Air Care And Careflight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBECKNELL

Premium Subscriber
hey guys did Careflight switch to marcs ???? also do any one know the dispatch freq for UC Aircare out of cincinnati ???? i have not been able to hear both for quit a while

cfr301

hey guys did Careflight switch to marcs ???? also do any one know the dispatch freq for UC Aircare out of cincinnati ???? i have not been able to hear both for quit a while

They have been on MARCS for quite a while now, check the Ohio MARCS Data Base for Tg

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
Careflight Air and Ground have moved to MARCS for statewide coverage. They simulcast Carecomm (dispatch) on 462.95. Locally they use several UHF frequencies including Carecomm and operations freqs in the hospitals. All RN's, Medics and Drivers carry UHF portables. I'm sitting at the south base now but alas, not with a scanner to find the ops freqs. I will have it posted when I do!
Matt
KC8DSB

jsoergel

Careflight Air and Ground have moved to MARCS for statewide coverage. They simulcast Carecomm (dispatch) on 462.95. Locally they use several UHF frequencies including Carecomm and operations freqs in the hospitals. All RN's, Medics and Drivers carry UHF portables. I'm sitting at the south base now but alas, not with a scanner to find the ops freqs. I will have it posted when I do!
Matt
KC8DSB

That sums it up pretty well - I would suggest programming the following (this is what I put in my scanner):

123.025 HELICOPTER CTAF (air-to-air)
123.050 UNICOM (used for most heliports, but there will be airport traffic heard as well)
123.075 UNICOM (used by Air Care occasionally for VHF communications)
155.280 CAREFLIGHT PATIENT REPORTS - the "BAT" phone*
462.950 CAREFLIGHT DISPATCH
462.975 AIR CARE DISPATCH

While the main hospital heliports have UNICOM frequencies, the primary communication is on the dispatch frequency; Air Care uses 123.025 for "Downtown Cincinnati Traffic" to alert other helicopters. Air-to-ground contact information for scene commanders is usually given to the helicopter crew before they depart on a flight.

*see p.8: http://www.miamivalleyhospital.org/uploadedFiles/mvh/Services/CareFlight/CFT812-AirCurrents.pdf

KD8MLK

I've heard UC aircare for sure on 462.950, but out of my past week of scanning I've only heard them once. So I'm probably just tuning in at the wrong at the times.

jsoergel

I've heard UC aircare for sure on 462.950, but out of my past week of scanning I've only heard them once. So I'm probably just tuning in at the wrong at the times.

Careflight occasionally backs Air Care up when they're shorthanded, since they have four helicopters instead of Air Care's two. Other medical helicopters make frequent stops in Cincinnati; I've noted PHI 5, AIR EVAC 39, and AIR EVAC 76 within the past month.

Careflight has the following:
CAREFLIGHT 1 (N520CF or N625CF*)
CAREFLIGHT 2 (N164CF)
CAREFLIGHT 3 (N63CF)
CAREFLIGHT 4 (N520CF or N625CF*)

North Base - I74 Grimes Field
Central Base - 00OI Miami Valley Hospital
South Base - I68 Lebanon-Warren County
Maintenance Base - I73 Moraine Airpark

*N520CF is the older helicopter in the red/white/blue scheme and marked with a "1" on the tail. N625CF was acquired in 2008 and is painted blue/white/dark blue, and also marked with a number "1." I haven't confirmed which is CF1 and which is CF4 yet.

Air Care:
AIRCARE 1 (N117UC)
AIRCARE 2 (N117AP)

Cincinnati - University Hospital/Sicu Heliport (8OH9)
West Chester - University Pointe Medical Office Building (2OI5)

When dispatched, the call will be for "Air Care 1 and the Pod-Dock" or "Air Care 2 and the H-Dock."

Last edited:

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Careflight 1 is N625CF and is the ONLY Air unit that has the new color scheme, which is blue.

Careflight 2 N164CF
Careflight 3 N63CF -and-
Careflight 4 N520CF are all identical in the Red Color Scheme.

1, 2 and 4 have MARCS radios and can be heard on CARE AIR frequently.

Careflight 3 does not have a MARCS radio, and although it's been a while since I've talked to anyone from there, it wasn't slated to get one.

I've posted (in the last few months) all of their radio i.d. information in regards to MARCS. The only number which is new is Careflight 1's MARCS Radio I.D. which is 39836. (Uniden users add a 7 to the front of that)

There was earlier mention of 123.05 as a unicom frequency. It should be noted that CareComm has this frequency in their center and use it frequently with other air units that come to MVH. They have also provided flight following help to EMS Helicopters as they transition through the Dayton Area.

jsoergel

Careflight 1 is N625CF and is the ONLY Air unit that has the new color scheme, which is blue.

Careflight 2 N164CF
Careflight 3 N63CF -and-
Careflight 4 N520CF are all identical in the Red Color Scheme.

1, 2 and 4 have MARCS radios and can be heard on CARE AIR frequently.

Careflight 3 does not have a MARCS radio, and although it's been a while since I've talked to anyone from there, it wasn't slated to get one.

I've posted (in the last few months) all of their radio i.d. information in regards to MARCS. The only number which is new is Careflight 1's MARCS Radio I.D. which is 39836. (Uniden users add a 7 to the front of that)

There was earlier mention of 123.05 as a unicom frequency. It should be noted that CareComm has this frequency in their center and use it frequently with other air units that come to MVH. They have also provided flight following help to EMS Helicopters as they transition through the Dayton Area.

Great info, I've put a lot of that in my notes to check for in the future. Are they looking to retire one of the older helicopters soon? I recall reading that the new one would be a replacement eventually - just wondering when that is.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Mark:

My interpretation of that means they have 3 "on duty" helicopters. If memory serves me correctly, MVH Base and Warren County are staffed 24/7 and Urbana operates 12 hours daily. The MVH Base crew will put in at their Main Maintenance Hangar in Moraine if inclement weather approaches.

63CF, which is Careflight 4 is still very much in the fleet. It is considered their "primary reserve" helicopter and was not equipped with a MARCS radio. I happened to speak to one of their pilots a month or so ago, he said they have no plans in the near future to retire 63CF.

They have access to other reserve helicopters through their vendor, Air Methods. I frequently see a BK-117 they use. It probably depends on how many of their units are down at any one time as to whether the BK is here or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.