Ailunce HD1 (no GPS version) or Anytone 868

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgeteer2000

Hello all,

which one would you recommend and why? They are similarly priced on Amazon...

On a related note: I also tried the DMR6X2 - liked it but it goes back to Amazon as it has a manufacturing defect; I would not like to get the same again

I found lots of "paid" reviews of the HD1 (which is a concern) but in general it looks more capable than the 868.

The 868 has however a big following and is considered by many as a very solid radio.

So which one do you recommend?

Thank you all!

bharvey2

I only have experience with the 868. I've had mine for several years and when I bought it, I think I was looking at the same two radios. For a hobbyist radio, I think the 868 is fine and ticks all of the boxes. I have no regrets in choosing the 868 over the other radio.

N4KVE

Hello all,

On a related note: I also tried the DMR6X2 - liked it but it goes back to Amazon as it has a manufacturing defect; I would not like to get the same again
Be VERY careful when buying anything from them. That DMR6X2 you returned will probably be sent to the next buyer as long as it turns on. Many people who buy CCR’s from Amazon find their “new” radios are already programmed with frequencies from the original purchaser who sent it back for whatever reason. To answer your question, I have friends who have each radio, & both are liked equally well. You have to remember neither company has an official US distributer like Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu. It’s one thing to buy a $22 Baofeng, & after a year when it dies, to just throw it out. These radios aren’t cheap, & sending them back to China for repair isn’t cheap. So try to buy directly from a company that will stand behind their product.

Gadgeteer2000

Go with the 878 instead of the 868.
Thank you for the reply.
What is the benefit? I do not need GPS or APRS or Bluetooth - the 878 is otherwise exactly 100% the same as the 868 is it not? (and its $50 more). And if at some point I really want those features I can just update the firmware (using an st link v2 device) and turn the 868 into 878 as described in various forums... Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply.
What is the benefit? I do not need GPS or APRS or Bluetooth - the 878 is otherwise exactly 100% the same as the 868 is it not? (and its $50 more). And if at some point I really want those features I can just update the firmware (using an st link v2 device) and turn the 868 into 878 as described in various forums... Or am I missing something?

You're largely correct. You get a far better antenna with the 878, more contacts, roaming, etc. In most cases, the memory in the 868 is limited, so new features, etc. are not necessarily available with a forced firmware update.

But you might use an aftermarket antenna, you might not care about those features, etc. For me $50 is well worth the price, to have the newest radio.

Gadgeteer2000

You're largely correct. You get a far better antenna with the 878, more contacts, roaming, etc. In most cases, the memory in the 868 is limited, so new features, etc. are not necessarily available with a forced firmware update.

But you might use an aftermarket antenna, you might not care about those features, etc. For me $50 is well worth the price, to have the newest radio.
Thank you. I think the only hardware difference is the antenna. Everything else (hardware wise) should be the same. It seems that the 878 pcb is marked 868v2 when opened up. It is exactly the same as the 868 and so memory etc are equal. At least that is what those who did the mod reported. Anyway the main question is not 868 vs 878 but anytone vs ailunce

N5WMT

Premium Subscriber
I own 2 HD1's and am very satisfied. Just a basic hand held with dual band capability and DMR. Not a lot of bells and whistles. Optional antenna works well for distant repeaters. Highly water resistant.

Gadgeteer2000

Thank you, do you also use the anytone by any chance?
I own 2 HD1's and am very satisfied. Just a basic hand held with dual band capability and DMR. Not a lot of bells and whistles. Optional antenna works well for distant repeaters. Highly water resistant.

Thorndike113

I own 2 Ailunce HD-1 radios. I picked it out of a top three best DMR radio review I found on Youtube. I picked it because according to what the person reviewing it was showing, it was the pretty much the same as the anytone and another he was reviewing but the HD-1 was bulkier. I like bulky radios because they cant slip into things and get broken easily. My wife and I use them and they work great. 1 watt of power on DMR and you get a lot more range than your cheaper DMR radios. They are waterproof and dustproof which is essential for me because I am not in hermetically sealed environments like most hams ha ha. I am usually in very harsh environments with my equipment. I bump into things and radios fall and get wet and this radio so far has held up. I was actually out in a some drizzle the other day with it. They have good audio quality and the speaker mic also surprisingly has equally good audio quality. Most times you will find the speaker mic sounds muffled on digital, even with Motorola. Not this radio. The wonderful thing about it is that it is field programmable from the keypad. Yes, there are more menus to deal with but unlike other radios where you have to keep going into the code plug to re-program something, this one can be done from the radio, so if you load up a code plug and find out you need to make some adjustments to it, its fairly easy to do from the keypad. Its got a nice size antenna on it also compared to most Chinese radios. 7inches. Everyone has their own needs with radios so I wouldn't tell everyone that they need to buy this one but I would recommend it. I actually picked both of mine up on Ebay for around $160 a piece. They do the job and I am happy.

KC3ECJ

I own 2 Ailunce HD-1 radios. I picked it out of a top three best DMR radio review I found on Youtube. I picked it because according to what the person reviewing it was showing, it was the pretty much the same as the anytone and another he was reviewing but the HD-1 was bulkier. I like bulky radios because they cant slip into things and get broken easily. My wife and I use them and they work great. 1 watt of power on DMR and you get a lot more range than your cheaper DMR radios. They are waterproof and dustproof which is essential for me because I am not in hermetically sealed environments like most hams ha ha. I am usually in very harsh environments with my equipment. I bump into things and radios fall and get wet and this radio so far has held up. I was actually out in a some drizzle the other day with it. They have good audio quality and the speaker mic also surprisingly has equally good audio quality. Most times you will find the speaker mic sounds muffled on digital, even with Motorola. Not this radio. The wonderful thing about it is that it is field programmable from the keypad. Yes, there are more menus to deal with but unlike other radios where you have to keep going into the code plug to re-program something, this one can be done from the radio, so if you load up a code plug and find out you need to make some adjustments to it, its fairly easy to do from the keypad. Its got a nice size antenna on it also compared to most Chinese radios. 7inches. Everyone has their own needs with radios so I wouldn't tell everyone that they need to buy this one but I would recommend it. I actually picked both of mine up on Ebay for around $160 a piece. They do the job and I am happy.

Does the radio have a full featured promiscuous mode?

Thorndike113

3I dont know if I have the worst luck or DMR radios only last 2 months. My Ailunce HD1 that I purchased back in November had the audio go pinched like the speaker blew. It isnt the speaker as I disconnected the speaker mic from it and the speaker on the radio was also pinched. Seems as if these DMR portables were not meant to last that long. I barely use the radio except when I go out with my wife and we just use them for comms. If anyone has had this happen to their radio and they found a fix, let me know. If not, I have to say, the Ailunce is no different than a Baofeng. Go spend the $400 on an Anytone. Thats going to be my next purchase if I cant get this one fixed. I am now over $500 in the hole because of ham radio and I have nothing to show for it. I may go the cheaper route and just buy some cheap $20 FRS radio from Walmart. They seem to last for decades vs. Ham radio that lasts for 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.