Airspy W/HackOne RF US Weather heard on 155.55 but not 162.55

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I am very new to SDR and want to know how to fix this. I haven't heard frequencies like time tick frequencies or other known active frequencies. I was playing with tuning it and came across USWS 162.55 on 155.55 in Independence MO. Please tell me if there is a setting that takes it 7 Mhz off and any recommendations

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
First of all, in the subject line you reference 2 different SDR's: Airspy and HackRF One.

It's likely not 7MHz off. What you are probably hearing is an image of your local NOAA weather. Try lowering the gain and see if that helps. I will assume you are using a HackRF. It is a relatively low-end SDR that is more designed for laboratory-type work and not high performance receiving. You are still receiving the weather broadcast on 162.5500, correct?

rabbit108

I am very new to SDR and want to know how to fix this. I haven't heard frequencies like time tick frequencies or other known active frequencies. I was playing with tuning it and came across USWS 162.55 on 155.55 in Independence MO. Please tell me if there is a setting that takes it 7 Mhz off and any recommendations
I doubt that you are receiving NOAA Weather from MO; you are too far away. You can listen for the callsign which is usually given about on the hour and half hour. These are the stations in MO:
NWR Stations
and these are the stations in CA:
NWR Stations

I'm in the Norfolk, VA area so my closest station is on 162.55 MHz:
NWR Stations

This is what it looks like with the SDR# (SDRsharp) software from the Airspy website and my RTL-SDR.COM V3 dongle, which is also an 8-bit SDR like the HackRF One:

1-30-2021 NOAA WX RTL-SDR.COM V3_1.jpg

I have noticed that under certain conditions the frequency entered doesn't agree with the frequencies below the spectrum. This usually happens when the wrong source is entered and then you change to the correct source when the Tuning type is set to Sticky tuning.

SDRsharp Tuning type_1.jpg

The SDRsharp Guide is here:
https://airspy.com/downloads/SDRSharp_The_Guide_v1.4_ENG.pdf

example:

1-30-2021 Freq Difference2_1.jpg

1-30-2021 Freq Agree2_1.jpg

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
Im now back in socal and tuned into a known radio station kiss fm 102.7 but have to tune to 102.0 to get it. I know I am on it because the hackrf one displays 102.7 for the data. If this thing is a pos like I am thinking then what would you recommend?

rabbit108

Im now back in socal and tuned into a known radio station kiss fm 102.7 but have to tune to 102.0 to get it. I know I am on it because the hackrf one displays 102.7 for the data. If this thing is a pos like I am thinking then what would you recommend?
Well, that's better; you are only 0.7 MHz off instead of 7 MHz off.

It might not be a POS, it could be some other problem.

I don't have a HackRF One, I have an RTL-SDR.COM V3 dongle:
Buy RTL-SDR Dongles (RTL2832U)

Attachments

• SMA to F Adapter Cable2.jpg
    SMA to F Adapter Cable2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.