Airport Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why the Airport Authority PD is bing dispatched on the Sheriff dispatch channel, instead of their own?

bigbluemsp

smartboy06 said:
Does anyone know why the Airport Authority PD is bing dispatched on the Sheriff dispatch channel, instead of their own?

Beacuse the Wayne County Metro Airport Authority Police is under the unbrella of the Wayne County Sheriff's Department.

Not to mention that WCSD Communications, Traffic Enforcement, and Computer Crimes is run out of a building on Airport Property.

bigbluemsp

This is off my buddies site which I help with. I am the patch person there and help with the memorial and sell stuff as well.

Michigan-Wayneairport.jpg

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
Technically, WCAAPD and WCSD are two separate agencies of the county. Although they are dispatched out of the same room in building 358 (Middlebelt just south of Lucas Dr.) and often by the same dispatcher, WCAAPD is usually dispatched on channel 4A (57456) and the Sheriff is usually dispatched on F-1 (57872).

But today, both agencies were being dispatched on 57872. So I was just wondering if there was just a problem with 4A or if there was an outright policy change.

bigbluemsp

They are seperate agencies but the Airport cops still fall under the direction of the Sheriff. Just like Motor Carrier is seperate from MSP but they fall under their direction.

Seperate agencies but same unbrella..

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I heard that Wayne County obtained some new ASTRO radios. Any word on when the Airport Police and Sheriff are making the switchover to Project 25?

73's

Ron

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
bigbluemsp said:
They are seperate agencies but the Airport cops still fall under the direction of the Sheriff. Just like Motor Carrier is seperate from MSP but they fall under their direction.

Seperate agencies but same unbrella..

A good friend of mine is a State Trooper who has been a Motor Carrier Officer for 20 years, they are a division of the Michigan State Police.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1593_3536-14749--,00.html

MetalManMI

smartboy06 said:
Technically, WCAAPD and WCSD are two separate agencies of the county. Although they are dispatched out of the same room in building 358 (Middlebelt just south of Lucas Dr.) and often by the same dispatcher, WCAAPD is usually dispatched on channel 4A (57456) and the Sheriff is usually dispatched on F-1 (57872).

But today, both agencies were being dispatched on 57872. So I was just wondering if there was just a problem with 4A or if there was an outright policy change.

This has been occuring quite a few times over the past few weeks. When they are short staffed (as with yesterday where we would normally have a minimum of 4 dispatchers on that shift...we only had 2), they simply patch WCAAPD channel "A" (dispatch) and WCSO channel "1" (dispatch) so one dispatcher can cover both from a single console.

Unless these "channels" are patched, you won't hear the same dispatcher working both at the same time. Normally, these two consoles are diagonally across the room from each other...a little too far for a dispatcher to run back and forth between the two! However, all dispatchers DO rotate between the four consoles each day so they are all cross-trained on Airport PD/Fire, Sheriff, LEIN, etc.

It was kind of hectic a few weeks ago when they were short staffed and they shut-down LEIN all together for nearly an hour while dispatchers rotated their breaks. It left us hanging out there until a road patrol supervisor (WCSO) started running LEIN from the station until communications got a dispatcher back on the LEIN console.

"Do more with less"

MetalManMI

Thunderbolt said:
I heard that Wayne County obtained some new ASTRO radios. Any word on when the Airport Police and Sheriff are making the switchover to Project 25?

73's

Ron

All of our Astro capable radios have been reflashed and reprogrammed to allow for compatibility on the statewide system (including mobiles and preps). Currently, we are using certain talk groups on that system on a daily (yet limited) basis.

As for now, the question of "when" is just a bunch of rumors and guesses within the department.

Status
Not open for further replies.