AirEvac Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
For those of you with either one of the ADS-B receivers such as the RadarBox, which I own, you are able to monitor some of the AE/Lifteam helos which have the ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) installed. This piece of equipment is not yet mandated by the FAA but will be in the next couple of years. Right now I am only able to see the transmitted messages from the AE helos that indicate their assigned hex codes along with aircraft registration, aircraft model, assigned company/AirEvac EMS Inc, and their current altitude. They usually don't cruise above a few thousand ft MSL so you are really limited how long you can monitor them unless you have an antenna up high. In the future, when they transmit the full mode-s signal I will also be able to track them on the PC mapping. The ADS-B transmits on 1090.000mhz. Here are a couple of the helos I have logged:

hex code FAA registration Model Company Current Altitude
A20885 N230AE /AE-62 B206L AirEvac EMS Inc
A2F326 N29AE B206L "
A5E645 N48AE " "
A07526 N129AE " "

David

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Thats good info for us... as always! Just curious, did you get the base for the other N-Numbers listed (N230AE /AE-62, etc)? I am trying to make a list of the various choppers and their bases with N-Numbers to include in the DB or wiki for those aircraft spotters who like to keep track of those things (including me!)...

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
The helos I was able to log was due to them either passing through my vicinity or they had stopped here as BG is one of the maintenance facilities. I could not say which base they had come from. Their hanger is not very large and looks as though it can only accommodate a couple of aircraft with their blades folded. I'll do more digging and see if I can come up with a home base for these helicopters.

Dave

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hey Unitcharlie, you compiling the Helo list for just KY, or other states too?? *evil grin as a HUGE wiki databse springs to mind for ALL the Medevac Helos nationwide*

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I have been asked specifically for Kentucky and those outside that service Kentucky by an airplane freak, but will try to amass as many as possible.... I am not too wiki-conversant but will do what I can.... I am looking for specific N-numbers to specific bases.... For example I know that PHI 4 based at UK Med is N332PH, Air Evac 88 based at Harlan is N402AE, Wings 1 (Wings Air Rescue) I believe based at Johnson City, TN is N407WA.... there are others, just need to confirm them and organize the info.... Air Evac Lifeteam is the most difficult right now because they are apparently getting new choppers and reassigning N-Numbers.... Yes, if folks want to send me CONFIRMED N-Numbers, call signs and Bases I will try to organize them and keep them up to date.... (I am a medevac freak anyway....) Use the rr.com email and put the Call Sign and N-Number in the subject line and plz bear with me.....
Thanx for your work Dave, you are the resident Kentucky air freak!

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
For Gkolo,
I am not that familiar with SkyTrack other than it is used for tracking vehicle fleets, if I'm on the right track. The concept is the same as Mode-S or ADS-B. Looking at SkyTrack I don't know if some of the components are the same as ADS-B. ADS-B will become, eventually, the median for aircraft, eventually replacing the mode c transponder in the aircraft. This system will also be used in conjunction with TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system). ADS-B or the next/gen of air traffic control an be used in areas where there is no radar coverage, in other words, using satellites. I hope this makes sense. Also, let me know if I am correct on SkyTrack and my interpretation of it.

David

GKolo

I know when Air Evac here is airborne the comm center will tell them they have them on Sky Track and they are tracking.

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Looks as though Sky Track is used for fleet vehicle tracking. Looks like it uses GPS technology along with satellite equipment to track the AirEvac helicopters so it would appear that the system is separate from the ADS-B transponder. According to the AirEvac website, concerning the equipment on the aircraft, their helicopters use a Baker Mode-S transponder (ADS-B) and Sky Track Satellite Tracking. Hope this helps. With the ADS-B I can watch as they climb and descend also.

David

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
David, with your permission, I'd like to keep this thread going here for awhile somewhat off-topic.... Here is the first version of the list amassed thus far:
Medevac Call Signs /Bases/N-Numbers
(* indicates foto of aircraft available on-line at flightaware.com)

Air Evac Lifeteam 20100304
AE 10 (Hopkinsville, KY)
AE 14 (Albany, KY)
AE 33 (Middlesboro, KY)
AE 43 (Campbellsville, KY)
AE 56*(Danville, KY) N63AE
AE 62 (Bowling Green, KY) N230AE
AE 78 (New Martinsville, WV) N1821
AE 79*(Williamsburg, KY) N282AE
AE 81 (East Liverpool, OH) N319AE
AE 88*(Harlan, KY) N402AE

PHI Airmedical 20100304
PHI 1*(Morehead, KY) N305PH
PHI 2 (London, KY) N307PH
PHI 3 (Paducah, KY) N304PH
PHI 4*(Lexington, KY) N332PH
PHI 5 (Williamstown, KY) N382PH
PHI 6*(Greenville, KY) N383PH

Air Methods-Kentucky 20100304
Kentucky 1*(London, KY) N134LN
Kentucky 2*(Mt. Sterling, KY) N137KY
Kentucky 3*(Somerset, KY) N547AM
Kentucky 4 (Chavies/Hazard, KY) N132LN
Kentucky 5 (Frankfort, KY & Bedford, KY) N355AM
Kentucky 6 (Elizabethtown, KY) N534LN
Kentucky 7*(Louisville, KY & Bedford, KY) N136AE
Kentucky 8 (Glasgow, KY) N130LN
Kentucky 9 (Prestonsburg, KY) N546AM (joint w/HealthNet VII)
Kentucky 10 (Grayson, KY) N530LN
Kentucky 101 (Louisville, KY-Fixed Wing) N94KC
[Kentucky Spare*N131LN]

Wings Air Rescue 20100304
Wings 1*(Johnson City, TN) N407WA
Wings 2*(Morristown, TN) N511MT
Wings 3*(Jenkins, KY) N513MT
Wings 4 (Marion, VA) N516MT

HEALTHNET 20100304
HealthNet IV (Portsmouth, OH) N204HN
HealthNet V (Beckley, WV) N105HN
HealthNet VI (Buchannon, WV) N200HN
HealthNet VII (Prestonsburg) N546AM (joint w/Kentucky 9)​

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Great list Steve. By all means, keep the thread going as long as you see fit. I'll let you know if I have any more hits on different registrations that may pass thru BG.

Thanks
David

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
AE43 out of Campbellsville is N48AE

Here is the first version of the list amassed thus far:
Medevac Call Signs /Bases/N-Numbers
(* indicates foto of aircraft available on-line at flightaware.com)

Air Evac Lifeteam 20100304
AE 10 (Hopkinsville, KY)
AE 14 (Albany, KY)
AE 33 (Middlesboro, KY)
AE 43 (Campbellsville, KY)
AE 56*(Danville, KY) N63AE
AE 62 (Bowling Green, KY) N230AE
AE 78 (New Martinsville, WV) N1821
AE 79*(Williamsburg, KY) N282AE
AE 81 (East Liverpool, OH) N319AE
AE 88*(Harlan, KY) N402AE​

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Monitored from Bowling Green 03/20 1040lcl

Air Evac N29AE is east of Bowling Green westbound towards the Medical Center. RadarBox indicates 1400ft descending.

David

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
No other clues except he came from the east and since he was VFR there were no comms on ATC frequencies. When they are below 1500 ft I have a hard time getting them on the box. If he were to happen to still be on the pad when I go to work I'll do the direct approach and go find the pilot in the ER and ask him. BTW, I signed the family up for AirEvac membership, $50 for a family of 4 for a year. Not a bad deal when you consider a ride on the helo can be upwards of $10-12K. Whatever your insurance does not cover on the helo ride AirEvac will cover the rest. Oh, wait, with the new health care bill we will be told which helo we can use..LOL :lol:

venting
David

Status
Not open for further replies.