Air One over Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

shumadine

What is the story behind Air One that I hear over Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield on occasion? Does this plane fly 24/7? Does it just monitor the metro TRS system? Who funds it? Isn't this a little expensive to be burning this much aviation fuel, or does the quick response time and the eye in the sky justify the expense?

It is fun to hear him get from one side of town to another in oh about 5 minutes when needed. Just curious as to what the deal is up there....

jehm1212

There is a metro aviation partnership in place for the big three localities. I believe they have three planes, each with its own callsign (air 1, air 2...). I don't think it is up 24/7, only during peak hours, like afternoons and nights. It is used to assist many patrol functions, such as pursuits, search and rescue, etc, and also in surveillance. Every now and then you hear it pop up on the narcotics channels (when they're in the clear) and follow people for and hour or more.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Yeah they are not up 24/7 and I know they have at least two planes. I also know that it is a partnership between Chesterfield, Henrico, and Richmond.

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it isn't that interesting to listen to, but does anyone have any idea what airband frequencies the plane(s) might use?

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard AIR 1, AIR 2 etc., but I can confirm that Henrico, Chesterfield, and Richmond use Cessna's jointly to do police ops. They are based out of Richmond Int'l and their callsigns are METRO 1, METRO 2 etc.

Edit: Take a listen to 122.925 (AM) for their operations. It can be pretty interesting, especially if something big happens.

Last edited:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard AIR 1, AIR 2 etc., but I can confirm that Henrico, Chesterfield, and Richmond use Cessna's jointly to do police ops. They are based out of Richmond Int'l and their callsigns are METRO 1, METRO 2 etc.

Edit: Take a listen to 122.925 (AM) for their operations. It can be pretty interesting, especially if something big happens.

On many incidents they get on the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield/Colonial Heights TRS. They always ID as Air 1, Air 2, etc. on the TRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.