Air Ops?

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the air ops frequency is? I hear it used in Cullman County. They will have the FDs switch to air ops frequency. Wasn’t sure if it was the HEAR or not.

medic9351301

Banned

EMS​

Air Ambulance Communication

As of January 1, 2013, the Very High Frequency (VHF) for communications between air ambulances and ground crews will move to 155.3475. This change was made due to the high volume of traffic on the previous frequency. Additionally, the Alabama Forestry Commission has designated an Ultra High Frequency (UHF) 453.750 for those agencies with UHF radios to conduct Air Ambulance communications and landing zone coordination.​

Note: 453.750 may also be used as Fireground / Fire Tac or Talk by some fire departments.
FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
155.175BMEMS Tac-1EMS Tac-1FMNEMS-Tac
155.205BMEMS Tac-2EMS Tac-2FMNEMS-Tac
155.235BMEMS Tac-3EMS Tac-3FMNEMS-Tac
155.265BMEMS Tac-4EMS Tac-4FMNEMS-Tac
155.3475BMCSQMedevac VHFAir Ambulances VHF (Statewide)FMNEMS-Tac
453.750BMCSQMedevac UHFAir Ambulances UHF (Statewide)FMNEMS-Tac

wwhitby

Feed Provider
As of January 1, 2013, the Very High Frequency (VHF) for communications between air ambulances and ground crews will move to 155.3475.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard any traffic on that frequency in your area of the state? In my area, Haynes Lifeflight contacts the local fire departments on their frequency or MALE (aka, State Net)

medic9351301

Banned
Warren:
i have not in the birmingham metro.
i have heard them on state net as well as the hear back in the days and when i did most of the time it was to set up a landing zone . i have not monitored a helo in 5 years simply because 99.9 percent are inter hospital transfers(snooze fest) . Also most air medical dispatch is not even in the state. with Rams being the only one dispatched from jasper. air evac and lifesaver are dispatched out of state . most pt reports are given to the atcc either via phone or on a couple afrn talk groups . i do have a friend thats a leo and he has said they communicate on some 700 simplex freqs .
Its strange that the state so calls mandates them but since the airs/ afrn (or what ever its called this week lol ). has been put into place its rare to see a fire department in a big city to have vhf equipment installed . i know some are still on conventional analog freqs .

WX4AJM

Austin
I received Children's Care Flight on AIRS TG 40007 today from the Dale County sites. First & only besides the occasional county sheriff helo calls.

zac

Premium Subscriber
Warren:
i have not in the birmingham metro.
i have heard them on state net as well as the hear back in the days and when i did most of the time it was to set up a landing zone . i have not monitored a helo in 5 years simply because 99.9 percent are inter hospital transfers(snooze fest) . Also most air medical dispatch is not even in the state. with Rams being the only one dispatched from jasper. air evac and lifesaver are dispatched out of state . most pt reports are given to the atcc either via phone or on a couple afrn talk groups . i do have a friend thats a leo and he has said they communicate on some 700 simplex freqs .
Its strange that the state so calls mandates them but since the airs/ afrn (or what ever its called this week lol ). has been put into place its rare to see a fire department in a big city to have vhf equipment installed . i know some are still on conventional analog freqs .
you can hear lifeaver and southflight on 31039 on 800.

KJ4TDM

Feed Provider
I monitor Medevac frequencies and hear what I believe is a lot of traffic. Most of it is dispatch but they also still give patient info out also. Hospitals still do communicate with the helo's via analog radio also. I have a favorites group built out for the medevacs that is a mixture of analog and digital.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard any traffic on that frequency in your area of the state? In my area, Haynes Lifeflight contacts the local fire departments on their frequency or MALE (aka, State Net)

Likewise, I can't help with the Cullman County question.

155.3475 MHz is in a primary bank and I have never heard anything on it local or when travelling. Same as Warren says; here in Northwest Alabama, favored Air/Ground coordination is via frequencies of ground agencies. 0ther than that, V-MED 28 (HEAR) ,155.340 MHz, is the preferred alternate. I can't remember where, but I have heard A/G on 453.750 MHz while travelling in Alabama.

Fire and medical (especially med UHF) input frequencies are useful for hearing the aircraft side of an incident or transport. I have a bank of repeater inputs programmed for that purpose of mostly fire agencies within roughly a one hundred mile perimeter of the house. I-40 in Middle & West Tennessee can sometimes get wild!

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
VHF Air Med (155.3475) is used in Marion County as the primary frequency for landing zone coordination. I believe we are one of the few that adopted that channel after it was assigned. There was a big push for agencies to transition to that channel, away from VMED28 (HEAR) probably 10 years ago.

Not sure why it never caught on. It works out pretty well. I have heard it used very infrequently elsewhere in the state.