Air 1 Laser Incident, as paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
It's probably the jack wad doing all of these. There have been quite a few alerts around DIA in the past few months about unauthorized laser illumination events (would there ever be an authorized laser illumination of a passenger aircraft??). Probably the same guy that got myself and my Captain in Dec from south Greeley. We were up around 14,000' or so, but it was still unsettling how intense the laser was from that range (guessing about 10,000' slant range). I'd love nothing more than for them to catch this perp and make one hell of an example out of them.

Kevin_N

What kind of laser does someone like that use? I'm guessing it's not just a little pointer laser.

And what's the point of it? So you can see if you get on the news? Pretty stupid.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
These are much more powerful than a small presentation style pointer. I know there are some pretty powerful ones that you can buy that I've seen used at astronomy presentations to point out objects in the night sky. You wouldn't even notice a presentation pointer from the air unless you were very close to the ground. These lasers are many order more powerful and more often than not green in color.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
And what's the point of it? So you can see if you get on the news? Pretty stupid.

A fair amount of time, it's likely someone who's not thinking of the aircraft and just "wanted to see how far it can go." I think there is some kind of disbelief that a laser can really travel a large distance. There are a number of people getting these lasers for the cool factor of how intense it is and start pointing at all kinds of things like buildings in the distance, the mountains, etc.

The rest of the time might be malicious in intent, especially repeat offenders from similar locations or even mobile. Maybe they want to feel like they did something they're not supposed to and enjoy getting away from it.

VFCC

Feed Provider
I can tell you that the night when the PD copter I was in got laser tracked, there was no question that we were being tracked. Happy to report that we got the cops to the location and the perps (teenagers) got to find out what handcuffs feel like...

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.