Airspy purchase .. and SDRPlay in the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I just bought an Airspy .. :(:(

Well .. not that bad of a thing, but I think I have had my SDRPlay for about 4 days now.

It will be up for sale soon.

The reason .. the SDR# software is being crippled for the SDRPlay.

It is the only software the kinda works .. I wish there were more options. But sadly .. SDR# is the only game in town and he knows it.

Why cannot people just play in the sandbox already ?

But .. another $300 down the tubes.

Last edited:

br0adband

If you just bought the Airspy, I'd say return it. Don't sell it to someone else for any reason - return it for a refund on the purchase price from the seller. If people want to send a clear message about the situation with SDR# and SDRplay support, I can't think of a better way to do it than to make the developer of Airspy realize that treating customers in such ways just to stifle competition can come back to bite you in the keister. There's nothing that perks up a developer trying to make a profit faster than yanking the profits out from under their feet, basically.

As for SDR# being "the only game in town," it's not, it never really has been considering there are many other products available - SDR-Radio aka SDR-Console has been in development for years and is one of the the best SDR applications period even in spite of it not particularly offering the type of plugin support that SDR# has built up over the past 2 years or so. Don't get me wrong: I do love SDR#, and I happen to use common "cheap USB TV Tuner" RTL-based sticks for my SDR duties, and I'm well aware of the current SDR# issues with respect to using SDRplay's RSP hardware but I continue to use SDR# anyway.

I've already decided to purchase the SDRplay RSP so, again, the clearest message you can deliver is one where you simply choose not to do business (in terms of cash exchanging hands) with said developer so Airspy lost me as a potential customer for several reasons, price being important sure but the actions of the developer towards a competing product nailed it for sure and that was that.

I'm not entirely what this thread is supposed to be about, to be honest, so ignore my rambling if necessary but as I stated in that post I made in the other thread, I think the whole idea of attacks on Airspy's developer will eventually prove fruitless here - I'd like to think the members of RadioReference are a bit higher quality than the general population of the Internet at large and don't allow ourselves/themselves to get pulled down into the general muckraking that pushes activity online so often. :)

salamalekum

Duplicate Account: MrxBurrito
Banned
Why would SDR# people allow SDRPlay people to use their software after everything done? I find it a bit ridiculous that people blame SDR# for this. When they only know half the story. Check out their twitter account and look for yourself. You will realize this is not one-sided as you may think it is.

SCPD

QRT
Unfortunately .. the losers in all this are us, the users.

I cannot return it .. cause all the other software sucks. I have tried them all. SDRConsole doesn't work well with SDRPlay.

The SDRPlay will likely be sold off as long as the Airspy reasonably works. Unfortunately .. the hardware is only as good as the software.

I know this probably as much as anyone as I am a software developer myself. This **** is why I do not develop software for anyone but myself.

Last edited:

Flatliner

I just bought an Airspy .. :(:(

Well .. not that bad of a thing, but I think I have had my SDRPlay for about 4 days now.

It will be up for sale soon.

The reason .. the SDR# software is being crippled for the SDRPlay.

It is the only software the kinda works .. I wish there were more options. But sadly .. SDR# is the only game in town and he knows it.

Why cannot people just play in the sandbox already ?

But .. another $300 down the tubes.

Why would you sell your SDRplay?? Youseff's aggressive marketing strategy has made money from you, and you've got a limited product in return.

SDR# isn't the only option, far from it. SDR-Radio works very well, and is far superior to SDR#. I'm using SDR-Radio almost exclusively now. It's only a few plugins that were written by other people that make SDR# worth anything at all. All these things are being addressed in SDR-Radio v3, of which Simon is writing right now. I think that you've simply had problems getting SDR-Radio running on your PC. I also use HDSDR a lot too. Someone has worked out how to scan with it too. And this will happen. As SDR# falls out of use (as it is) other applications will fill the slot. Nature abhors a vacuum.

If you want SDR# with the working plugins, just use version 1361. I have it with working frequency manager and other plugins, which works with SDRplay perfectly. Several of us also use SDR# ADSB with SDRplay.

SCPD

QRT
I have used SDRConsole and never could get it to work well. Maybe the future will be different.

I sent you a PM .. I would be interested in trying the old version .. mostly for ADS-B. I have scanners .. and the SDR is just a toy to me.

I am working on getting all my frequencies into the frequency manager of SDR# .. but it is in XML and XML sucks donkey nuts. :wink::wink:

I am not doing anything right now with the SDRPlay .. but I will decide what I will do when the AirSpy arrives. Should be maybe before Christmas.

Flatliner

In the UK we can cancel off-premises orders, under the "Distance Selling Regulations" act. Even when it arrives, we can simply send it back within, I think, seven days.

I cannot give you SDR#, but it's easily found on the internet.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Ask yourself this, about Airspy...do you really want to depend on support from a company that has been nothing but underhanded? They've made it clear they'll resort to anything to try and make a profit.

br0adband

Regarding the SDR-Radio/SDR-Console issue(s), if you contact Simon (the author/developer) I'm sure something can or will be done - things could already be in progress as it is and you're just not aware of it or maybe you are, I don't know. I don't own an RSP yet but intend to get one whenever I'm able to get the funds together, certainly, and I haven't seen anyone make any outright claims about major issues with that application and the RSP so far at the Yahoo Group for SDR-Radio.

As SDRplay/RSP is still relatively new to market - it's only a few months old - I would say it takes time for developers to get their applications up and running with new(er) devices as they come along but they do eventually get things worked out. Obviously the developers of such applications need feedback and bug reports from people using devices like SDRplay/RSP and even Airspy lest they not be made aware of the problems.

Just my opinions, mind you, and I am definitely looking forward to finally getting an SDRplay/RSP to work with.

Hell, if you don't want the SDRplay because of the incompatibility, I'll give you a shipping address. :D (just kidding but hey, I never know...)

victorspecial

Premium Subscriber
I have SDR Play and use it with SDR Console. I like them both. SDR Console is a very powerful program that takes some time to learn but is far superior to SDR#. I also have an Elad FDM s-2 and us it with SDR Console sometimes as well. The SDR Play is set up for VHF and up and the Elad for HF.

I refuse to even load SDR# anymore. No need to support people who don't support me.

SCPD

QRT
I requested a refund for the Airspy and it has been processed, and I think everyone else should do the same.

We need to show Mr Y that we cannot be bullied. :wink::wink:

eorange

Good move. I have the SDRplay because I think it's a better unit. Even though I'm disappointed that the SDR# team can't figure out how to make it all work...I'm sitting tight on it, confident that better software will prevail.

MrxBurrito

Premium Subscriber
One word. Gullible.

People making a stand against Yousseff et al. is all good. But, there is always two sides to a story. And people here are been easily fooled with what they think happened. Do more research and you will find out that both parties here are at fault on how things came to what they are now.

I own both units. I had two SDRPlay units and ended up selling one because of this whole fiasco.They are both great units. But, people forget the fact that SDR stands for Software Defined Radio. Without software support, you can't define the radio. The truth, that as a stand alone piece of software SDR# is just like any other. But, their plugin system is unparalleled right now. The other great thing about it. It is constantly being improved. And by constantly I do not mean every few months, or every few years. More like every few weeks, or even every few days.

Right now SDRPlay users (on Windows) have pretty much two options. HDSDR and SDR-Radio Console, both great but with very very slow development. And both lack a plug-in system or native options that will satisfy the interests of a huge user base. That is the reason SDR# is so successful.
SDR-Radio console is great but, there are still so many issues with the RSP that using it becomes a project with very little enjoyment.

Maybe one day businesses will start caring more about their customers. Maybe.

SCPD

QRT
No issues with the SDRPlay itself .. it is a great unit and more sensitive than any scanner or receiver I own. That is a good enough reason to love it for me.

Last edited:

MrxBurrito

Premium Subscriber
No issues with the SDRPlay itself .. it is a great unit and more sensitive than any scanner or receiver I own. That is a good enough reason to love it for me.

Not sure what to make of your post. Maybe you didn't intend to quote mine. I never said nor implied there was an issue with the SDRPlay hardware. I will just quote myself, just in case "They are both great units..." Maybe I didn't read what I, myself wrote? But, once again. Maybe you intended to quote someone else's post since what you replied has nothing to do with what I wrote.

But, then again. It could be another one of those posts where people pretend that the loss of SDR# support for the SDRPlay has no effect. So wrong, so very wrong.

Flatliner

Why would SDR# people allow SDRPlay people to use their software after everything done? I find it a bit ridiculous that people blame SDR# for this. When they only know half the story. Check out their twitter account and look for yourself. You will realize this is not one-sided as you may think it is.

I'm assuming that you have inside information that the rest of us are not party too. Please explain in detail. And also, what did users of the RSP do to SDR# exactly?

salamalekum

Duplicate Account: MrxBurrito
Banned
I'm assuming that you have inside information that the rest of us are not party too. Please explain in detail. And also, what did users of the RSP do to SDR# exactly?

Inside information? Nah no need for that... Everything they did the did publicly. The threats to use contacts in Shenzhen (this I find to be extremely hilarious),to derail the Airspy, and trying to use a well know plugin developer as leverage, the distribution of bootlegged software, the constant public bashing. You don't need insider information. Part of it even happened here right on this forum.

So, to answer your question, THAT is what the Official "Unofficial" Support User Group of the SDRPlay did. What did you expect, for SDR# to sit back and take it and be ok with all that? Expecting them to do nothing is pretty naïve don't you think?

Do you really need more?

eorange

Ha ha, nice spin job there. You conveniently forget that SDR# started all this by excluding SDRplay with the lame .NET 4.6 excuse, which turned out to be just the start. And then as enthusiasts started to share WORKING versions of SDR#, somehow this got labeled as 'bootleg' software among SDRplay owners, as if we were doing something wrong.

Nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.