Air Canada at PIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

My 996XT will not pick it up with a rooftop all-band antenna and I'm about 8kms from the airport. For some reason the HomePatrol will pick it up two bars with a RadioShack 800 MHz antenna if I am outside of my house. Both scanners had the band plan changed to splinter yesterday.

If you have an antenna tuned for the 800 band, maybe you will have better luck. Until I get a better rooftop antenna, I've got to listen to it outside, which okay for the next few months. :)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'd concentrate more on the coax than the antenna.

For example, I helped a friend with his setup awhile back. Previously he had a dual-band ham antenna fed with RG-8. We replaced it with a discone and LMR400 coax. The difference was night and day, despite the antenna not being as good.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Use the Splinter System setup.

EDIT: Maybe a DB Admin can add that instruction in the Air Canada page.

Ah...that would have been helpful for me last week! I was there and parked the GRE PSR700 on the system. I could see lots of activity, but the audio was not coming through correctly at all. It sounded like the squelch was opening and closing rapidly but the voices were not coming though. I ended up monitoring other stuff instead :-(

I'd never heard of splinter setup before. That said, I could see the system was very active from the Sandman Signature hotel, and at PIA itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.