AIS Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Evening all. I would like to try some AIS Decoding and i was wondering if anyone else here can point me in the right direction. I live in Queens NY about 1 mile away from the Whitestone bridge and 2 miles from the Throgs Neck bridge. Both are part of the Long Island sound, Little Neck bay and Flushing bay. Is AIS even used here in NY? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Mike

RKG

Though I haven't been in New York harbor in a long time, I'd expect pretty heavy AIS traffic as NY is now part of a VTS, and AIS is mandatory for large classes of commercial traffic.

SCPD

QRT
Ok i will try these 2 freqs tomorrow. 161.975 and 162.025 do i need to have a discriminator tap? Can anyone recommend something open source (winxp/7)

Thanks again
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes as mentioned on that software page, a tap is required for accurate decoding, unless you have one of those higher end Icom or WinRadios. I'd use a real old radio for something like this...best regards..Mike

[edit] A tip for you hams out there - the 9600 baud out pin on the microphone is usually set up for TCP/IP (a type of packet switching), but should work just fine in this app.

Last edited:

DannB

Premium Subscriber
AIS in NY(area)

Though I haven't been in New York harbor in a long time, I'd expect pretty heavy AIS traffic as NY is now part of a VTS, and AIS is mandatory for large classes of commercial traffic.

AIS is alive and well in new york harbor i use it everyday....cant work without it...

SCPD

QRT
DannB thanks for the confirmation. Im going to tap my 996t and see what i can find open source.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I live in Bayonne right next to the water. I use an old Pro-95 with a tap and can recieve New York Harbor down to the VZ Bridge and up the Kill Van Kull. I am using a Mag mount antenna indoors on a piece of sheet metal. AIS is used by all commerical traffic.

SCPD

QRT
cknizeski: Let me know on here or threw PM if you come across anything and i will do the same

majoco

Stirrer
Ok, fine, you can send the data you receive back to the servers and maybe they will add your data to the gazillions of others - but how do you plot your own data? Like PCHFDL does on to a Google map, can you plot the received ship positions on a local map, whether you have to make it yourself or overlay onto a commercial chart???

serbmarine

There is a program called OpenCPN that I use for doing just that. It is designed as a Marine Navigation/Mapping software. You can import local charts available free on the NOAA website.

Basically my setup is either SDRsharp using a virtual audio cable to AISmon, which takes the audio converts it into NMEA data and using a virtual serial port you can send the data into OpenCPN.

I also have a scanner and VHF with discriminator output that I will use in place of SDRsharp depending on where I am....

Serb

Status
Not open for further replies.