Airnav RadarBox 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Guys,

I just splashed out 99 quid on Airnav's RadarBox 3D software upgrade (I already own the box).

Mixed feelings about this long awaited offering from Airnav.

It is certainly pretty to look at, although it bogs down on my low spec laptop (Pentium 1,6Ghz, 2 Mb Ram, Intel 915G Graphics Card).

According to Airnav, you will need at least a 2.6Ghz sysytem with a decent graphics card and fast internet access to get the thing running smoothly).

That said, I found it worked well enough to get a 'feel' for what it is about.

Nice eye candy, but you soon get disorientated and lose track of what aircraft is where. I got a bit bored with it after an hour or so, and went back to the 2D Map View.

It is also very hungry on bandwidth and you can soon chew through your internet allowance running 3D.

All up, nice if you have a real fast, high end pc with a fast reliable internet connection and I can see the advantages of being able to quickly switch to a realistic view of a particulally interesting aircraft in 3D.

Not worth 99 quid though and I think Airnav should have offered it to RadarBox owners at a substantial discount, say even 10 quid or maybe even as a free upgrade.

If you are a diehard RadarBox user, I'd say get it. If you are a casual user who is a bit tight on $$$ then probably not worth it.

Any other user comments on RadarBox 3D ?

Cheers,

Paul.

D

DaveNF2G

I have been considering the purchase of a RadarBox for some time. I appreciate your comments about the new 3D variant.

brandon

Database Admin
They should have definitely given it to existing Radarbox users for free.
What really ticks me off is how Airnav make money off Radarbox user data and then charge the owners (who collected the data) to use the product. I would advise anyone to block the port and prevent sharing to avoid them milking their own customer.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Blocking Data(Port 7878) on RadarBox 2010 3D

Yup I agree with Brandon.
AirNavSystems doesn't give anything back to the user that send in data to them.

The port to block is 7878 on the router or firewall settings.
I'm sure many will block the data on the AirNav ShipTrax box too.

It's best to check the MAP a few minutes later. To make sure the data is blocked.
AirNav RadarBox - Real-Time Network Location Map

For info on blocking data sharing is posted on this forum.
RadarSpotters.eu Forum - Airnav Radarbox 2010 3D

Last edited:

minskie

Premium Subscriber
If you want my suggestion for a better option to RadarBox 3D, PlanePlotter has a new MySky feature that is far more entertaining and useful than RadarBox 3D.

Check it out; PlanePlotter from COAA

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
I've got the RadarBox 2010 2D and it works fine for me. No need to spend the extra $$ for something that is going to eat up every byte on my PC.

David

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to find quite a few bugs in RadarBox 3D too.

Strange considering the amount of time and the so called 'expert' panel of dedicated beta testers they had.

Last edited:

minskie

Premium Subscriber
hey,,can you ellaborate on this,,what do you mean,,bandwidth allowance?
can i ask what country your in?

thanks man,,Tom

Hi Tom,

I mean your download allowance. I'm only on a 4Gb plan and noticed since using Airnav 3D, I have gone through almost 1 Gig more than I normally would (just the past couple of days actually).

Be ok if your on an unlimited download with your ISP.

I'm in Suffolk, UK.

Paul.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
They should have definitely given it to existing Radarbox users for free.
What really ticks me off is how Airnav make money off Radarbox user data and then charge the owners (who collected the data) to use the product. I would advise anyone to block the port and prevent sharing to avoid them milking their own customer.

You don't use the RR database, do you? :wink:

minskie

Premium Subscriber
After a few days of 'testing' this new offering for myself, I've come to the conclusion that RadarBox 3D is total & utter crap and I'm going to request a full refund from AirNav.

Wish me luck, don't like my chances.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update minskie. I guess I wont be getting the 3D upgrade! Save some money for more scanners now :)
I sure hope AirNav doesn't try this 3D crap with AirNav ShipTrax product.

P.S Please keep us updated. If you get a refund from AirNavSystems company.

:roll: :mad: :( :twisted:

Last edited:

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update minskie. I guess I wont be getting the 3D upgrade! Save some money for more scanners now :)
I sure hope AirNav doesn't try this 3D crap with AirNav ShipTrax product.

P.S Please keep us updated. If you get a refund from AirNavSystems company.

:roll: :mad: :( :twisted:

It truely is aweful. Actually, from a programing standpoint, I have observed that everyting Airnav has produced (from 1999 onwards) has been substandard.

Really buggy, slow and clunky. An application like RB 3D shouldn't hammer a PC as much as this. Take flight sim as an example. Heaps more going on, frame rate wise, processing power required. etc.

This thing has but to display a few aircraft on a 2D or 3D map (Google). It should run well on a basic pc.
Actually, for what it does (or better put doesn't) do, a Commodre 64 should be able to cope.

Then you are at the mercy of Airnav's crap server, which always seems to be suffering from some problem and you have no 3D anyway. No great loss, but ***** what a circus!!!

It's ****e!

I have put in a request for a full refund and will post the outcome verbatim here.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Then you are at the mercy of Airnav's crap server, which always seems to be suffering from some problem and you have no 3D anyway. No great loss, but ***** what a circus!!!
It's ****e!

Lots of stuff wont work if the AirNavSystems Server is down/offline.
If the company ever goes out of Business/Bankrupt... Then the RadarBox 3D will never work!

If the network is down or the server processing is not working properly:
1. No network flights, delayed or live
2. No photo downloads
3. No route downloads
4. No weather lookup
5. No registration lookup
6. No alerts
7. No FTP logs
and now:
8. No 3D
(to use RadarBox 3D there has to be an active internet connection which, validates the 3D authentification and loads Google Earth.)
..or a combination of the above.

I'm glad with the Aurora Virtual Radar 3D product. The 3D doesn't need a server to make it work!.

fmoo7

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oi Paul, did thou scoff yer 3d software straight from Germany ole bean? If so, yer should've trotted on over to our own Radioworld In West Midlands, I scoffed it for 89 quid & whilst there, scoffed a Scanmaster Airmaster aeriel for a lit oer 41 quid too. haven't staked it up yet but a mint deal I figure, you a trot closer to Stansted or Norwich fields? Hae a jolly ole time mate. Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.