Airport Ops feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi gang,

Question for the group - how much interest is there in a feed for the Sky Harbor IR, which includes all airport operations talkgroups? Right now my feed is currently pointed at it since I got sick of fighting with the SDR (my WFM fix worked for a couple days and then the feed went wonky again) and I've spent the last couple days trying to get Broadcastify to approve it and update the title to reflect what I'm currently streaming. After a lot of back and forth, I found out that it may not fly (no pun intended) on Broadcastify due to their TOS, so if there's enough interest I will look into hosting it privately for the community. Since doing so will probably result in some hosting costs for me, I wanted to gauge the community's interest before committing to do it. Let me know if you want it, and if Broadcastify says no then I'll find another host for it.

Thanks guys,
-AZ

Edit: Just got the "no-go" from Broadcastify. I can host the fire/ems talkgroups but that's it. :( Let me know what you guys want - if you prefer just fire/ems I'll leave it here but if not then I'll find a new host.

Last edited:

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the offer. I can say from my end I probably would turn only it on when the was a airport fire response such as a ARF or Alert. I don't want to discourage you but I wanted you to have a realistic look from this end.

AZScanner

Thanks, Richard for your input. Right now the feed has everything on it, but it will be changed to Fire/EMS only tonight after I get home from work - I just need to hit scan on the scanner, LOL. It seems to be working OK, but I'm going to try and improve reception tonight as well. I live in a real bugger of a spot for the RWC but I'm within range of the Sky Harbor site and it seems to work better than the rest of the system does on my old dinosaur of a scanner.

The feed will contain the following talkgroups (unless you can think of any others I should include):
SKY EMERGENCY
SKY MAIN DISPATCH
IMS-1,2 and 3.

-AZ

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Sounds cool. I can never seem to get anything from the airport...odd since I live in the flight path on the east. I know that doesn't have anything to do with it, but...hahahaha

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
With only the talkgroups below, the feed will be dead except when there is an incident. The other Sky Harbor talkgroups are very boring anyway.

I like the idea as I cannot receive the Sky Harbor IR where I live. I will definitely turn on this feed anytime I hear an "Alert" dispatched on PHX Fire.

The feed will contain the following talkgroups (unless you can think of any others I should include):
SKY EMERGENCY
SKY MAIN DISPATCH
IMS-1,2 and 3.

-AZ

kd7ckq

How about adding this one.
2858 b2a D SkyHPD - VAL Sky Harbor PD to All Valley Police Departments Link
Bummer Sky Harbor IR is limited to five TG's.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

The Sky Harbor IR isn't limited to 5 talkgroups. The Terms Of Service listed by radioreference/Broadcastify only allow certain kinds of channels/talkgroups to be broadcast. And those 5 are what would be allowed under their TOS.
The 2858 Sky Harbor PD-To-All talkgroup wouldn't be heard on the Sky Harbor IR. He'd have to include Simulcast A, which he can't receive realibly at this point.
About two weeks ago, I heard a call for a car fire in one of the parking garages, and I heard mention of IMS-2, I think it was, in the dispatch, in addition to A-7 or A-8, whichever fireground channel it was assigned to. So, it may be that the IMS tallkgroups are used for more than just Alerts at the airport.

kd7ckq

Yes, I understand that the TOS is limiting what he can put on the feed and that is why I was bummed. I should have been a little clearer in my statement.
Since I don't frequent the valley much these days. My current knowledge of how the Sky Harbor IR works is lacking. I do have it in my scan list when I do get to the valley. But, often the only time I listen to it is as I pass by on my way to mesa or to pickup family at the airport.
If that is all that the TOS will allow, hosting the Sky Harbor IR may not be worth it.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Just a suggestion, but if something needs to be added to fill the feed, how about the AM frequencies like Tower, Ground Control, etc. Chances are if emergency equipment is needed you will hear it on one of those first. Also the police/fire equipment have to communicate with Ground Control as the traverse the field.

AZScanner

Just a suggestion, but if something needs to be added to fill the feed, how about the AM frequencies like Tower, Ground Control, etc. Chances are if emergency equipment is needed you will hear it on one of those first. Also the police/fire equipment have to communicate with Ground Control as the traverse the field.

Great idea! I'll have to look it up, but I believe there is a dedicated AM channel for emergency comms so that the fire department can talk to the flight crew and tower if needed. I'll add that, as well as PFD A8 since that's where most of the airport calls end up. I'll also have to see if I can have the feed automatically alert when there's a major incident - since PFD has their CAD online I should be able to write a quick and dirty little VB program to watch for those and update the feed's alert status accordingly.

In other news, I need to email support again as the TOS page won't let me acknowledge the TOS. :roll: It's been like pulling teeth to get this feed up. It's going to be a work-in-progess for a while, so watch this thread for more updates and please keep the suggestions coming. All are welcome.

-AZ

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It has been 2 years since I have listened to Sky Harbor, but they used to use 134.850 ground frequency for emergency aircraft after they land. I assume it is still valid. Phoenix tower will assign the freq after they land.

Fire units will talk directly to aircraft to direct them after they have landed. If you are able to receive aircraft on the normal ground frequencies, then this would be a great freq to include. You have to be close to receive it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.