Airspy SDR by SDR# author

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatliner

The website claims "Tracking RF filters" but I don't recall seeing details of them.

On my Winradio G33, I have control over them, but I haven't seen any info regarding Airspy.

There are some SAW filters on my FCD Pro+ which work well.

SCPD

QRT
The website claims "Tracking RF filters" but I don't recall seeing details of them.

On my Winradio G33, I have control over them, but I haven't seen any info regarding Airspy.

There are some SAW filters on my FCD Pro+ which work well.

Yes, Airspy uses the same tuner-on-a-chip like RTL SDR dongles, the R820T, which incorporates a tracking preselection stage. Such a varactor preselector is good enough for broadcast purposes, but marginal for radio-minded people looking for unknown weak signals.

But then again, Airspy seems more targetted at the "hackers" community, not so much at the DX hunter.
This seems to be the case with many recent wideband SDR hardware; emphasis is clearly on bandwidth without publishing relevant dynamic range specs.

Paul
PD0PSB

Last edited:

Flatliner

It's not of course, still. I stopped caring anyway after seeing how mouthy the developer is with people.

I have a HackRF now so I couldn't care less anyway.

Boatanchor

Mmmm..

Maybe it was all 'AirWare' :)

By the time these guys get their act together, Funcube will come out with Mk3 and blow them away.
The FC people have already produced two successful commercial SDR receiver products in the last few years. They obviously have the talent to design, build and produce good product that is sold all over the Globe. If they are keen on staying in the marketplace, I'm sure that Mk3 is already on the drawing board, if not at the beta testing stage.

The FCDP+ is a pretty amazing receiver given its size, so I can't wait for the next version. Hopefully, with a wider bandwidth capability.

S

screamin72

Maybe it was all 'AirWare' :)

By the time these guys get their act together, Funcube will come out with Mk3 and blow them away.
The FC people have already produced two successful commercial SDR receiver products in the last few years. They obviously have the talent to design, build and produce good product that is sold all over the Globe. If they are keen on staying in the marketplace, I'm sure that Mk3 is already on the drawing board, if not at the beta testing stage.

The FCDP+ is a pretty amazing receiver given its size, so I can't wait for the next version. Hopefully, with a wider bandwidth capability.

I drool when I see FCDP+ !!!

AirSpy makes me wanna go flame at ppl like youseff!!!!!

SCPD

QRT
Unofficially ...

The AirSpy board design is finalized. The firmware is not. AirSpy has a three-core ARM processor on board; which takes a bit more effort that a single core processor.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Unitrunker,

Do you know if the final design has a preselection stage before the R820T tuner chip?
I would expect at least a HPF to avoid FM broadcast overload.

Paul
PD0PSB

Flatliner

If there was pre-selection other than what the chip offers internally, he would have made a big deal if it, but it's all been about ADC bit count and bandwidth.

There is quite a bit of imaging on the HackRF, Band II in airband, Flex paging in 2 mtrs etc, being 8 bit doesn't help either, but I've tamed most of it with BPFs and notching. Being able to see a WiFi signal fully, and in real time, is excellent, and not possible with Airspy. Next stop, BladeRF...

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Flatliner
what are you saying? are you saying HackRF in the air bands is dodo? Please tell us HackRF user how you "tamed" the images.

vince48

Flatliner

I already said how, by stopping the signal with bandpass filters or notch filters, used externally. Bits of Band II is present in the lower beacon end.

SCPD

QRT
Current best guess for an ETA for AirSpy is (unofficially, unconfirmed, and uncommitted) is late November.

They're still working on the firmware.

Flatliner

It still doesn't work well enough to sell then. By the time it's released, SDR will have become old.

jdobbs2001

November 20, 2017.

Hey anyone heard about the Airspy yet.

Yes, they are working out some final bugs, it is slated for december.

Flatliner

They've been saying that it's "a month or two away" for at least six months now. I can find posts by the dev himself stating that it would be ready in April... May....

It's probably safe to suspect that they can't get it working properly as they've been bashing away at it since 2013.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.