Airband frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker700

I have been using a Uniden SDS-200 to monitor Airband at home. In my pickup, I am currently using an Icom 5100A dual band Amateur transceiver with Airband receive only. I have also tested an SDS-100 in my pickup attached to the same antenna. ( switching back and forth, not both connected at the same time) The Icom seems to pick up a lot more traffic including what appears to be company frequencies that the SDS-100 misses. ( so does the SDS-200 in the house on a better antenna)
I am wondering if there are frequencies that are in use on Airband that are not in the Radio Reference database.
I have heard pilots talking to someone on the ground at an airport requesting cars for passengers that they will be dropping off. As well as assistance devices ( wheelchairs at times ) for some people. Also, I hear them telling them they will be taking on X amount of fuel.
The Icom just scans from the bottom of the Airband to the top and then starts over. It seems to have better audio and much more sensitivity than the Uniden scanners I have.
I have read in the past on this forum listing for Airline company frequencies and I have wondered if that is what I am hearing and if those frequencies are not in the Radio Reference Database.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
James
AKA: Trucker700

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Most of the frequencies your hearing this on likely are listed/documented here in the Radio Reference data base.
USA..
Canada..
And yes it's common to hear exactly that kind of talk anywhere you go, especially near mid to smaller facilities.
I don't think anybody strictly interested in air would recommend any SDS radio for that use, although capable, that's just not what they were designed to excel at.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
With regards to the Uniden line, search the forums
I am wondering if there are frequencies that are in use on Airband that are not in the Radio Reference database.
Yes, there are certainly small, often un-towered civilian airports unlisted in the DB but most if not all of them have their UNICOM ops on one of the common aviation frequencies on the page Brent listed above me. If you decide to continue to monitor air band, the SDS line will not do it to the degree an Icom or an analog-only Uniden will. Search the forums & you'll find rave reviews favoring the Uniden BC125AT for air band

737mech

Premium Subscriber
The communications you described as hearing sound more like FBO customer assistance. We have two FBO operations here in Las Vegas. Signature and Atlantic. They could be Airline Company freqs as well but many of them are now using ACARS for basic things. The RRDB is dependant on user inputs. Some of the info can be found on pilot information webpages like Airnav. Just look up any airport, at the bottom of the page and you will usually find the FBO information.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
Trucker700, what you are hearing that is not published on the RR data base are "Airline Company Freqs."...this is for pilots to call when they are about half an hour out from landing to call their respective airline and tell them about special needs pax., unaccompanied kids, and special requests. This info is confidential and not published. A lot of this info is now transmitted via ACARS.

On a separate note, I have an Icom airband receiver and it is "mind blowing" as to how sensitive it is, I pick up planes over Canada living in Ohio. You cannot compare Icom's, they are professional grade.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Both of my SDS radios were fairly deaf on the aviation frequencies. What I found was filters did not make a difference but function 7 applied to every Aviation frequency made all the difference. May not work in your case but IFX on every Aviation frequency did the trick for me.

Trucker700

Trucker700, what you are hearing that is not published on the RR data base are "Airline Company Freqs."...this is for pilots to call when they are about half an hour out from landing to call their respective airline and tell them about special needs pax., unaccompanied kids, and special requests. This info is confidential and not published. A lot of this info is now transmitted via ACARS.

On a separate note, I have an Icom airband receiver and it is "mind blowing" as to how sensitive it is, I pick up planes over Canada living in Ohio. You cannot compare Icom's, they are professional grade.
I kind of thought that was the case. I was just surprised how much more my Icom 5100A ( dual band Amateur transceiver) seemed to pick up compared to my SDS-100. I recently retired, (last December) from driving over the road. For the last 2 years, I used the Uniden SDS-100 in my truck ( 2004 Peterbilt) with a Larsen Scanner antenna mounted on the passenger's side mirror. Maybe it was the antenna I was using, but, it seemed to me that Airband performance was really good with that setup. As an example, I could be in Eloy, Arizona heading towards Phoenix and I could hear all kinds of traffic from the Sky Harbor airport near downtown Phoenix.(about 50 miles from Eloy) As I got closer, I picked up more and more. Once in Phoenix, I could even hear the control towers. After I retired, I thought I might mount the SDS-100 in my pickup because I felt it worked so well. I already had the 5100A in my pickup that I used on the drive to and from work each week to keep in touch with people I know.
Plus, since it had dual receivers, I would monitor a repeater that was popular locally, and on the other receiver, scan Airband. I thought the Icom really heard things well. But, I figured the Uniden would do as well as it had in the big truck. So far, for Airband use, that has not seemed to be the case. It's great on everything else, but, for some reason, not so good on Airband. Maybe I should install the Larsen on the pickup for the scanner to see if that helps. But, I may just do as others here have suggested and find a dedicated Airband scanner for the pickup.
Thank you everyone for your input. It is appreciated.
James
AKA: Trucker

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
James, try the Uniden BC125AT, great reviews...,plus the price is dropping, it used to be around $150 during the pandemic, now it is $100 at Amazon.

Trucker700

James, try the Uniden BC125AT, great reviews...,plus the price is dropping, it used to be around $150 during the pandemic, now it is $100 at Amazon.
I was just looking at Amazon and yes, the prices are dropping. I do appreciate the suggestion.
That is probably the route to go. I downloaded the manual and it doesn't seem that difficult to
program. Plus, it has some pre-installed ranges for different services to scan thru as well. That makes
it easier for someone as lazy as I am!!
James
AKA: Trucker

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for a base scanner, if you come across a Uniden 780XLT, they are amazing civil and military airband scanners. They are pretty long in the tooth now but I have one going next to me here monitoring O'Hare and Chicago center and nothing else I have ever used does as good as one of these.

MDScanFan

For what it's worth, I have both the 780XLT and 125AT. The 780XLT was my dedicated VHF air scanner until I picked up a 125AT. For stronger signals they both work fine. I found the 125AT has better audio recovery and sensitivity for low signals - this is very important for my reception scenario. The 125AT has replaced the 780XLT on my desk for VHF air. It is connected to an external VHF antenna.

If you are looking for a base scanner, if you come across a Uniden 780XLT, they are amazing civil and military airband scanners. They are pretty long in the tooth now but I have one going next to me here monitoring O'Hare and Chicago center and nothing else I have ever used does as good as one of these.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, I have both the 780XLT and 125AT. The 780XLT was my dedicated VHF air scanner until I picked up a 125AT. For stronger signals they both work fine. I found the 125AT has better audio recovery and sensitivity for low signals - this is very important for my reception scenario. The 125AT has replaced the 780XLT on my desk for VHF air. It is connected to an external VHF antenna.

I agree. The BC780XLT has a legendary reputation for the air bands but that was then (2000, 21 years ago)! Today it's still highly regarded by those who still have one but I don't think it still lives up to it's fame. There are better choices today.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm, Maybe I need a 125AT?

MDScanFan

I tested the 780XLT against the 125AT in different configurations for VHF air. This included trying a passband filter and an FM bandstop filter. The 780XLT worked very well but the 125AT noticeably edged out the 780XLT on weak signal reception.

That 780 should be great on airband. Maybe you need a FM trap?

ind224

My all time A/C fave will be the RS 2045, 12v input it just screams take me to the airport or airshow. Never actually touched an R535 but maybe someday....the 2045 changes modes with the touch of a button. Military use both AM and FM domestically and the BC780XLT takes 4 buttons pushes out of the box to change modes. I think there are some short cuts to learn but mode select is something that needs to happen in real time.
VHF air is going to be 118 to 136 and AM but military can be found into 136-142 as well in either AM or FM. 129-131 is a good range to scan for the dispatcher and passenger arrival arrangements but as mentioned you will hear pilots making those same transmissions on UNICOM or FBO specific frequencies. IMO scanners designed for digital modes are not the best for analog or VHF and lower. The Pro 197 is another dog on VHF and especially air.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Both of my SDS radios were fairly deaf on the aviation frequencies. What I found was filters did not make a difference but function 7 applied to every Aviation frequency made all the difference. May not work in your case but IFX on every Aviation frequency did the trick for me.
What is function 7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.