Airport travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

memo124

Has anyone travel with their scanner through the Dallas airport? I'm traveling next month and would like to take mine on board.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Its been a while since i traveled with mine, make sure you have charged batteries in the scanner. It being an electronic device they may ask you to turn it on and make a noise.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I always take my scanner and have never had a problem, even going out of the USA. I usually have at least one HT for ham use, but you should check with the radio association of the country where you are headed before you leave. Without an official letter I obtained before traveling to and from one country, I might still be waiting to be allowed on my flight when returning.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This thread has been repeated many times. The TSA doesn't seem to care about radios. They do get excited once in a while about coax and wires, but I check those through. On the other hand, it's worth pointing out that the FAA doesn't want you to operate radios on the plane for either receiving or transmitting. If you fly frequently get a Known Traveler Number and/or a Global Entry Card. I'm usually through check points in a minute or two even at LAX. Check with ARRL for overseas operating. Some countries I've visited, like Ireland, have no formalities. Just bring a copy or your license. For Japan you need to allow a minimum of 6 weeks to get a permit. Then there are countries where you don't want to bring a radio PERIOD. Check before you travel. Scanners may be illegal in some countries and useless in others due to encryption and cellular like communications systems. Ireland uses the 66-88Mhz band for fire and TETRA for police. Fire may have switched too.

Enjoy the scenery and take pictures. You can do radio at home. Be sure to get an overseas calling plan for your phone. Watch out for pick pockets. I had three or four people try for my wallet in the Metro in Paris in one evening.

memo124

This thread has been repeated many times. The TSA doesn't seem to care about radios. They do get excited once in a while about coax and wires, but I check those through. On the other hand, it's worth pointing out that the FAA doesn't want you to operate radios on the plane for either receiving or transmitting. If you fly frequently get a Known Traveler Number and/or a Global Entry Card. I'm usually through check points in a minute or two even at LAX. Check with ARRL for overseas operating. Some countries I've visited, like Ireland, have no formalities. Just bring a copy or your license. For Japan you need to allow a minimum of 6 weeks to get a permit. Then there are countries where you don't want to bring a radio PERIOD. Check before you travel. Scanners may be illegal in some countries and useless in others due to encryption and cellular like communications systems. Ireland uses the 66-88Mhz band for fire and TETRA for police. Fire may have switched too.

Enjoy the scenery and take pictures. You can do radio at home. Be sure to get an overseas calling plan for your phone. Watch out for pick pockets. I had three or four people try for my wallet in the Metro in Paris in one evening.

Thank you. And yes, that's what I heard about not scanning during flights. I'm not planning on it. Just as soon I hit ground I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.