AirSpy Clones on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

A cloned anything is buyer-beware. They can tout all the tolerances they want, it's a knock-off.

plus, you order it now...who knows how long till the Wuhan hype is over. Might see it by November?

morfis

Never looked I (don't use ebay, won't look at the link) but as Airspy is open source hardware there is no real reason why someone shouldn't make a clone.
Isn't there a thread about the msi sdr running ...that would seem to be another airspy clone.

....whether they make a fully functioning one is a different matter.

DRL-XM43

.... and what is it with Airspy's even real ones.... seems like every forum I visit has a bunch of "my Airspy isn't/won't/can't do ........ (fill in your own beef) :)

(Save the backlash - this is me trying out humor on your planet.)

mancow

Database Admin
I bet we start to see the "I never received ..." posts soon everywhere as the Chinese sellers continue to collect but are either dead or locked in a hell hole with no product to actually ship. Can't say I blame them.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I bet we start to see the "I never received ..." posts soon everywhere as the Chinese sellers continue to collect but are either dead or locked in a hell hole with no product to actually ship. Can't say I blame them.

I have bought *many* items from the Chinese and all have come--some amazingly fast. the HackRF 1 SDR (another public design receiver) I bought from them out performed ones bought by US "makers". Upon inspection (opening it up), it was better made with shielding the US "maker" charges extra for and the Chinese was about half the price. The Chinese want repeat customers while the US wanted profit. I have env had the Chinese add extra things at times (like when things were slightly delay) but those were trinkets or once even bicycle gloves (that were small and probably made for a girl--but at least there was an attempt. The attacks on the Chinese remind me of those decades ago on the Japanese and now we know (at least some of us admit), the Japanese make better cars)>

morfis

you mean that part where the buyer gets to tell them what they should declare the value as? :unsure:

I know not how Customs work on imports to the USA but in Europe items have to have a declared value. If That declared value is below some figure (don't know what it is offhand as I'd use a slightly different method of declaration for 'amateur radio equipment') then no duty is liable. Obviously the Customs people can still stop and check items so there is a risk of it being held. For low value small items people often tell the seller to put a lower value on the customs docket. Sometimes to avoid duty entirely, sometimes to reduce it (eg. your new £5000 only being marked as Camera/value £1000 - there are a couple of companies in Hong Kong who actively encourage this practice though it's started to bite them recently).
I guess a lot of the Chinese sellers invite users to do this now.

a417

I ordered a replacement soldering iron heating element from ebay in December, and it hasn't been received yet. Ebay's official answer on behalf of the seller is "shipments out of China are being delayed". :whistle:

mancow

Database Admin
No sense in ordering anything now that's not available by 1 or 2 day Amazon shipping. Once that's gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.