Airport Security and Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger628

Premium Subscriber
I have to fly and I want to take the scanner in my carry-on. Has anyone ever had a problem with
the people in airport security about them, such as, what is this, what does it do, etc?
A few years ago I flew with an older handheld (old PRO26) and I plugged in one of those speakers that looks like a mike with a coily cord and told them it was a CB-that satisfied them. I have no intention of using it, I just don't want to put in checked baggage.

Last edited:

omrail

i have taken my scanner a number of times with out being asked what it was. the person x-raying it may take a shot sec to have a longer look at it. if you are flying to the US remember you can not take it as carry-on as it is not on the list of stuff. when flying in Canada and the USA nothing was ever asked

jbuchy

Premium Subscriber
Jim

Last time I flew to Halifax from here in Edmonton [about a year ago] they asked me what it was then asked me to turn it on. They wanted to make sure it was functional and not an empty case filled with something sinsiter, I guess. Didn't bother me any. Of course, it HAD to be OFF during take-off and landing. I don't know about cell phones, but it it certainly possible for a scanner to interfere with flight crew to tower communications.

wuzafuzz

I've taken my ham radios and scanners on airline flights numerous times. Always in my carry on bags. Never had an issue. They've never even asked me to turn them on. I don't use them on board the aircraft, just don't want to put them in checked bags.

MrVelvet

Took my scanner through airport security in August. They asked if they could look in my bag further after it went through the xray and I simply told them what it was - no problems.

colby4601

Took my scanner through American and Canadian screening after the Christmas Day terror attempt and had no problems at all.

gs_new

I just flew out of Toronto Pearson to Regina last week. I had my GRE 500 in carryon bag. The guy must have been having a bad day, he drilled me for like 5 minutes. Finally I reached over and turned it on, it chirped and then he let me on my way. First time i have been even asked about it though....

kc8mvw

I've flown multiple times with HT's, both Ham and business band, in my carry on on domestic US flights. Was only hassled twice, once I just showed them my license and was on my way without problem. The second time I had it on auto scan when I turned it on and it stopped on the tower freq; again, showed them my ham license and was on my way.

I have used it on the plane as a receiver without problems, never during takeoff / landing. I don't believe you will have any problems once you explain what it is.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I flew in in the States with mine in carry-on just after the Xmas skidmark bomber incident and had no problems. I was dissaponted to find out though that it did not work at all at 30,000 feet. I guess the zero reception had something to do with being inside what is essentially an aluminum can. Knew I should have listened more at school when we talked about that Faraday guy....

questnz

I always take my scanner on overseas trips. Always in carry luggage as I discretely like to scan airports communication sitting somewhere on the side trying not to attract paranoid passengers or security people. Number of times I was being asked what it is? My standard answer it is a scanner RADIO not a TRANSCEIVER. Here is my experience from various trips over few years, some multiple entries.
New Zealand - no problem
Australia - Brisbane and Sydney questioned, advised to remove batteries from scanner when in transit
no problem when terminating flight
Brunei- no problem
Phillipines - Manila - questioned, advised to remove batteries from scanner
Malaysia - KL no problem
Amsterdam - no problem
Frankfurt - no problem
Warsaw, Poland - no problem
Singapore - despite scanners are illegal, no problem
I thing it all depends on the security people on the day, Last few trips I was using cheap Uniden 93 with earpiece, reasons:
rugged to carry in the backpack, running on AA batteries, have Close Call, no big deal in case some stroppy official will confiscate one day!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I flew in in the States with mine in carry-on just after the Xmas skidmark bomber incident and had no problems. I was dissaponted to find out though that it did not work at all at 30,000 feet. I guess the zero reception had something to do with being inside what is essentially an aluminum can. Knew I should have listened more at school when we talked about that Faraday guy....
I found the opposite at 30,000 ft or above. Typically sit next to window and monitor signals hundreds of miles away. I use NOAA channels as a reference to where I am and what I can monitor.
Flying south out of Alberta to Vegas or Pheonix you can monitor several statewide radio system.
Montana Public Safety, Idaho state system and my fave, UCAN in Utah. From the air you can catch Las Vegas Metro NW district 100~150 miles out descending in to the Vegas area via Utah.

Only once I was caught on a flight from Edmonton to Chicago, I told the stewardess it was an IPOD, she did'nt bite, she said put it away, Now!!!

I guess with these new scanners with SD cards, I can probably get away with it. we'll see. :)

N

N_Jay

Since this topic of "Scanner through security" is drifting into "Scanner use in the air", I would remind (or inform, for those who have not been here long) everyone that the use of a scanner on a commercial aircraft in flight is illegal.

There are MANY threads on the topic, but before anyone goes off the handle, this has nothing to do with 9/11, terrorism, security, making you use the air-phone, not disturbing your neighbor, concern over hearing aircraft communications, or any other "why won't they let us" stuff.

It is the same restriction that has existed in receivers (and transmitters) just about forever.

OK, now go use your search and if anyone wants to continue teh argument do it in teh thread you feel is closest to your rant. ;)

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
N_Jay,
I'm sorry for any part I may have played in posting, or causing to be posted drift-like or ranty contributions in this thread.
It won't happen again.
Firmly on the handle,

questnz

Correction, in case I was misunderstood. Personally I use Scanner at the Airports open areas only. Never in the departure lunge or in the aircraft as I don't want to attract unwanted attention. Too many security people and too many cameras observing. I yet to see any sign that "YOU Cannot use Radio when entering this Airport"

SCPD

QRT
Since this topic of "Scanner through security" is drifting into "Scanner use in the air", I would remind (or inform, for those who have not been here long) everyone that the use of a scanner on a commercial aircraft in flight is illegal.

Guilty as charged Judge Judy....

questnz

Yes, your Honor, send me down to the Dungeons
I will never use scanners again, trust me!

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I would remind (or inform, for those who have not been here long) everyone that the use of a scanner on a commercial aircraft in flight is illegal.

The question that begs to be asked is:

So what?

If you don't like seeing it discussed, don't click on the thread.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Cool, It's a battle of the Jays! In one corner we have Alberta by way of Pickering Jay and in the right corner we have Chicagoland suburban by way of Delaware but I never ever divulge anything else about me N_Jay! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.