Airspy mini vs RTL-SDR

RichM

I started with the $30 RTL-SDR Blog V3 to learn about SDR and to make sure it would work with my older duo core laptop. This was money well spent as the learning curve was a bit steep. After much trial and error I was able to find an older version of SDR# that worked well with my computer, the RTL dongle and the fast scanner plug-in. After a lot of adjusting and tweaking I was able to finally get respectable band search times. I use it to search the large MilAir band 225.00-380.000 MHz.

Once I got the bugs worked out I ordered an Airspy Mini hoping for improved sensitivity, rejection of RF and faster scan speeds with the old laptop still being the wildcard. The Airspy Mini specs claimed it would work with my duo core so I gambled on their claim. It shipped the following day and arrived 2 days later, more than twice as fast as Amazon took with the RTL-SDR. The Airspy is truly plug and play. The computer recognized it, searched for and installed the driver and it was up and running. No need for Zadig to create a driver, which by the way is not actually included in SDR#. The Zadig folder that comes with it is empty so it had to be downloaded separately adding to the set up confusion for a novice like me.

After adjusting the gains (there are multiple gain stages available) for optimum SNR and adjusting some of the filters for clear sound it’s performing beautifully. While it sees more bandwidth for faster band searching the real kicker is it’s improved sensitivity. I am now able to turn the fast scanner detect level down to 70 for that lightning fast speed and it still catches everything. With the RTL-SDR it had to be set at 120 and above to reliably stop on active signals, dramatically slowing down the speed. The fastest speed I could achieve was around 10 seconds but it would still sometimes scan right over active signals. Now I‘m searching the entire band in 3.5 seconds and it reliably catches everything every time. Signals are cleaner sounding and well centered and the faint signals are now breaking through the noise floor.

The old saying “you get what you pay for“ really holds true here. Performance improvement is like night and day even on my marginally capable computer. The RTL-SDR is still a good value for the price and a good tool for the tool box. But the Airspy Mini is a well designed, high performance, plug and play device that really raises the bar.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Once I got the bugs worked out I ordered an Airspy Mini .... It shipped the following day and arrived 2 days later, more than twice as fast as Amazon took with the RTL-SDR.
Did you order from Airspy.us, or itead (or other)?

Dirk_SDR

I started with the $30 RTL-SDR Blog V3 to learn about SDR and to make sure it would work with my older duo core laptop. This was money well spent as the learning curve was a bit steep. After much trial and error I was able to find an older version of SDR# that worked well with my computer, the RTL dongle and the fast scanner plug-in. After a lot of adjusting and tweaking I was able to finally get respectable band search times. I use it to search the large MilAir band 225.00-380.000 MHz.

Once I got the bugs worked out I ordered an Airspy Mini hoping for improved sensitivity, rejection of RF and faster scan speeds with the old laptop still being the wildcard. The Airspy Mini specs claimed it would work with my duo core so I gambled on their claim. It shipped the following day and arrived 2 days later, more than twice as fast as Amazon took with the RTL-SDR. The Airspy is truly plug and play. The computer recognized it, searched for and installed the driver and it was up and running. No need for Zadig to create a driver, which by the way is not actually included in SDR#. The Zadig folder that comes with it is empty so it had to be downloaded separately adding to the set up confusion for a novice like me.

After adjusting the gains (there are multiple gain stages available) for optimum SNR and adjusting some of the filters for clear sound it’s performing beautifully. While it sees more bandwidth for faster band searching the real kicker is it’s improved sensitivity. I am now able to turn the fast scanner detect level down to 70 for that lightning fast speed and it still catches everything. With the RTL-SDR it had to be set at 120 and above to reliably stop on active signals, dramatically slowing down the speed. The fastest speed I could achieve was around 10 seconds but it would still sometimes scan right over active signals. Now I‘m searching the entire band in 3.5 seconds and it reliably catches everything every time. Signals are cleaner sounding and well centered and the faint signals are now breaking through the noise floor.

The old saying “you get what you pay for“ really holds true here. Performance improvement is like night and day even on my marginally capable computer. The RTL-SDR is still a good value for the price and a good tool for the tool box. But the Airspy Mini is a well designed, high performance, plug and play device that really raises the bar.
I have both receivers and cannot confirm such a large sensitivity difference between the two.
Are you sure the RTL-SDR Blog V.3 is original or one of the many copies?

wgbecks

It’s not uncommon to see a variation in SDR self-noise among similar makes and models whereby some devices achieve a better overall
SNR than others and thus improved sensitivity.

Last edited:

RichM

The RTL-SDR Blog V3 is not a copy. I can’t offer a concrete technical explanation but in my situation (computer, location etc.) the Airspy works markedly better. YMMV

Ubbe

Airspy Mini uses the same receiver chip R820T or R860 as RTL-SDR that uses a low Q tracking filter but the difference seems to be:
"In Oversampling Mode, the Airspy Mini applies Analog RF and IF filtering to the signal path and increases the resolution to up to 16-bit using the software decimation. The net result is Spectacular Performance!"

/Ubbe

Cheeseburgers

I've been using 4 x Nooelec SMArt dongles, the black metal enclosed ones, with SDRTrunk and they're hands down better than any scanner I've used, with the exception being Todd's P25rx... which was an outstanding performer. Been toying with the idea of investing in a Airspy...

boatbod

Airspy Mini uses the same receiver chip R820T or R860 as RTL-SDR that uses a low Q tracking filter but the difference seems to be:
"In Oversampling Mode, the Airspy Mini applies Analog RF and IF filtering to the signal path and increases the resolution to up to 16-bit using the software decimation. The net result is Spectacular Performance!"

/Ubbe
Might I inquire what magic incantation is required to activate oversampling mode?

rabbit108

Might I inquire what magic incantation is required to activate oversampling mode?
It is activated by decimation. You are limiting ADC bandwidth to increase Dynamic Range; that's the tradeoff.
https://www.analog.com/en/technical...mic-range-of-sar-adcs-using-oversampling.html

The RTL-SDR V3 only has a dynamic range of about 50 dB because its ADC is only 8-bit.

See also:
why we need to use the oversamplling followed by '' decimation method ''to increasee the ADC resolution and not oversampling followed by ''averaging'' . - C2000 microcontrollers forum - C2000™︎ microcontrollers - TI E2E support forums

Last edited:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Well, I would hope the $100 Airspy would kick the $30 RTL's behind. I have a pair of RTLs and I'm looking into setting up a private remote feed with them. They'll be fine since it's local stuff transmitting from 2 miles up the road. My struggle is trying to get Windows, drivers, SDR software and devices to work together is like trying to get a room full of trouble making children to play nice together. Just when you think you've got it about to work....

rr60

Premium Subscriber
My SDR has been solid for years however this thread motivated me to move on the mini. Itead had it shipped ($4.25) the next day. Waiting. Thanks all.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
My SDR has been solid for years however this thread motivated me to move on the mini. Itead had it shipped ($4.25) the next day. Waiting. Thanks all.
Purchased on the 6/22, shipped 23, arrived today the 29th. Impressive.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Good times ahead
Finally got some time w Airspy. First impressions vs SDR. Dx’d some tropo on FMB and P25 TRS. Compares driving a school bus vs sports car, two buck chuck vs a Napa Cab so on. Very fine device.

Trying to figure out what warp adjust did on UT had to go -5.5 to zero in on CC center.
Can’t imagine new device was off frequency.

Yes good times ahead.👏

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
I've been using about half a dozen of the RTL-SDR V3's (the legit ones) for about 2 years now, but as someone mentioned above.. you get what you pay for. They work, but I have frequent issues with either software or hardware. Does anyone have any experience with the Airspy on 800mhz Trunked systems? I personally use SDR Trunk, but I also have Unitrunker v2.

CanesFan95

Finally got some time w Airspy. First impressions vs SDR. Dx’d some tropo on FMB and P25 TRS. Compares driving a school bus vs sports car, two buck chuck vs a Napa Cab so on. Very fine device.

Trying to figure out what warp adjust did on UT had to go -5.5 to zero in on CC center.
Can’t imagine new device was off frequency.

Yes good times ahead.👏

I actually had 2 AirSpy Minis that were off-frequency and had to ship 'em back under warranty (the dealer wouldn't instruct me how to use the calibration software which I found inherently unclear to use). But they were all good when I got 'em back. They perform slightly better overall than the RTL-SDR V3s and are better at preventing bleedover interference.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I've been using about half a dozen of the RTL-SDR V3's (the legit ones) for about 2 years now, but as someone mentioned above.. you get what you pay for. They work, but I have frequent issues with either software or hardware. Does anyone have any experience with the Airspy on 800mhz Trunked systems? I personally use SDR Trunk, but I also have Unitrunker v2.

I use an Airspy all the time with DSD+ (Fastlane) do do a P25 trunked system.

I also use an Airspy on my Android phone (not for P25 or trunked) but for conventional AM (ATC) and FM (NOAA weather, amateur, etc.).