ALA1530S+ versus Pro-1B

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Preamp Sensitivity

Here's a quick example of the preamp sensitivity using the Perseus HFSPAN application. The following shots were taking around 4pm local time from within 1-2 minutes of each other. You can clearly see the 1530S+ amplifier's impact on the lower HF frequencies.

That's not a mistake on the upper HF band. The Wellbrook amplifiers tend to be centered around the lower HF bands. Since most of the HF activity is below 20Mhz, this is a fair compromise. The Pro-1B clearly scores a win here if you're seeking upper HF band performance.

It appears that the 1530S+ preamp is getting slightly overloaded from the AM broadcast stations. This is typical during the day. At night, a lot of AM stations will crank down their power. This is true for our area.

A FM station at 33.42Mhz was -74dBm versus -92 dBm on the Wellbrook. (This is S9 versus S6.)

Wellbrook 1530S+

1530splus.jpg

Wellbrook 330 (this preamp unit has built-in LW/MW attenuator)

330.jpg

PixelSatRadio Pro-1B

pro1b.jpg

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Has another Loop been added to the Battle? 1530s Vs Pro-1B Vs 330s?

SCPD

QRT
Has another Loop been added to the Battle? 1530s Vs Pro-1B Vs 330s?

Negative. But you bring up a good point in that the Pro-1B has its preamp unit mounted directly to the mast.

The Wellbrook models do not -- and thus you can change the preamp unit on the fly.

I have the alternate preamp module and just wanted to demonstrate how hot the preamp is in the 1530S+ unit.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Nick any chance you could show some vids of these two antennas in both the BCB and below 530/KHz?

Brian

Good idea - how about it Nick? My primary interest is MW DXing, it would be interesting to compare the two in this respect. How about the nulling capabilities of each antenna. Does one produce a deeper null over the other on the MW & LW bands?

BDM123

Nick emailed me and stated he'll soon be on vaca. He's going to try and get further testing done at that time. I ordered up the PRO-1B today anyhow. Perseus should be here by Friday, the Pixel next week. I'm happy :)

Brian

woebbers

I have the 1A loop and a Winradio 31DDC. Good results all around..I can throw together a video of the BCB and LW if you want to see how my setup works

Sal

BDM123

I have the 1A loop and a Winradio 31DDC. Good results all around..I can throw together a video of the BCB and LW if you want to see how my setup works

Sal

Sure, the more the merrier. Though my interest right now is specifically the PRO-1B version.

ridgescan

...still waiting for a MW/LW test...after seeing these detailed tests I am sold on the Wellbrook loop as well. When I get the loop, I prefer the better one.

SCPD

QRT
Ridge, I'll run these tests tonight and provide some videos. I'll wait till around midnight as this will be a good time for MW DX. Sorry this has take a while but my attention hasn't been on SWL lately.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
MW DX Tests

Okay here are some examples of the MW performance. Tests were run approximately at 7am and conditions were relatively consistent for all of the tests.

Pro-1B vs 1530S+ on 550am - YouTube

Pro-1B vs 1530S+ on 910am - YouTube

Pro-1B vs 1530S+ on 1110am - YouTube

Pro-1B vs 1530S+ on 1440am - YouTube

Pro-1B vs 1530S+ on 1660am - YouTube

Each video is roughly 30s long and the switch occurs at 14s -- you can see the thick, horizontal line appear in the waterfall window.

All tests were run with PREAMP OFF and a 10dB ATTENUATION filter otherwise the Perseus will get overloaded.

BDM123

Excellent, thank you Nick. They both hear the same (so to say) with the higher gain going to the "S+" obviously. Taking the statement above I wouldn't say it kills it in every area. That we do not know. It has higher gain yes, but both seem to have similar noise floors which for me is the MOST important factor when choosing one over the other. Now am I going to hear something off the WB that the Pixel will not? Not sure as we really don't know the signal to noise between the two.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Excellent, thank you Nick. They both hear the same (so to say) with the higher gain going to the "S+" obviously. Taking the statement above I wouldn't say it kills it in every area.

I would agree with your statement.

Now am I going to hear something off the WB that the Pixel will not?

In theory, yes, it's possible (with perfect conditions) -- but not likely. I cannot detect any "holes" in either antenna system.

BDM123

Believe me Nick my post in no way is intended to take away from your testing and results. Lets face it, we need more real "drive" time analyses on these antennas which you have provided and I thank you. Pixel has improved their antenna compared to the early release version 1A. Wellbrook also has improved their product line with the S+ being at the top so to say (not counting their large loop kit amplifiers, but that's another story for another post). I was considering purchasing a WB S+ to work and compare with my current Pro-1B (Nick knows this as we've talked previously on this subject). But, at $500+ by the time it's wrapped up and shipped, what real gain would I have? Probably nothing so for me at this time it's not worth the expense.

But for those considering either, they both perform well and Pixel seems to have improved their current version over the 1A from all accounts. They've also improved the mechanical build & design. WB upped the ante with their S+. I get the feeling these 1 meter active loops are hitting the ceiling for all they can give in return. Lets face it, these are LW/MW/SW frequencies loaded with noise. It's not the 432 band with a noise floor that would put a baby to sleep. So a good quiet preamp and 1m loop is going to only give so much in sig - noise ratio return. Next up, larger loops :) Thanks again Nick for your time.

WM7C

Premium Subscriber
Believe me Nick my post in no way is intended to take away from your testing and results. Lets face it, we need more real "drive" time analyses on these antennas which you have provided and I thank you. Pixel has improved their antenna compared to the early release version 1A. Wellbrook also has improved their product line with the S+ being at the top so to say (not counting their large loop kit amplifiers, but that's another story for another post). I was considering purchasing a WB S+ to work and compare with my current Pro-1B (Nick knows this as we've talked previously on this subject). But, at $500+ by the time it's wrapped up and shipped, what real gain would I have? Probably nothing so for me at this time it's not worth the expense.

But for those considering either, they both perform well and Pixel seems to have improved their current version over the 1A from all accounts. They've also improved the mechanical build & design. WB upped the ante with their S+. I get the feeling these 1 meter active loops are hitting the ceiling for all they can give in return. Lets face it, these are LW/MW/SW frequencies loaded with noise. It's not the 432 band with a noise floor that would put a baby to sleep. So a good quiet preamp and 1m loop is going to only give so much in sig - noise ratio return. Next up, larger loops :) Thanks again Nick for your time.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I search and found info I wanted. I read that Inlogis is working on an 8 foot loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.