Aircraft Scanning Pilot Terminolgy

Status
Not open for further replies.

abr02

Premium Subscriber
Been listening a lot up here in Ventura, and hear many of the pilots say "Iron Man or Iron Man 2, and was curious if anyone knew what that was referring to.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
As Doctordialtone noted above;
The IRNMN2 KLAX STAR (Standard Terminal Arrival Route)
KLAX IRNMN TWO (RNAV) (STAR) ✈ FlightAware

The IRNMN2 STAR is a standard terminal arrival route. Aircraft approaching LAX will be assigned this STAR among others depending on direction they are inbound from and runway in use. LA center will clear aircraft to "descend via the IRNMN2 arrival" which tells pilots to comply with the altitude windows depicted on the arrival. Speeds must be complied with even in absence of the "descend via" phraseology, unless ATC assigns another speed. When switched from one frequency to another pilots will check on saying something like "Delta 123 flight level 2-3-0 descending via 'Iron man 2.'"

Here in Minneapolis we have one arrival called the "KKILR 3" so I am mildly amused every time I get to say "[company name] 7422 1-4-thousand descending via the killer 30L transition with whiskey"

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
ATC will most of the time be on point with correct phraseology (location depending of course). Pilots sometimes will and sometimes won't be as "correct." Especially when it's busy and especially in busy air-spaces such as LAX for example, it is normal for them to shortcut statements. Aircrew will check in with the next controller with the previous altitude instructions such as listed above. You may hear. "American 123, seventeen-five on the SEAVU with Mike" - translates to ...current altitude 17,500ft descending via the SEAVU2 arrival with information Mike (ATIS)"

Listen to aviation enough and you'll pick up on it. There are also SIDs (standard instrument departures) that are assigned to aircraft to navigate OUT of the airspace much like STARs help them navigate IN. I'm not up to speed on my LAX/ZLA proceedures so I don't know if they use any "climbing via" but if you hear departures check in with ....climbing via...that's what it means. And they work the exact same way as posted above: altitudes/speed as published on the SID except voided by previous ATC instruction.

"American 123 out of FL210 descending via the BEREE1 normal speed until DIETZ.."
--American 123 descending out of Flight Level 210 or 21,000ft descending via the BEREE1 arrival, deleting all speed restrictions until DIETZ waypoint, complying with the speed restriction at DIETZ, and all others after.
"United 123, eight thousand climbing via the BAYLR4"
--United 123, climbing out of 8000ft via the BAYLR4 as published.

All the extra info is edits that ATC made for traffic flow.

majoco

Stirrer
Can't you download all the SID's, Stars and approach plates in the US? Free online here from the gov't department.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned

nd5y

Another good map website is VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts.
The main difference between VFRMAP and SkyVector is that SkyVector can display the whole paper map including the edges that contain the map legends and frequency information depending on the type of map.
On VFRMAP the maps are seamless.

Last edited:

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
Another good map website is VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts.
The main difference between VFRMAP and SkyVector is that SkyVector can display the whole paper map including the edges that contain the map legends and frequency information depending on the type of map.
On VFRMAP the maps are seamless.

For what it's worth, on SkyVector you can toggle between seamless maps and the individual maps with margins. What always drew me to SkyVector was the flight planning, plotting, and distance info that can be created from that website; for that reason I have always preferred it.

Status
Not open for further replies.