Air Travel with a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaw101

Premium Subscriber
I'm taking a trip to AZ soon and would like to take my HomePatrol. I plan to carry it in my carry on backpack. Anyone have any trouble getting through security with radios? Any tips? Example, should I keep charger and antenna in my checked baggage?

ecps92

Your Call on the Antenna, Charger.
But do keep the Scanner with your [theft] Carry On. You '''may''' be asked to turn it on, or even be picked for additional screening [swab check for explosives] but it is a minor inconvenience. Nothing more than what might occur to someone with a laptop and accessories

I'm taking a trip to AZ soon and would like to take my HomePatrol. I plan to carry it in my carry on backpack. Anyone have any trouble getting through security with radios? Any tips? Example, should I keep charger and antenna in my checked baggage?

SuperPhly

Premium Subscriber
I fly to/from washington DC to various locations in the US with bags full of handheld radios and equipment in my backpack a few times a year. I was only searched once and hilariously enough the TSA agent asked "What are these?" as she pulled 2 of the same handheld radios that she was wearing on her hip out of my bag. Alternatively, I had a small Yagi antenna in my checked luggage once and they took a razorblade to the bag and duct taped it back together when they realized it wasn't a threat.

Point being, no, haven't had any significant problems, and checking the equipment may be an even worse option if you value your luggage.

elk2370bruce

Just for safety's sake, take the batteries out and put them in a separate baggy. So long as you are not trying to use the scanner in flight, there is nothing illegal nor inappropriate. Have traveled for many years, both domestically and internationally, and have never had a problem. Even so, let the TSA ask a question or check the bag, you have nothing to hide.

NYRHKY94

I concur with the above posts. I take my Pro-106 with me on all of of my trips (pre-loaded with a V-Folder programmed for the area I'm heading to) and have not had any problems with airport security. Like the other guys here, I prefer to keep the scanner in my carry-on. I say take it with you and enjoy the hobby where ever you go :)

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
When you get to the belt that feeds the x-ray scanner, treat your scanner (Home Patrol) like a laptop... take it out of the bag it's in and put it in a bin to go separately through the x-ray. That way it will be treated like any other piece of electronics, rather than "discovered" in your carry-on.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Flying With Radios

When I went to Vegas, I had no trouble getting the radio through TSA's gauntlet line. Sometimes, they will ask to see the radio operate. Otherwise, have a blast. I have often wondered how one might use the the HP-1 GPS setup in flight. I don't know if they have outlets for power on all flights.

bigsky109

You shouldn't have any issues taking the device with you. I agree with others though. Don't check it in, take it with you. I have taken my handheld GPS many times on the flights and never had an issue. I have even used the GPS inflight and had the flight attendant ask what it was. I told her and she said it was OK to use it inflight. Some airlines allow the use of GPS inflight, but none allow the use of a scanner.

flaw101

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the responses! This will be interesting. I'll carry on the HP-1 and an Icom IC-91AD uhf/vhf transciever. I'll keep the ham license handy.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I take mine carry-on in a plastic baggie with copy of my ham license. I have a system/bank enabled with all the weather channels in case they want me to turn it on to show that it is a working piece of electronics. I've never had a problem but did get an extra search once because of a couple long antennas.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I just flew through several US and Canadian airports (in fact I am still languishing in one thanks to Air Canada's ineptitude) with a variety of radios, including two Home Patrols, a PSR800, a PSR500, a 396XT, and a Yaesu VX-8GR - and all the cables and chargers for each, as well as RH-77 antennas for every one of them (antennas about 14-16" long). All of this plus a netbook, iPad, and iPhone were in a typical "book bag" sized backpack.

YYC (Calgary) - no problems, had to study the bag in x-ray a little longer than other peoples' gear.
SEA (SeaTac) - not even a second glance.
ATL (Atlanta) - no problems.
TPA (Tampa) - Swabbed the bag and a quick peek inside to look at the three or four sets of spare AA batteries in plastic cases.
PHL (Philadelphia) - no problems.
YYZ (Toronto) - no problems.

None of it except the iPad and netbook were taken out of the bag at any checkpoint. I did not use any of it in flight except the netbook and iPad either.

flaw101

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jay. Heehee. That's similar to what I'll be doing, without the antennas. Netbook and iPad and iPhone included. But normally the iPad needs not come out of the carry-on bag. Good luck with Air Canada man!

flaw101

Premium Subscriber
Gator...good tip. I'll set it up for ham radio only. I'm going to carry chargers, antennas, etc. on board. I'll leave the Ram windshield mount in the checked baggage.

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
I travel with my pocket scanner on all domestic flights and have never had any problems. One customary proceedure I use is to program the scanner for the local NOAA Weather frequency at the departing airport and set the squelch to wide open. If the equipment is checked by security the moment it powers-up it's locked on a frequency with voice traffic, or white noise and this provides sufficent evidence of a working device. Kevin Parrish

canav844

On the rare occasion that I fly, I typically have at least one scanner, one ham radio (and one backup larger duck for each) and a DSLR with two lenses, never had them given a second look, but the procedure for my laptop going through screening is yet to be the same twice.

flaw101

Premium Subscriber
Well, in flight now with both radios in the knapsack. I left the radios in the pack. There was some delay as the operator was zooming in on things. He was pretty curious, but finally the bag came on through. As an aside, I love on board Internet.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
My carry on has so many chargers, point and shoot cameras, shaver and charger, that the 396xt and the generic uhf ht both with their antennas removed, just get ignored by tsa. My gps still shows 560mph top speed from when I turned it on at 30k feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.