Airline blames crash on crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepdx

Airline blames Buffalo-area crash on crew

Washington (CNN) -- Colgan Air -- under fire for hiring, training, pay and commuting policies after the
February crash of Flight 3407 near Buffalo, New York -- is blaming pilot error for the wreck, which killed all 49
people aboard and one person on the ground.

After the crash, Colgan said the pilot, Capt. Marvin Renslow, had failed three pilot tests, known as "check-
rides," before joining the airline, but had disclosed only one on a job application. He failed another two
check-rides while at Colgan Air.

Airline blames Buffalo-area crash on crew - CNN.com

Two things are for sure:
1. It's NEVER management's fault.
2. Dead man tell no tale (the pilot can't defend himself).

KC9NCF

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Failing three check rides? Holy heck, Batman! I thought the FAA would have had this guy on some sort of database! If you fail TWO check-rides I think you should be DQ'ed for life, but that's just me.

As a rule of the industry, let me tell you that the airline blames the crew for everything! If there is a severe weather delay, the management kicks the crew in their coconuts over it. If there is a tech delay, the crew gets the blame. If there is any kind of delay or any other problem that the crew had absolutely no control over and wasn't supposed to have any responsibility in, the crew catches hell for it and that's just reality in the industry.

The crews have enough stress and responsibility to deal with, without worrying for their jobs about things that aren't in their performance descriptions.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
So you buy a ticket with United Express, Continental Connection, or US Airways Express and half the journey is with Colgan. I don't think so... Colgan rhymes with Gilligan and you know what that means...

Even in Flight Simulator I knew to descend to regain airspeed. Not sure what margin they had there. Couple thousand and maybe you can climb back up for a go around. Who knows, when your iced up that's bad news. It's happened many times before.

Maybe manufactures will make some kind of deicing ability to those critical areas.

I believe the training polices have changed now for regional carriers to adhere to the same standards as the major airlines.

Last edited:

RayAir

Airline blames Buffalo-area crash on crew

Washington (CNN) -- Colgan Air -- under fire for hiring, training, pay and commuting policies after the
February crash of Flight 3407 near Buffalo, New York -- is blaming pilot error for the wreck, which killed all 49
people aboard and one person on the ground.

After the crash, Colgan said the pilot, Capt. Marvin Renslow, had failed three pilot tests, known as "check-
rides," before joining the airline, but had disclosed only one on a job application. He failed another two
check-rides while at Colgan Air.

Airline blames Buffalo-area crash on crew - CNN.com

Two things are for sure:
2. Dead man tell no tale (the pilot can't defend himself).
Yep, it's almost always "pilot error".

Good book-: They Called It Pilot Error by Robert L Cohn

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Two things are for sure:
2. Dead man tell no tale (the pilot can't defend himself).[/color]
Not defending the way Colgan handled that news tidbit - but 1) management didn't fly the plane incorrectly and 2) the pilot's actions are what matters, not why he did things.

Status
Not open for further replies.