Air Med

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebee

I noticed that AirMed is no longer using ops1 id they are now using id# 17538 for a couple weeks. Has anybody else notice this change and if it is a tempoary or permanent change.

fireman1417

I had picked them up on Ops1 about a week ago, but I don't monitor LWIN every day. The 17538 ID seems to fall into the range close to some WBR channels, there are 3 listed in the database beginning with 175xx. It seems odd that a channel would have been selected out of the norm, by that I mean it appears the state has a pretty good plan for channel allocations with agencies/parishes/etc being contained to a certain group of numbers. I'll keep my ears open for them.

teebee

I just heard Air Med 3 on the same id# 17538. Earlier when I first posted hearing AirMed on that ID it was Air Med 2. So I assume they are all using this ID now. And by the way I do aggree on the ID assignments. That was the first thing I referenced to was the DB to see what parish was using the ID's with the first three digits

fireman1417

What tower sites you get most of your LWIN traffic off of? I'm in St. James parish so my scanner pretty much stays on the St. James tower unless I lock it out. I can catch the Laplace or Geismar fairly good but thats about it. I had left my scanner on search this afternoon on LWIN and also listened to the Acadian channels. They had alot of traffic on EMS3 but didn't hear any on the Ops channels. I'd like to monitor AirMed if I can catch them. I'm guessing maybe they only have the helicopters and dispatch on this new channel, so if ones not affiliating with the tower that my scanner's locked on at the time I won't catch them.

teebee

I monitor mostly Berwick, Jeanerette, St. James, Assumption, Grey and Theriot. Ocassionally I can pickup the Scott and LSU sites. I always hear Air Med on the Grey tower probally because there is an Air Med unit in that area most of the time and being assosited with that tower. Yesterday I heard them on the Theriot tower as well. I have heard them on the Jeanerette and Berwick towers a couple of times I guess that maybe because they were in those two areas at that time.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
According to PRO-96 com when decoding the control channel, the Ops 1 Channel is patched to that ID. Don't know why, but AirMed uses Ops 1 only for communications to AMOC (AirMed Operational Control). They may use I Call, I Tac or High band frequencies to talk to fire departments and such. As far as that ID I don't know what it is but only a Patch. Lock it out and you will still hear the traffic on Ops 1.

charlie12

I just heard Air Med 3 on the same id# 17538. Earlier when I first posted hearing AirMed on that ID it was Air Med 2. So I assume they are all using this ID now. And by the way I do aggree on the ID assignments. That was the first thing I referenced to was the DB to see what parish was using the ID's with the first three digits

I heard Air Med 4 today on 17538 off on LSP HQ tower

scannermaster2006

Premium Subscriber
Air Med uses the 700 system to communicate with the Air Med disp. Sometimes they will use the vhf system to talk to the main HQ. Air Med swaps over to the vhf fd frequencies to talk to a ground contact. The 17538 is the id that they use to talk to the SO/PD and sometimes the FD in Rapides parish, when a highband user isnt available.

teebee

Is anyone still hearing Air Med on Ops-1. I have not heard Air Med on Ops-1 for sometime now. The only place I am hearing all of the Air Med traffic is on 17538. About two - three weeks ago I did hear them on Ops-1 & 17538 at the same time but now Ops-1 is dead. All activity seems to be completly on 17538

teebee

I question I have wanted to ask for a while.
Does anybody have a complete list or any knowlege of all of the Air Med home bases/based out of. I hear different Air Med units talking, just not sure all of there particular areas.
I am pretty sure of the foolowing:

Air Med 1 - Lafayette
Air Med 2 - Houma
Air Med 3 - Baton Rouge
Air Med 4 - ? (Lake Charles or Alexandria)
Air Med 5 - ? (Lake Charles or Alexandria)
Air Med 6 - ?
Air Med 7 - ?

Not sure how many Air Meds there are in operation.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
i question i have wanted to ask for a while.
Does anybody have a complete list or any knowlege of all of the air med home bases/based out of. I hear different air med units talking, just not sure all of there particular areas.
I am pretty sure of the foolowing:

Air med 1 - lafayette
air med 2 - houma
air med 3 - baton rouge
air med 4 - ? (lake charles or alexandria)
air med 5 - ? (lake charles or alexandria)
air med 6 - ?
Air med 7 - ?

Not sure how many air meds there are in operation.

1 lafayette
2 houma
3 baton rouge
4 alexandria
5 lake charles
6 abita springs
7 lafayette
era 21 is another on that is contracted i believe based in lafayette, but not positive.

teebee

Wow two Air Meds in Lafayette, did not know that. I really was not sure if there were an Air Med 7 never heard one on the air just listed #7 in case there was one located somewhere else. I thought I heard an Air Med 6 once before on the Northshore but thought maybe it was based out of New Orleans.
So I suppose there is not one that operates out of New Orleans area.
One other question since Acadian Ambulance operates in the Orange, Tx & Mississippi area is there any Air Med units based for those areas?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I am not sure about Air Med, but I kow Pafford Ambulance also operates Medevac Helos over Northern LA, Southern AR, and Western MS. Dispatch and ops on 151.4975 136.5 PL, 155.0700 136.5 PL, and 155.1750 136.5 PL from AR.

teebee

Funniest thing all I was hearing on all area sites was Air Med solely on 17538 and nothing on Ops-1 for sometime now.
Now today all Air Med traffic I am hearing is on OPS-1 and nothing on 17538. Maybe it all depends what area you're in. Even though I was hearing all of the Air Meds state wide on 17538 on the Berwick, Grey and Assumption towers. Maybe other towers were transmitting on OPS-1 and 17538, again depending which tower you were monitoring. Only thing I can figure out. Bottom line it looks like they are back to OPS-1 at least for now in the Grey area.

WooBuff

Since the 17538 talkgroup falls in the range typically used by West Baton Rouge, I wonder if someone inadvertently left a patch in place on a console soewhere in that area.

Last edited:

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Airmed 7 is a backup Helicopter it is not in service 24-7. As far as ERA-21 on the schedule there is a medic assigned to it, but I have never heard it on the radio or know where it is other than it says Lafayette on the schedule. As far as Texas there is not a helicopter based there as of yet. In southeast Texas as needed AirMed 5 will go over there, but due to Texas operational guidelines, the medic from the ambulance has to fly in with the helicopter since it only has a pilot and one Medic. Texas requires two medics or a medic and RN.

jim1952

I pick up 1-6 quite often. I've never heard 7.
I read that only one was equiped for night flying, but I've heard 3 and 4(or was it 2) out after dark. My guess is that all of them can now fly-by-night.
The Lake Charles base is just a couple miles from my house.
I'm new at this, so I'm not sure if I'm picking up the helo's or it's just repeating from the base. I think though, that I'm getting the actual broadcast from the heliocopters.
Hopefully my new pro-197 will be here tomorrow, so I'll have one that all the functions work.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.