Airports not being associated with Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way that when you download multiple counties using Uniden Sentinel's Load frequencies in a range, that it will put the Airports in the County they belong in? I have Airports listed by several different names or Call Letters that are scattered everywhere. I believe this could be corrected in the RR Database easily enough. Thanks.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Is there a way that when you download multiple counties using Uniden Sentinel's Load frequencies in a range, that it will put the Airports in the County they belong in? I have Airports listed by several different names or Call Letters that are scattered everywhere. I believe this could be corrected in the RR Database easily enough. Thanks.

What area, specifically, are you referring to?

The general answer is that it depends in large part how the software interacts with the database, or how you tell the software to interact with the database.

With very few exceptions, airports in the database are associated with the county they're in (including Dalton Municipal Airport near you). However, if you're looking at ATC frequencies that cover multiple counties or even an entire state, those would be listed as regional or statewide rather than as a specific county.

Smaller airports have no specific assigned approach/departure frequencies apart from the wide-area ATC frequency for the area they're in. In addition, frequencies such as Unicom may be shared among several airports in different counties. I suspect one of these may be what you're seeing, and when you tell the software to load all frequencies in a range, it will grab all the airports using a particular frequency.

Last edited:

gh6406

Premium Subscriber

The general answer is that it depends in large part how the software interacts with the database, or how you tell the software to interact with the database.

With very few exceptions, airports in the database are associated with the county they're in (including Dalton Municipal Airport near you). However, if you're looking at ATC frequencies that cover multiple counties or even an entire state, those would be listed as regional or statewide rather than as a specific county.

Smaller airports have no specific assigned approach/departure frequencies apart from the wide-area ATC frequency for the area they're in. In addition, frequencies such as Unicom may be shared among several airports in different counties. I suspect one of these may be what you're seeing, and when you tell the software to load all frequencies in a range, it will grab all the airports using a particular frequency.

As you can see in the attachment, several airports are listed, but not under their counties.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 338

rwier

Hi Gary,

Being fairly familiar with the Sentinel Software, I was confused by "... Uniden Sentinel's Load frequencies in a range ...". Also, using Sentinel Software, both for the HP-1 and the *36 pair, I am unable to get to a screen that matches your screen grab. Please instruct as exactly how one gets to that screen (your screen grab).

Thanks!

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gary,

Being fairly familiar with the Sentinel Software, I was confused by "... Uniden Sentinel's Load frequencies in a range ...". Also, using Sentinel Software, both for the HP-1 and the *36 pair, I am unable to get to a screen that matches your screen grab. Please instruct as exactly how one gets to that screen (your screen grab).

Thanks!

Ok, I start Sentinel (this is for the 436hp/536hp), On the second tab from left, Click Edit, then third item down is Add Channels on Range. I click on that, choose my zip code, which sets the cooridinates, then I choose 50.0 mile range. I select the service types on the right side, and import to a favorite list. The attached screenshots show what I get and the order they are listed. As one can see, the Airports do not list in the counties that they should be in. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. I just think that the airports should be in the county as all other services are.

Attachments

• Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 248
  • Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 331
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 314

gh6406

Premium Subscriber

Hello Tom. What I am saying is, if you will look in my post #5, the bottom screenshot, there are several airports listed that are not in their county "lists", but are listed all by themselves. The Amateur radio data always is listed as a "department" maybe under their County "System" if that makes sense. But the Airports are not, which makes it impossible to just Listen to one county "system" and hear all of that counties traffic. The area I live in is Whitfield County, Ga. If you look in RR database for Whitfield county, as most all counties I have looked at, you will see a Tab at the top for Amateur Radio. You do not have to do anything special when downloading or make any changes, and it automatically puts those Ham Radio frequencies where they belong. But it will not put the Airports where they belong. Thanks for your help and anyone else who may help.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hello Tom. What I am saying is, if you will look in my post #5, the bottom screenshot, there are several airports listed that are not in their county "lists", but are listed all by themselves. The Amateur radio data always is listed as a "department" maybe under their County "System" if that makes sense. But the Airports are not, which makes it impossible to just Listen to one county "system" and hear all of that counties traffic. The area I live in is Whitfield County, Ga. If you look in RR database for Whitfield county, as most all counties I have looked at, you will see a Tab at the top for Amateur Radio. You do not have to do anything special when downloading or make any changes, and it automatically puts those Ham Radio frequencies where they belong. But it will not put the Airports where they belong. Thanks for your help and anyone else who may help.

Gary,

What you're seeing is a function of the software, not the database. All of the data in the database is made available to the software, but we have no control over how the software authors actually use or display that data.

Just as Amateur Radio data is listed under that tab, Airports are listed in each county under the "Other Agencies" tab which includes businesses and other services. As far as Whitfield County and the Dalton Municipal Airport, I confirmed that it is listed within the correct county; as a test, I used Butel's ARC536 software to confirm that I was able to select Whitfield County then retrieve and download only the Dalton Municipal Airport; it worked fine.

I think your only choice would be to delete the airport data you're not interested in, or perhaps restructure your query.

Last edited:

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Gary,

What you're seeing is a function of the software, not the database. All of the data in the database is made available to the software, but we have no control over how the software authors actually use or display that data.

Just as Amateur Radio data is listed under that tab, Airports are listed in each county under the "Other Agencies" tab which includes businesses and other services. As far as Whitfield County and the Dalton Municipal Airport, I confirmed that it is listed within the correct county; as a test, I used Butel's ARC536 software to confirm that I was able to select Whitfield County then retrieve and download only the Dalton Municipal Airport; it worked fine.

I think your only choice would be to delete the airport data you're not interested in, or perhaps restructure your query.

Ok Tom, this is what I get using ARC536. When I start Arc536, choose import from database, choose my state (Georgia) and then choose Whitfield County. As you can see, it will automatically load the Amateur Radio Frequencies, without having to go back in and search for them. I think the Database is where the Problem is. The airport is listed, but you have to know the Name of the Airport before you can go Search for it and then Download it as a separate file. I think when you choose to Download Whitfield County Conventional Frequencies, That it should Download ALL Conventional Frequencies INCLUDING Airports. All County Pages are set this way as far as I can tell. If you do not know the name of the airports surrounding you, you can not search the database for them.

Attachments

• Capture 4.jpg
    Capture 4.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 156

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Gary,

If you will notice in this Screenshot, You have to scroll all the way to the very end almost to Locate Tom B David Field. I am sure everyone knows where that is and what county it is in. No, they don't, It should be downloaded when you download the Gordon County File.

Attachments

• Capture 5.JPG
    Capture 5.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 234

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ok Tom, this is what I get using ARC536. When I start Arc536, choose import from database, choose my state (Georgia) and then choose Whitfield County. As you can see, it will automatically load the Amateur Radio Frequencies, without having to go back in and search for them. I think the Database is where the Problem is. The airport is listed, but you have to know the Name of the Airport before you can go Search for it and then Download it as a separate file. I think when you choose to Download Whitfield County Conventional Frequencies, That it should Download ALL Conventional Frequencies INCLUDING Airports. All County Pages are set this way as far as I can tell. If you do not know the name of the airports surrounding you, you can not search the database for them.

If you will notice in this Screenshot, You have to scroll all the way to the very end almost to Locate Tom B David Field. I am sure everyone knows where that is and what county it is in. No, they don't, It should be downloaded when you download the Gordon County File.

Gary,

The information is being downloaded in the appropriate county file. As I mentioned earlier, all of the information in the database is made available to the software (or the radio, as shown by the state file in one of your screenshots). This includes state and county associations, categories, subcategories, and so on. How the software providers or radio manufacturers use and display the data is outside our control.

In Sentinel, I had no trouble locating Tom B David Field (for Gordon County) and Dalton Municipal (for Whitfield County) listed under the "County Systems" section for each county.

As regards ARC536, airports, businesses and so on are "other agencies." Once you select the desired county, you have to click the Agencies button to access that information.

The information is there; you just need to work with each software package or radio to figure out where they display it during the import process. You may find it easier to create custom Favorite lists to further customize how you see the data.

rwier

Ok, I start Sentinel (this is for the 436hp/536hp), On the second tab from left, Click Edit, then third item down is Add Channels on Range. I click on that, choose my zip code, which sets the cooridinates, then I choose 50.0 mile range. I select the service types on the right side, and import to a favorite list. The attached screenshots show what I get and the order they are listed. As one can see, the Airports do not list in the counties that they should be in. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. I just think that the airports should be in the county as all other services are.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I was searching the help/manual options for "Load frequencies" instead of "Add Channels". That being said, I also get unsatisfactory results using this function/feature of the software.

First, just a pet peeve concerning this software feature. To "Add Channels on Range", one must uncheck so many "Service Types" for each experiment it becomes very bothersome. Why couldn't the software open with no STs checked, or allow mass unchecking of STs (Windows Functions)?

Tests:

1) Selecting my Zip and 50 miles Range and ONLY the Aircraft ST, returns a single Airport (Deer Valley) located about 6 miles away. There are actually at least 11 airports in that range that can think of. Said single return enters the FL under Airports Maricopa County.

2) Selecting my Zip and 50 miles Range and STs Aircraft, Federal, Military, Other, and Transportation, returns two airports. The same one as Test 1 together with "Luke Air Force Base", which is entered in the FL under United States Air Force (3D6).

Both of these results reflect nothing resembling the actual airport situation within 50 miles of my location. A very interesting and valuable feature if it would work correctly.

Thanks again!

D

DaveNF2G

If you right click in the Service Types menu, I believe there is a popup menu with selections to enable or disable all.

EDIT: Just checked in Sentinel - the feature is there.

rwier

If you right click in the Service Types menu, I believe there is a popup menu with selections to enable or disable all.

EDIT: Just checked in Sentinel - the feature is there.

Thanks Dave! I see it also works for QKs (same option screen).

Status
Not open for further replies.