Air band scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I have a Home Patrol 2 for some reason I can not pick up the air traffic control frequencies on it very well. Can any one reccomend a decent hand held radio or scanner to monitor when I'm out and about? Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I have a Home Patrol 2 for some reason I can not pick up the air traffic control frequencies on it very well. Can any one reccomend a decent hand held radio or scanner to monitor when I'm out and about? Thanks
Your HP-2 is capable of receiving aircraft communications. Take a look at the service types you have enabled, make sure that "Aircraft" is enabled.

Remember that if you are trying to hear tower & ground control radio traffic, you must be close to the airport. Those transmit antennas are usually placed at a minimum height, and are directed upward if any directionality is used. Transmissions from airborne aircraft can often be heard quite a long distance, sometimes 100 miles or more. If you have one of the "800 MHz" antennas on your HP-2, that is not a good choice for aircraft monitoring.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Myl daughter is a pilot and she uses my HP1 at home. Fortunately, she's only about ½, mile from the airport and easily picks traffic on the ground with the stock antenna, too.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
HP2 will definitely pick up air traffic, provided the antenna is in a decent location and the "aircraft" service is selected. I use it as a backup airband radio sometimes when traveling.

My primary air receivers are an older BCT15 and a BCT125AT. The scan speed is amazing, have alpha tags, and are relatively cheap.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Air band scanner for out and about? The BCT125AT is the best there is for aircraft monitoring, and only about $100-$125 on eBay and elsewhere. A good after-market antenna would compliment that scanner - Remtronix, Watson, Austin-Condor, etc. Right now I am testing the new Remtronix 842b, a vhf/uhf/800mhz rubber duck on my BCT125AT. Basically, it is their fantastic 800mhz antenna with enhanced vhf/uhf receive. I will soon be posting a review in the antenna section of the forum - so far, I am impressed. Great antenna! But there are several good vhf/uhf antennas to be had out there. If airband is your monitoring target you can't do much better than the BCT125AT. Even with the stock rubber duck antenna it is an awesome airband receiver.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Air band scanner for out and about? The BCT125AT is the best there is for aircraft monitoring, and only about $100-$125 on eBay and elsewhere. A good after-market antenna would compliment that scanner - Remtronix, Watson, Austin-Condor, etc. Right now I am testing the new Remtronix 842b, a vhf/uhf/800mhz rubber duck on my BCT125AT. Basically, it is their fantastic 800mhz antenna with enhanced vhf/uhf receive. I will soon be posting a review in the antenna section of the forum - so far, I am impressed. Great antenna! But there are several good vhf/uhf antennas to be had out there. If airband is your monitoring target you can't do much better than the BCT125AT. Even with the stock rubber duck antenna it is an awesome airband receiver.

Ditto. Forgot to add that you may want to add a aftermarket antenna. The factory duckie does ok; near a Class B airport you may not hear a difference on local frequencies. Otherwise; I have a Diamond VHF I carry around and it improves strength & clarity.

Best $130 bucks I ever spent for sure.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a BC125AT used via ebay for just over $100, since they are hard to find new during this pandemic. Mainly purchased it for miliatary air, but it does a great job on civilian air also.

Haven't really used for too much distance stuff on air, except for local air center traffic. Martin State Airport is right behind where I live and BWI is near my work.

Going forward it seams the older scanners do better on air, than many of newer Trunked Trackers. I also picked up a older PRO-2045 to dedicate to mil/cil air at home at a very low price.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
If you ever get a chance to pick up a Yupiteru 7100, I think you will be pleased. My "thing" is aviation scanning here in the Chicago area and I have a 7100 in my stable. It is a phenomenal receiver and the audio is nice and clear. Also consider getting a more focused antenna for the 125. I use a Diamond RH-77 with good effect on my Uniden 325P2 as well as the 7100 and an old RS Pro-43. They are good antennas. For specific, focussed Civil & Milair, see if you can find a Maldol AL-500H. It's no longer made but they may show up on Ebay from time to time. Maldol AL-500H Air band Scanner Antenna. Long and awkward but it will do the job for you!

dzirzow

Premium Subscriber
Try to hold off until the 125 comes back down in price...... I am seeing traditional online sellers 200- almost 300 new right now. crazy out there.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yep, I use the older scanners for vhf/uhf airband and milair, the Pro-2006, Pro-2035, and the BCT15X. I am in the market for a 780 now. I miss the lights. The 780s are good airband scanners, too

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Try to hold off until the 125 comes back down in price...... I am seeing traditional online sellers 200- almost 300 new right now. crazy out there.
A couple years ago brand new on Amazon I paid $90.00, best price I found today was Scanner Master if they have them in stock, no tax and free shipping! $129.95 got it the next day, if none in stock you can sign up for notification when they get them back in stock, plus free support for any questions!

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
There are plenty of used BC125AT's on Amazon RIGHT NOW. These are Uniden repacks or refurbs, coming from Amazon Wherehouse. I have bought my 125's, BCT15x, and BCD996P2's all as used from Amazon with NO ISSUES.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I lucked out and got my 125AT on eBay a few years ago and it was $89.99 and free shipping. Brand new. I see some of the prices now and thank my lucky stars.

ScottE22

My BCT75 does a good job on civilian aircraft monitoring, live fairly close to my airport, Hickory Regional airport, useca Diamond RH77 antenna.....

Status
Not open for further replies.