Airline travel affected by disrupted communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) —Communications between an air traffic control center in Memphis and an unknown number of airplanes flying through its territory were disrupted on Saturday, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The outage began about 3:30 p.m. CDT when a car in Memphis struck a utility pole and severed a fiber-optic cable, FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said, adding air safety was not compromised.

Source: AP

Last edited by a moderator:

poltergeisty

Banned
I have to add to my own post here that I find it amazing in one case where ATC used their own cell phone's. Now I have read on this forum that using a cell phone on a plane proabbly wouldn't work too well due to the constant hops between cell sites.

Unless ATC called into the FSS for backup :lol:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
About six weeks ago the same thing happened at KLEX... it wasn't a car into a utility pole. It was some mystery bug that shut down the internet/computer service at the airport... The first indication of trouble came about 1030 when I heard a controller asking a private pilot if he'd mind contacting Cinncy Approach and giving them his cell fone number so they could have communications.... the Tower used Unicom and all the inbound/outbound aircraft talked to one-another about location, etc... it was really handled well by those involved.... I listened for most of the time comms were down and there was nothing of interest the entire time, just business as usual in a different sort of way!
collier

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26114281/

Memphis Center/KZME ARTCC was, again, plagued by a power outage yesterday due to a vehicle collision. I was not monitoring during the time. I did monitor the outage they had a year ago. Aircraft were being routed out of Memphis airspace into Indy, Atlanta, and Kansas City ARTCC airspace. Nashville Approach / Departure control assisted other surrounding centers with clearing aircraft out of center airspace until communications was re-established. Things can get pretty tense during outages.

David

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Communications between an air traffic control center in Memphis and an unknown number of airplanes flying through its territory were disrupted on Saturday, the Federal Aviation Administration said ... adding air safety was not compromised.

Communications were disrupted but air safety was not compromised? Hmmm...

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Safety was not compromised is something they put on everything so nobody sues.

I swear someday i'm going to read "an atomic device was accidentally detonated in the middle Los Angeles. Safety was not compromised."

poltergeisty

Banned
Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nuclear weapons "mistakenly" shipped to Iran, safety wasn't compromised, they're "nuclear power reactors". They beat their swords into plowshares and learned war no more. (Meanwhile back at the ranch Jenny got smashed and daddy... well... at least Clinton likes girls.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.