Alabama Interoperable Radio System (was: Alabama First Responder Network)

medic9351301

Banned
Let me ask this question.
If a Pelham unit is in range of telvue.
Does this mean all dispatch for the city will come over telvue. Example if a call is dispatched like to the Pelham/ alabaster line and a unit is on the Pelham tower.
Would the cars on telvue hear it.
Or only the cars on Pelham hear it.

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about that, but I do know that I am hearing Pelham PD on the Columbiana site.

Talkgroups Associated Across Multiple Sites

Yes, If a subscriber is listing to the Pelham talkgroup on Telvue it will broadcast all of the talkgroup traffic regardless of the broadcaster's location.

I think this is why they limit system roaming agreements so much. If a Mobile County Deputy came to Birmingham for a prisoner transport, his radio would be tying up a Birmingham site repeating all of the traffic from the Mobile County Sheriff's Office Dispatch channel.

Let me ask this question.
If a Pelham unit is in range of telvue.
Does this mean all dispatch for the city will come over telvue. Example if a call is dispatched like to the Pelham/ alabaster line and a unit is on the Pelham tower.
Would the cars on telvue hear it.
Or only the cars on Pelham hear it.

cajunjerry

Just like here in Louisiana on our LWIN system they tell everyone to turn off their radios if going out of town. But sometimes they don't and i love hearing traffic where they are from.

medic9351301

Banned
I don't think Jefferson county 800 is linked over to 700 yet.
Don't hold me to that .

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
If they are linked, I haven't heard them. Probably just a matter of time, though. I've been expecting it any day.

What are the current plans for the Jefferson County Public Services 800mhz system?

I'm still monitoring Birmingham PD and Jefferson County sheriff with an older scanner that won't work with AFRN.

My question is, how much longer will this system be operational? Is there a plan to move everything from the Jefferson County system to the AFRN or will it just be a simulcast? Just trying to decide if/when I should pull the trigger on a newer model.

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
I'm unsure about that...someone else may know much more than I do. There has been some talk of linking Jefferson County with the AFRN, but I haven't heard anything specific...though I wouldn't doubt it happening. Hoover has already made the transition, and it stands to reason that other agencies in the county might follow suit...but then again, some may just do a patch with a simulcast, or they could do what Shelby County did, which was to simulcast for just over a month before abandoning the old P25 system, which was much worse in terms of coverage.

If it happens, I recommend a Uniden BCD436HP (portable) or the BCD536HP (mobile). I bought mine (portable) used from an individual seller on Amazon and saved a good chuck of money compared to what I would have spent for full retail. So far, it has proven itself to be a sweet little radio.

Last edited:

medic9351301

Banned
This is correct.
When they decide to move over.
The current towers will be merge into the afrn.
The jeffco system is legency system.
There are still a lot of analog users still .
They are going to have to do some equipment upgrades.
In order to make the switch.

They are a lot of users that are cross banding.
Vhf analog to 800 digital.

medic9351301

Banned
If they remain phase 1
A 996 xt is a good radio for a base.
I use 396xt as a handheld.
Another choice as a base would be a 996p2.
I used on once to listen to the old vhf Shelby phase 2 .

Any idea of how long it will be before they do move over completely? Even just an approximation. Trying to decide how long I'll have to buy a different scanner.

BenA2013

Feed Provider
I don't think Jefferson county 800 is linked over to 700 yet.
Don't hold me to that .

Jefferson county system is linked to AFRN. Not many radios have both the Jefferson county sites and AFRN sites programmed in them. So you won't hear much of their traffic on AFRN until more radios are programmed with both Jefferson county sites and AFRN sites.

morganAL

Jefferson Co is in the process of converting everything to P-25 so eventually, the SmartNet system will go away. It is a slow process converting that many site as well as getting that many subscriber radios reprogrammed or replaced.

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
I have been hearing fire and rescue for a large portion of the county (Shelby 911 Dispatch Frequency 155.835 MHz) patched in to the AFRN tonight. On my analog radio (Ham) in my truck, I also heard activity on the aforementioned frequency on my way in to work tonight, so I know it's been patched into the AFRN for now. The plug on the old frequency will more than likely be pulled soon.

jfarr318

I have been hearing fire and rescue for a large portion of the county (Shelby 911 Dispatch Frequency 155.835 MHz) patched in to the AFRN tonight. On my analog radio (Ham) in my truck, I also heard activity on the aforementioned frequency on my way in to work tonight, so I know it's been patched into the AFRN for now. The plug on the old frequency will more than likely be pulled soon.

Allcomm won't finish installing mobile radios until around the 1st week in December. That only covers the Municipal Departments. I have not seen a time line for the volunteer only departments without municipal backing. I don't see pulling the plug on 155.835 anytime soon. Unless someone knows something I have not heard.

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, man. I didn't think about that aspect. It will surely take some time before all the departments are transitioned.

jf911

ASST. CHIEF
Correct jfarr. The plan is to have all units done by the end of the year but that all depends on a few factors