Airband antennas for HTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Received my PSR-310 and am looking at getting one or more of the following antennas for VHF air band monitoring:

Crane SCA Gainer (Diamond RH771) - Crane SCA GAINER Antenna, Diamond RH771 Antenna

Laird V118 - V118BN - Antenex (Centurion) 118-127MHz BNC/Male Tuf Duck Antenna

Watson W-901 - https://www.scannermaster.com/W_901_Airband_Portable_Antenna_p/28-541174.htm

I already have a number of telescoping HT antennas, which work great, but I want something flexible for the field, not telescoping.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Airband Antennas For HT's

I replaced the stock antenna on my BC92 with the Diamond RH771 & it increased my local airports ATIS reception from pretty much airport line of sight 3/4 of a mile to about 2-3 miles out, I'm not familiar with the other two, hope this helps.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Actually it does - I will likely buy at least the RH771, but will probably look at others as well...

Thanks!

Turbo68

I use the Diamond-RH771/Watson-881 Super gainer performance is excellent on both monitoring the airbands use to have the Diamond-D777
changed locations few times even had the antenna 3 metres higher than my Icom-AH7000 discone perfromance wasnt good at all sold it my dad bought the D777 when they first came out after 4 weeks of changing locations different heights he gave up end it up throwing the antenna in the rubbish collection broken off course..
Regards Lino..

Last edited:

nanZor

Don't overlook just getting a dedicated airband replacement duck that comes with real VHF airband HT's. Icom makes the FA-BO2AR with bnc mount, Yeasu/Vertex has a few sma-mount airband antennas (ATV-10 - get airband version!) etc. Nice for field use. I've put some hurt / abuse on my Icom airband duck, that even the venerable Diamond RH77CA would not be able to take.

If your monitoring is mostly above 128 mhz, then the usual amateur 2m ducks work ok. Below 128 mhz, these specific airband ducks do make a noticeable difference for me. Earth shattering? No, but an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.