Air Combat comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

Today around 9 AM (CST) I was scanning the mil-air band and locked on a strong signal at 290.9000 mHz AM. I heard several stations communicating with one another. One callsign was DARKSTAR 2. After checking my callsign list, I determined DARKSTAR was an AWACS aircraft. The others were callsign SLUGGER (with a figure) like 1, 1FOXTROT, 2 and so on.

Anyhow "SLUGGER" was in comms with DARKSTAR and they were giving vectors, and calling out bogey, tally, bullseye, along with altitude and sector codes. They had terms like North group and South group etc. Anyhow I'm pretty sure I was listening to a mach dogfight take place. If so this would be my first one.

I was not able to find anything for "SLUGGER" and wondered if anyone here had ever heard that callsign used before, and if so what aircraft would be using it. There is an MOA just south of me over the Gulf of Mexico so I'm guessing thats where they were.

nexus

yeah I guessed it was. There is an MOA just south of me over the gulf of mexico. I'm sure they were saying slugger though. It was interesting interception none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.