Airspy coming soon.. :) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

I noticed that a very recent update of SDRSharp, last week, included a front end plugin for Airspy.
Presumably, that means the little device that we've all been waiting patiently on for so long, is not far off being released into the wild.

Bring it on already!!!

I've saved $600 by not buying the latest Uniden offering and the money is starting to burn a hole in my pocket :)

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I've stopped holding my breath on this one. I'll buy one when it comes out but I bet it'll be months.

There was some discussion and speculation in the pertinent Yahoogroup that because this is a relatively "small" project it's possible that the parts companies aren't interested in dealing with the builders as quickly, because of the smaller quantity of parts required. I'm not sure if there's any truth to this or not but it seems logical.

I'm still waiting for the HF/VHF transverter for my BladeRF, months after I purchased it and was charged for it by Nuand. Others have waited far longer for me. Their communications skills improved with regards to updating us on the status, but they seem to have gone silent again.

The communication from the Airspy folks is at best marginal, and they seem to get a bit perturbed by inquiries as to when it'll be available. On the contrary I would think they'd be pleased with the level of interest. Maybe I'm misreading them. I bet we don't see it until at least fall. That's fine, a better product will probably result, but a little bit of communication doesn't hurt.

I didn't buy the new Unidens either, and I'm glad for it given the volume of negative posts read here and elsewhere.

SCPD

QRT
The RF frontend (R820T) used to be produced massively and cheaply for DVB/DAB-T 10 bucks dongles.

I think manufacturers and suppliers have now "revalued" these chips for the hobby SDR market.
Bad news for anyone wanting to develop something cheap in mass production, depending exclusively on 3rd party integrated RF devices.

Paul
PD0PSB

Status
Not open for further replies.