Aircraft frequencies for New London County???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quagmire69

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello all, I am looking to monitor aircraft frequencies in New London County in Connecticut.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm capable of monitoring, I shal tell you what kind of equipment I'm running.

RadioShack Pro-528-(Hooked up to a Larsen UHF wip on the roof)
RadioShack Pro-2018-(Hooked up to the same as above).

Thanks for your time.

I live in extreme Southern Illinois and I listen almost entirely to ARTCC high sectors above 24,000 feet and have done so since 1974. You should hear lots of airline flights and business jets along the Atlantic coast at high altitude between Boston-New York and beyond plus numerous airline operational frequencies in the 128.85-132.0 range.

Go to http://flightaware.com to see the IFR traffic above you. Simply type in the airport code of the airport nearest you and when the air traffic screen appears, click on it to enlarge it. You'll then see what's flying overhead in the ATC system to listen to. Everything shown is like 10 minutes behind in real time, however.

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL
mark_holmes@netzero.net

N1BHH

Go here: http://airnav.com/ and find the airports and facilities near you, lots of info to be found. You should also have something a bit longer than a 6 inch whip. VHF Airband antennas should be between 19 and 26 inches to work effectively. It'll help on UHF Airband as is. I get by fine with my 2 meter band quarter wave.

Quagmire69

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'll check out those websites. I'm not sure if my UHF if technically defined as a whip, It's a larnsen UHF and it's magmounted to my roof, It's about 2 1/2 tall and it's probably not more than 15 feet off the ground, But it works really good, Even on VHF.

Thanks for all the help folks, I'll let yall know how it works out for me.

EDIT-I plugged all the freq's in, So now I just have so sit back and see what happens.

Last edited:

JoeyC

It's about 2 1/2 tall and it's probably not more than 15 feet off the ground, But it works really good, Even on VHF.

If you think your 2 1/2 inch tall antenna is working really good on VHF, you might be a wee bit surprised when you connect one that is actually tuned to the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.