Air Ambulance off Toronto Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipslope

I'm trying to monitor Air Ambulance traffic off Toronto Island. I regularly have them fly directly over me near King & Strachan and I'd like to hear whats going on. I've entered all the frequencies listed here on RR under 'Conventional' including the input frequencies:

http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=575

I don't seem to be getting much other than static, so I'm wondering if 'Conventional' is the correct setup, or whether I need to enter some kind of PL tone? or other setting? I'd also like to set this up with the CloseCall feature on my BC996T so that when they fly overhead I will hear their comms. But that will be later, first I have to get the freq's programmed right.

Help!! :)

PS, I'm also monitoring Toronto CACC on Ontario Provincial Zone 1 hoping there is some Air Ambulance traffic there.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
You are going to hear Air Ambulance on 413.6875, conventional.
When the unit is in the air talking to CACC's listen for them on 150.1000 W/O a good antenna expect to only hear the helicopter.
There is no air ambulance on fleetnet. Other members can explain it better but it cant hit or hits too many towers in the air.
It used to be that we were able to hear the copters relaying info, usually to Sunnybrook here in T.O. but alot of it is now on sat phones I think.
E

wyldman

EJB said:
You are going to hear Air Ambulance on 413.6875, conventional.
When the unit is in the air talking to CACC's listen for them on 150.1000 W/O a good antenna expect to only hear the helicopter.
There is no air ambulance on fleetnet. Other members can explain it better but it cant hit or hits too many towers in the air.
It used to be that we were able to hear the copters relaying info, usually to Sunnybrook here in T.O. but alot of it is now on sat phones I think.
E

Pretty much the same as I have found.413.6875 has the most traffic on it,and you can usually here both sides.NO PL tones needed.

slipslope

413.6875 gives me a lot of static, noise that sounds like a control channel, and continuous tones. I have a good antenna (discone). Anyone willing to connect to my live feed and tell me what I'm doing wrong? :)

butel:
tdotscan.dyndns.org:8100/8101

wyldman

I just listened quickly to your feed.I did hear a short conversation,along with machine gunning,which is usually digital stuff.I don't get that on my scanners here when listening to the same frequency.I do get the static though,seems as if I have to set the squelch level much higher for conventional frequiencies.Even then,I still get some.I think it's just poor reception,as none of my antennas are set up for 400 Mhz.

slipslope

thanks, I enabled that feature, but still hear the machine gunning... my antenna is pretty good I think, a 4 foot discone on a tripod... I thought with them flying directly overhead and the island airport (where they have a base i think) close by, i'd be able to tune them in with no prob...

thanks for checking it out :)

smnjhull

Interference

Considering your location (King and Strachan), you possibly might be picking up a lot of interference from other sources with that good antenna. Just a thought, try a 'not so good' antenna (rubber duck) and see if it makes a difference. I too regularly hear AirA on 413.6875 but it is usually logistics conversations (like - if the roof is, or will be, clear to land at a specific time) but sometimes there IS an on air dispatch or location update.

Generally all patient info is done via SAT phone as mentioned.

PCOM does have communication between AirA and the involved CACC - again location and arrival time updates. IF your close enough, communication between chopper and ground crew just prior to landing.

You might try some of the AIR freqs. that the actual pilot would be using to communicate with traffic controllers? Personally I have no idea of these but I'm sure some others here can help out with those. Dave?

Best of luck.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.