AirSpy R2 reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeen

Feed Provider
If 2.5 msps mode is working relatively well, I'd look at your CPU utilization in the two modes.

What CPU and how many cores does the computer have?

Take a look at Task Manager (Performance Tab) to see what the CPU utilization is when running in 10 msps mode. If the CPU utilization is too high, that can cause the Airspy to not work well.

(BTW, in Win10, right-click on the graph and select "Change graph to Logical processors" to view all the cores.)

Also, can you confirm the Airspy is plugged directly into the computer and not into a hub?

Josh

kylej86

So I have been running the AirSpy on my desktop, I completely forgot that I have a Microsoft Surface Pro. I just installed everything on the Surface, USB averaged 9.999, and UniTrunker is up and running at 10msps.
So far it is performing well.

So next question, what should I try changing on the desktop that the AirSpy doesn't like, a USB PCI board?

kylej86

If 2.5 msps mode is working relatively well, I'd look at your CPU utilization in the two modes.

What CPU and how many cores does the computer have?

Take a look at Task Manager (Performance Tab) to see what the CPU utilization is when running in 10 msps mode. If the CPU utilization is too high, that can cause the Airspy to not work well.

(BTW, in Win10, right-click on the graph and select "Change graph to Logical processors" to view all the cores.)

Also, can you confirm the Airspy is plugged directly into the computer and not into a hub?

Josh

Windows 10 64-bit
AMD FX-8310 Eight Core Processor 3.40 GHz
16 GB ram

I will hook the AirSpy back up and report back on cpu usage.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD FX-8310 Eight Core Processor 3.40 GHz 16 GB ram

I will hook the AirSpy back up and report back on cpu usage.

I run an Intel dual core G840 3M-Cache 2.80-GHz with 4gb of ram and Win7 64 bit

I run my Airspy mini at 6 mhz along with 2 $10.00 realtek dongles. Software usually open is Proscan, Unitrunker, SDR# with 2 instances of of DSDPlus. I always have chrome open.
That being said, your pc definitely has more power than mine. My airspy Mini at 6 mhz is dead on. ,

The AirSpy is working fine on my Surface Pro so I am looking at ordering this for the desktop to see if the AirSpy just doesn't like my onboard USB.

You said your usb as right at 10.00 .

3 questions, when you ran the usb test, how was your system at the time? All programs closed except for the test? What do you get if you bog down your system a little? Do the usb results change?

And on the surface pro, what is your ppm? I know from looking at your last posted pics it was -4.71 and or -171.95.

I just did my mini and its dead on.

Attachments

• mini.JPG
    mini.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 406

kylej86

3 questions, when you ran the usb test, how was your system at the time? All programs closed except for the test? What do you get if you bog down your system a little? Do the usb results change?

And on the surface pro, what is your ppm? I know from looking at your last posted pics it was -4.71 and or -171.95.

I just did my mini and its dead on.

When I ran the test I believe everything was closed. I am at the station until 0800 Monday so I cant test the desktop out at the moment. I brought an external antenna, AirSpy, and Surface with me to the station and it is still working great. I just cleared the calibration and ran it on the Surface for the first time results are a little better to say the least. So something is wrong with the desktop.

Attachments

• SurfaceAirSpy1.jpg
    SurfaceAirSpy1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 399

jbeen

Feed Provider

kylej86

I agree, sounds like plenty of CPU in your machine. :)

Based on these couple posts, some people report the best luck with NEC USB chipsets.
https://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/331559-i5-4200-i5-4300-full-airspy-use.html
https://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/331423-usb-3-0-wont-work-sdr-dongles.html

Therefore, this is the USB-3 card I purchased, which has a NEC chipset.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G86538S/
For $17, it might be worth giving it a try.

Josh

I browsed through the above links and decided to go ahead and order the one you suggested. It will be here Wednesday afternoon and I will throw it in that night and update. I'm fairly confident this should resolve my problems.

I really appreciate everyone's input and time.

jbeen

Feed Provider
Thanks for the update, Kyle.
Glad to hear the USB card improved the situation with the Airspy R2.

Regards,
Josh

Airspy-US

I have had two RTL-SDR V3s for over a month now that have been working great. Since they have been awesome I decided to get an AirSpy R2. I got the AirSpy in today and hooked it up. First, the USB cable was DOA, no problem I have plenty of micro USB cables to go around. So now I start using the AirSpy on our local Motorola 800 MHz trunked system with Unitrunker using an outdoor discone antenna, the reception is garbage compared to the RTL-SDR V3. I have tried to play with the settings in Unitrunker and the calibration tool but it may work for a minute or two then poor reception again.

The first screenshot is the AirSpy second is the RTL-SDR same system same outdoor discone antenna

First, you are misinterpreting the calibration display.

Also, it appears the unit may have been calibrated to an uncalibrated source.

Please contact us directly. I'm not sure RR will allow is to post our email but you can find it on our site.

kylej86

First, you are misinterpreting the calibration display.

Also, it appears the unit may have been calibrated to an uncalibrated source.

Please contact us directly. I'm not sure RR will allow is to post our email but you can find it on our site.
Look at the last few post, my onboard usb hardware seems to be the problem. Everything is working fine after getting the new usb card on.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.