aircraft monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep it does; and a quick check of the Strong Signals models FAQ shows even the 2050 will handle civil air VHF. 73s Mike

mikepro96fan

I get great reception using my Pro 2017 base scanner..Have insulated copper wire antenna
connected, runs outside up to 50 ft in air via my decking..

hsdtech

I use a PRO-97 that works great, but wanted a dedicated base scanner. I have had several scanners in the past including the PRO-2006.
I just bought a PRO-2052 on ebay in MINT condition for $100. It's perfect for MilAir and I also have it PC controlled.
Look around, you might find a great deal. Just make sure that the scanner will scan UHF Air for serious MilAir scanning.
By the way, I use a Scantenna from A.W. and it works GREAT for MilAir.

Good Luck.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Well Turbo, a good place to start is the first two scanners you list in your signature. The Pro-96 and 2096 will pick up civil (VHF) air comms just fine. So don't buy anything else unless you need more coverage.

77nova

Aircraft monitoring on HF...

Hi All,
I have a DX-394...with a pre-amp..as well as an amateur radio with a good antenna.
Can anyone please tell me of any good freqs to monitor?...where there is lots of activity....?
any help would be great....many thks....

Luis_C

77nova said:
Hi All,
I have a DX-394...with a pre-amp..as well as an amateur radio with a good antenna.
Can anyone please tell me of any good freqs to monitor?...where there is lots of activity....?

Isn't like the Amateur Band, that in X frequencies there's many activity. Voice comms start at 117.95 to 137 Mhz AM mode. 108 to 117.90 is navigation. You might hear something similar to morse code, if you are near a VOR station.

I would suggest checking the sticky "PLEASE READ!! Looking for frequencies at a specific airport?" for find the airport frequencies near your location.

Edit: Wait, I think your receivers don't get that far. (Well you have a DX-394, I don't know about your amateur radio) you could try to listen to aircraft communications via HF for transatlantic flights. Don't have any info about it, I don't own a HF receiver.

Last edited:

aar9sm

Monitoring

Do you need both VHF and UHF Mil-Air? If so the Pro-2052 cannot be canged to AM in the 137-144range. ou need to state what areas ou would like to hear.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
77nova said:
Hi All,

C'mon folks let's stop mixing apples and oranges here; the 394 is a HF only radio. Fortunately it has SSB capability, so you can start here;

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/North_Atlantic,_Caribbean

Not every frequency in this list is in use every day; they rotate from time to time. You will need a decent antenna to hear this stuff; a good basic inverted L will do the job quite well with a minimum of expense. Our Antennas Wiki has numerous designs and pages on the subject of HF antennas.

Another thing you will need to understand is the subject of propagation - the science of how a signal on HF gets from point a to point b. If you have a license, you should already know enough of the basics to get you started; however, there are several links on our Utility Monitoring and SWL Monitoring wikis to get you going there, too. In general, now that we're approaching the fall season, stick to freqs above 9 Mhz or so in the day, below that at night.

Be more specific on which 'amateur radio' you have, and folks can better tailor their answers instead of taking shots in the dark. I'd also jump over to your state's forum and ask for local freqs, if the database doesn't already have them.

73s Mike

ind224

good air scanner

I'd have to say the Pro 2045.
You can select modes, get the 200-400 range and you can count the hits on the frequencies. The big knob to zip through channels is good too. You should be able to score one for less than $80. Very sensitive in the aero and I'm listening to 138.3 AM right now. Wizard One and Two. I also got Mercer County on 154.310 FM but we don't have a Mercer County in Indiana so I 'll have to look them up....

Unless I have the one junker out there, I would NOT use a Problem 96 for VHF air. Beyond deaf in both mobile and base installs. To get the most from the digital you have to open the squelch too much and then it opens on idle air channels/VHF.
Stu

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I got an old Pro-38 in 1990. I'm guessing a Pro-60 would be from about the same time. still work good?
just got a Bearcat 898T just for those milair freqs. $$ but so far so good.
73s
KMD3IE

hsdtech said:
I use a PRO-97 that works great, but wanted a dedicated base scanner. I have had several scanners in the past including the PRO-2006.
I just bought a PRO-2052 on ebay in MINT condition for $100. It's perfect for MilAir and I also have it PC controlled.
Look around, you might find a great deal. Just make sure that the scanner will scan UHF Air for serious MilAir scanning.
By the way, I use a Scantenna from A.W. and it works GREAT for MilAir.

Good Luck.

Just to let you know you could have gotten a "mint" 2052 from RadioShack for $99.97.

kmacka

aar9sm said:
Do you need both VHF and UHF Mil-Air? If so the Pro-2052 cannot be canged to AM in the 137-144range. ou need to state what areas ou would like to hear.

Mike

I have two pro-2052's and I am just getting into listening to milair. I heard that these radio's were pretty good for milair. I just need to know when I program in my list of milair frequencies, do I have to specify am or fm, when programming, or does it just know what to look for. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
The point made in the quote was that in the 137 - 144 milair range it doesn't do AM. Yes the radio defaults to FM. There is a hardware mod that can be done but I have no experience with that.
It works well on UHF and defaults to AM in the 225 - 400 milair range.

JoeyC

137-144 isn't a milair band. There are military and federal users there, however ground based, and mostly FM.

JoeyC said:
137-144 isn't a milair band. There are military and federal users there, however ground based, and mostly FM.

Um. You're wrong there. There are all sorts of A/A and some A/G comms in the 137-144 band in AM mode and it is indeed known as one of the military air bands in the milcom world. In fact it is one of the most active there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.