Air Evac 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Has anyone caught Air Evac 64 yet? I heard them this weekend, responding to a head on collison on US 82 near Billingsley, and caught them last weekend heading to Autaugaville. Both times they were communicating with Autauga County VFD and Prattville FD paramedics on 154.355.

BTW, while coming back from Wetumpka, I noticed their base is at the airport in Elmore.

Warren

SAR923

Hi Warren,

Yes, I heard both incidents here in Prattville. Any idea who operated this air ambulance service? I'm glad to hear there is finally one in this area since the nearest ship previously was apparently up near Birmingham. I'm a recent transplant from California (married a local girl) and I'm used to air ambulances getting called out for anything more serious than a stubbed toe. :) Given the number of road fatalities that have already occured in Autauga County this year (11 and counting), the air ambulance may give some folks a lot better chance than being transported by ground to Prattville Baptist, which, IMHO, is one step up from a marginally competent vet hospital. :(.

zac

Premium Subscriber
AirEvac 64

Hello,
AirEvac in based in the Plains. They bases all over the west/southern part of the US. There is already 4 in Alabama. AirEvac 15 in Cullman, 16 in Muscle Shoals, 32 in Scottsboro and now this one. They are a great company.

kcoleman

Hi Warren,
I heard them this evening headed somewhere in Elmore Co. I was mobile at the time and didn't hear where they were landing. 64 was talking to VFD on 154.370 about the LZ.

SAR923

Thanks for the information, Zac. Is AirEvac the actual company name? I've never heard of them but that's not suprising considering I'm from California.

I heard the call in Elmore County. It was on Highway 14 just north of the Elmore/Autuaga county line. It was a fatal between an 18 wheeler and a passenger car, if I understand the code "10-89" correctly. Since they canceled the air evac and asked for a coroner, it seems this must be the correct meaning of the code. As an aside, why do fire departments in this area persist in still using codes? The movement nationwide is for plain language, which doesn't seem to have caught on here. There's no reason to use codes since they don't save radio traffic time, are easily decoded by members of the public with any access to the internet, and only confuse matters in mutual aid situations. If it's a fatal, why not say so instead of using a code, especially since calling for a coroner pretty well confirms the situation.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
SAR2401 said:
if I understand the code "10-89" correctly. Since they canceled the air evac and asked for a coroner, it seems this must be the correct meaning of the code.

Hi Jim:

You're correct - 10-89 is a "dead person". In Autauga County, the VFDs and the Prattville FD use Code 6, except when its a city/county employee and then its a Code 7.

BTW, the radio call sign for the coroner in Autauga County is "89", from the code 10-89.

I don't mind the codes so much, but I wish there was a State standard that everyone would use....

Warren

SCPD

QRT
Air evac

so I am correct in saying that air evac ties in on ( uses) whatever frequency that is normally use for THe local FD/ or EMS when reaponding to the scene of an accident?... anyone have a list of Any freqs that may be used ?
Thanks
Paul

wwhitby

Feed Provider
AlabamaRS said:
so I am correct in saying that air evac ties in on ( uses) whatever frequency that is normally use for THe local FD/ or EMS when reaponding to the scene of an accident?... anyone have a list of Any freqs that may be used ?

Yes - i've heard them on the local fire (paid and volunteer) frequencies, as well as 155.010.

The only time I heard them on 155.010 was when they were talking to a Trooper about their landing zone.

Warren

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
AirEvac typically uses business band freqs - many times at 159 mhz. A check of the FCC database should uncover a listing for them. Peter S

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I checked the FCC database, and while they do have listings for Air Evac, they don't have anything (yet) for Air Evac 64 in Elmore. BTW, I drove by the airport and didn't see any antennas on their building.

Here's the full list of frequencies and call signs I found on the FCC's site:

152.930 - Huntsville, AL
159.795 - Jackson, TN
153.185 - Jackson, TN
173.325 - Harlan, KY
152.9975 - Woodbury, TN
173.325 - Huntsville, AL
173.375 - Blueford, IL
153.305 - Pisgah, AL
151.520 - Athens, TN
158.220 - Centerpoint, IN
153.215 - Kirksville, MO
159.810 - Lonoke, AR
153.605 - Cherry Valley, AR
158.370 - Fayette, AL
160.200 - Shelbyville, TN
158.370 - Elk City, OK

WPYH503
WQBD500
WQCD342
WQDK870

Warren

aa4vr

I live near Muscle Shoals, Alabama and I hear the Air Evac helicopters being dispatched on 160.140 mhz. So far, I've heard the dispatchers talking to Air Evac 16 and 58. The Air Evac crews also use the local F.D. frequencies when responding to a call and the "hear" frequency (155.340) when talking to local hospital emergency room personnel.
aa4vr

Steve

Air Evac 64 Frequency

On 10-12-06, I monitored 64 on 151.505 (DCS ?). The bird was inbound for landing in Rockford for LZ training. I was not quick enough to check to DCS.

SCPD

QRT
as per list Warren posted and other posts I put all freqs for air evac in my scanner on Friday & today Sunday I caught Air evac on 151.505 with DC code of 072 about 11:15am here in Montgomery
Paul

aa4vr

I have not heard a paging tone on 160.140. This sounds like the output frequency of a repeater with a short squelch tail. It could possibly be some sort of remote base system because the signal varies in strength. Several times I have heard one of the fire depts/resuce squads request air-evac and then heard them being dispatched on 160.140.
aa4vr

SCPD

QRT
air Evac

Also just caught a radio test on air evac freq of 158.220 approx 10:15Am on 10/20. No control ones

Status
Not open for further replies.