AL-DPS: Trooper Post Channel Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Mobile State is now dispatching cars that were once dispatched by Evergreen State. Mobile State can be head on Evergreen State's old dispatch frequency of 154.920

I've also noticed some changes over the past couple days. Last week state radio techs were setting up and testing a link from DPS Headquarters to Quad Cities post. Now Headquarters is taking over radio duties for Quad Cities, and by extension, Hamilton post every night around 10 PM.

Anyone noticed this in other areas?

Steve

Avery93, I will check for Alex City and Opelika areas. I know that Alex City and Opelika have been swapping dispatching duties. Alex City handles calls for both offices when Opelika no PCO's on duty and Opelika does the same for Alex City. When this happens both offices' channels are patched together.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
AL DPS Freq.'s
Someone may want to listen out in Dallas County, AL.

I see a pending application for three new AL DPS VHF repeaters on the same freq.’s which were previously used as Fixed Base freq.’s.
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KDX432 - ALABAMA, STATE OF

State Trooper Post at Craig Field in Selma, AL. is a Fixed Base Site.
The Fixed Base site in Potter, AL. is being removed and a new repeater site is being added at 3000 Earl Goodwin Parkway in Selma, AL.

These freq.’s are being changed from FB/Fixed Base to FB2/Mobile Relay freq.’s at the new site.
154.92000 / 155.50500 / 155.44500
155.50500 is also shown as a FB/Fixed Base freq. at the same site.

The application does not show the Mobile Freq.’s, I assume they will be the same as what the trooper cars were using to talk in
on the car to base freq. unless they have been changed.
Any ideas why they are adding a repeater system?
I wander if this is going to be the new trend for AL DPS to move away from Base/Mobile use to Repeaters.

N8IAA

Can anyone give me a heads up on what the AL DPS uses for Cherokee, DeKalb, and Jackson. Heading that way soon and want to get the correct frequencies for the scanner.
TIA,
Larry

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone give me a heads up on what the AL DPS uses for Cherokee, DeKalb, and Jackson. Heading that way soon and want to get the correct frequencies for the scanner.
TIA,
Larry

Dekalb and Cherokee County units should be using DPS-2 (154.920 Base / 155.445 Cars), and Jackson County units should be using DPS-1 (158.790 Base / 159.030 Cars) and/or DPS-2.

Last edited:

medic9351301

Banned
dps

here is a list of the latest freqs and pl that i have for dps

Attachments

• dps.jpg
    dps.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 699

N8IAA

Found the frequencies ya'll gave me to work quite well. Lots of AL DPS vehicles out yesterday on our day trip to monitor. I noticed a couple of FD frequencies in DeKalb and Jackson to be either NXDN or MOTOTRBO.
Thanks,
Larry

Steve

DPS on repeater

Monday and yesterday I noticed the Alex City Field Office/Post (whatever it's called now) and its Troopers using a repeater. Output on 155.505 (no tone) and input on 159.210 (tone 131.8) (same info as DPS 3). I checked the Alex City FCC listing (KIX588) and noticed repeaters listed on 158.790, 154.920, 155.445 and 155.505.

Then today while the fog was in place, I noticed Tuscaloosa Post on repeater (155.505 output).

Kind of interesting, after years of using the "base/car" splits that ALDPS is "playing" with analog repeaters and GSP is "plaiying" with P25/digital repeaters.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I've noticed Tuscaloosa Post traffic has been repeated for about 3 weeks now. Both KIB256 (Tuscaloosa) and KIX588 (Alex City) were modified for FB2 operation in September of last year. I checked several other posts licenses, including Hamilton, Quad Cities and Decatur, but none of them have been modified, nor have I noticed any repeated traffic from them. Hopefully this will catch on in more areas.

This is the latest in a series of additions/changes to the DPS radio system. I have heard that Troopers in the Northwest part of the state, maybe elsewhere, are getting UHF mobiles installed for interop with both local law and fire agencies, and the existing VHF mobiles will have some local FD channels added as well. Also, as reported on this forum, some troopers are getting dual-band VHF-7/800 APX7500 mobiles installed.

Steve

Things have changed (hopefully for the better) in the 9 years since I left the department.
Glad the Northwest Troops may have "direct" contact with the locals.
Also glad the FD channels are being added, in the past sometimes the troopers had more contact with the VFD's than LE units.
I checked Opelika license (KIB514) and it shows repeaters on 154.920, 155.445 and 155.505 but not 158.790 (their new channel).

codeplug

Jefferson County DPS License now has four new repeaters listed.
License (KIB507) shows repeaters on 154.920, 155.445, 155.505 & 158.790.
Two transmitter sites listed, one in Birmingham and one in Irondale with the same freq.'s at both sites.

Any ideas why freq. 155.445 is listed as a repeater since it is the mobile freq. for 154.920?
I wander if they are using one of the new narrow-band freq.'s as the repeater input for that freq.
The license doesn't show any mobile freq.'s so I assume the mobiles must be under a different license.

Freq. 155.370 is listed as a Fixed Base on the license, not sure what that is used for unless it's used for tactical or mutual aid use.
I have not heard any activity on that freq.
No DPS repeater activity in my area yet.

codeplug

Jacksonville Post is still dispatching (simulcasting) on all three freq.'s of 154.920, 155.505 & 158.790.
I have heard Trooper cars using all three mobile freq.'s calling Jacksonville recently, so I assume they are switching
freq.'s or channels in the vehicle in different areas for better reception.
Jacksonville Post is dispatching B & C Trooper units.
The State Trooper website shows different Post Id's for Jacksonville & Gadsden which I believe is incorrect.
The new blue sign in front of the Gadsden (Attalla) post shows Troop B Post.
The old sign in front of the Jacksonville post shows Troop E Post but I think it should show it as Troop C.

This the current set-up for the Jacksonville Trooper Post.
Dispatch simulcasting on all three freq.'s. Mobile unit Id's are B - ### & C - ###.

Base-to-car 154.92000 - CSQ
Car-to-base 155.44500 - 141.3 PL

Base-to-car 155.50500 - 131.8 PL
Car-to-base 159.21000 - 131.8 PL

Base-to-car 158.79000 - CSQ
Car-to-base 159.03000 -151.4 PL

I have been hearing Montgomery Headquarters Post on 158.790, Huntsville & Decatur Post on 154.920.
Couldn't hear what the Trooper Units were called as far as the Post Id goes.
I assume the Post Id's have changed recently for some of the areas.

Steve

155.370 was licensed for interop with GA, FL and others. I have heard mobiles using it as a car to car in Southeast AL.

Don't know about 155.445, the license KA2108 covers the DPS VHF frequencies so the input to 155.445 maybe here. The Capitol Police repeater output (154.8075) is here, just haven't figured out the input yet.

codeplug

Correction:
I have been hearing Montgomery Headquarters Post on 154.920.
Heard Huntsville & Decatur Post on 158.790 PL - 107.2.

codeplug

155.370 for Interop
That makes since.
I have loaded the scanner with all three DPS Base, Mobile and the interop freq.'s.
I haven't heard any activity on the new DPS Mobile Extender frequency since they changed over.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
KColeman - back in March, you posted that the Montgomery Post units transmitted on 155.445 with a tone of "DCS 162.2". Did you mean DCS162 or PL 162.2?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

codeplug

Saturday & Sunday is Race weekend at Talladega.
Good time to monitor Alabama State Troopers.
Their mobile command vehicle and their helicopter should be there.
There will be a lot to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.