Airforce one Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
You can try the known Secret Service freqs, but most if not all are encrypted anymore. Local law enforcement will have some ramped up comms, but you really won't hear anything federal in nature for the most part. Of course, when AF1 is coming and going, scan the local MilAir comms and airport comms for some good listening.

While traveling from one place to another AF-1 uses normal VHF ATC communcations. Its really easy to hear if you are in range of them.

Unless you know Air Force One/Two is landing at an aiport near you, monitoring ARTCC high sectors above 24,000 feet would give you the best chance of hearing them.

I tape record the high and ultra high sector above me 24/7. It requires a lot of listening on a daily basis, but taping everything means missing nothing.

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL
markinillinois@webtv.net

Blkops

if landing near an USAF base monitor the "Security Forces" channels. They are all digital Motorola II (usually)

bpckty1

When POTUS and VPOTUS are on board:
POTUS: Air Force One
VPOTUS: Air Force Two

When the President/Vice President are on any military aircraft, the Department plus 1 or 2 is used. For example, when the President travels via helicopter, usually USMC, the helicopter is identified as MARINE ONE.

When Mr. Bush flew to the aircraft carrier, his plane was identified as NAVY ONE.

When flying without the VIP, the tail number of the plane is used.
Sorry, I don't have the tail numbers.

Hope this helps a bit.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
There was a post somewhere in the RR where someone posted the air traffic advisory for their local airport when Pres Bush visited them a few months ago. I think it was the VA thread, but really don't recall the exact one.

I think they provided a site for finding these notices.

Whenever the president or VP travel, their air space is restricted and the secret service post notices through the FAA telling when and where you cannot fly.

Now when Bush visited Iraq on Thanksgiving a few years ago, I don't think they made the announcement. Secrecy was more paramount in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.