AL-DPS: Trooper Post Channel Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

BamaScan, DPS has started using the motors more since I left in 2005. They had just got several new ones back then and was starting to train the troopers. At one time "our little Post" here in Alex City had three troopers with motors out of seven total troopers. Kind of wild seeing motors running around here in Tallapoosa and Coosa counties.
Reference the laptops, if memory serves right, they are using "air cards" on the cell phone service to access NCIC, "DPS network", AL court system and other stuff. And they maybe also printing citations(tickets) they "write" for the computers (at least some were doing that).

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I took all the information in this post, as well as medic9351301's outstanding list of Trooper posts, and compiled it in one location. Is this information still correct, or has it changed since it was posted?

I figure this weekend should be a good one to listen to DPS comms ;)

Attachments

• DPS Updates.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Steve

Warren, I forgot all about it being a holiday weekend (must be a sign of getting old). Guess I'll have to aggravate everybody around here by keeping a radio "glued" to my ear.

RadShackFan

I just got this attachment from someone who uses the DPS frequencies. (Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.)

Attachments

• DPSFreq.pdf
    302.6 KB · Views: 525

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
New mobile extender frequency

Looks like the frequency Steve posted a while back (854.6875) is indeed the new mobile extender frequency. I heard the Franklin County SO channel being repeated on this freq today, with the characteristic "chopping" every 2 seconds of the extender looking for transmissions from the trooper's portable. It was a pretty weak signal but I believe it was CSQ.

I have been monitoring this freq since Steve first posted it, and this is the first transmission I've heard on it. Also the old freq (859.4875) has been silent since before they narrowbanded. I used to hear the extenders quite often, at least once a day; so I don't know if they are using an even lower output power now, or if there are fewer extenders in service or what.

big_irish_99

Ive been listening the past couple of days to the jville post i can hear them dispatch the south end units but never hear them dispatch Cherokee Etowah or Dekalb is thier a diffrent channel

Steve

big irish, have you tried 154.920 and 155.505? With this "new set-up", some Posts are using 154.920, 158.790 and 155.505. I've heard Dothan on 154.920 talking to an Eufaula trooper, under "old set-up" they used 158.790 for all cars.

Julian1

Attn: QSLMARK Thanks for the PDF attachment of May 26 posting. I can see some shading of info through the document as that shaded text was Page-1. Just curious what that page had written. PM if you need to. Thanks for the great info

RadShackFan

Attn: QSLMARK Thanks for the PDF attachment of May 26 posting. I can see some shading of info through the document as that shaded text was Page-1. Just curious what that page had written. PM if you need to. Thanks for the great info

I don't know what the other side is. My "contact" gave me the PDF file, so the other side might be something having to do with his agency. (I've magnified it and strained the old eyes, but I can't read enough of it to make any sense.)

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I took the DPS frequency list and made a couple of jpgs out of it. I then flipped the image and enhanced it with Photoshop Elements.

All the years of reading old documents and census records have paid off again :D I couldn't make out all the words since some were "below" the frequency assignments, but as best as I can make out, this is what it says (unknown words are marked with XXXX):

Department of Public Safety letterhead

Frequency Assignment

The following agreement is executed to comply with Section 90.421 of the Federal Communications
Commission Rules

The Alabama Department of Public Safety XXXX permission for XXXX
to operate mobile radio units on radio frequencies licensed to the grantor by the Federal
Communications Commission xxxx occordance with the applicable FCC rules and the
granted permission may be revoked at any time for failure to comply with the FCC rules or the
grantor's operating standards.

Permission xxx to operate xxxx units on the following frequencies & indicated narrow-band or
Wide-band XXX XXX.

---below is a table that is blank except for the abbreviation "MHz"-----
Transmit Recieve Tone Narrowband Wideband
the abbreviation MHZ is after transmit and receive

Grantor's FCC callsign is ____________ and expires on ______________, 20___

Grantor certifies that he is licensed for sufficient mobile units to cover the existing ones and the ones
authorized here XXXXXX he will modify his license to comply.

Authorized _____________________________ Date_____________________

Grantor's XXXXXXX

Telephone
Fax number

Grantee XXXXXXX XXXX conditions of granted XXXXX in accordance with XXXXX the FCC Rules
the granted XXXXX shall not be used for routine dispatch operations.

Accepted by

Grantee's address
Telephone Number
Fax number

Years ago a trooper friend of mine told me the before he could add the Prattville PD frequency to his mobile radio, he had to get the Chief of Police to sign a form giving the PD's permission. He then took the form to the DPS radio shop, and they added the frequency in to his radio.

I've never seen the form, but I suspect this is a blank form that Troopers can take to another public safety organization to get their permission to have their frequencies added to the Trooper's radios.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber

After reading through this post, I added all the new frequencies into my scanner. Haven't heard much from Cullman except the usual Post traffic on 158.79. But this morning I have been hearing digital data transmissions on 156.7825. Is it safe to assume this is AST?

Steve

New CC for the "Jacksonville" EDACS site

For the past few days 855.2625 has been the CC for this site. I have been monitoring the site using Unitrunker and a Pro-18. So far the only ID to show up has been 15-157, which is reported to be radio techs. One radio "source" ID was displayed with "EmD" listed in the Svc column. Hopefully there will be increased activity in the future, who knows.

trace1

For the past few days 855.2625 has been the CC for this site. I have been monitoring the site using Unitrunker and a Pro-18. So far the only ID to show up has been 15-157, which is reported to be radio techs. One radio "source" ID was displayed with "EmD" listed in the Svc column. Hopefully there will be increased activity in the future, who knows.

I've never had the EDAC's freqs. programmed in my scanner since it seemed it was no longer or rarely used. I may just have to get in my scanner now since I am in Calhoun Co!

Status
Not open for further replies.