it is indeed a talkgroup.

The talkgroup could be encrypted. I think by default Uniden scanners skip encrypted radio traffic, so you may find it difficult to track it down if it's encrypted. Whistlers don't skip over encrypted talkgroups.

Using control channel decoding software, like DSD+ or SDRTrunk or Pro96Com is another way to track down unknown talkgroups.

It's possible the channel is actually a conventional channel, likely simplex. It may not be on Palmetto 800 at all.

Hope this helps.

Brian
I forgot about ID Search!

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
These 2 are listed in the RR database:
20501 Aiken County Channel 1
20502 Aiken County Channel 2
These aren't (yet):
20503 Aiken County Channel 3
20504 Aiken County Channel 4. Channel 4 can be encrypted sometimes, but most of the time its in the clear.