Alabama Interoperable Radio System (was: Alabama First Responder Network)

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I was told that true p 25 simulcast sites are bad about LSM

They sure are! I don't even try to monitor the Montgomery trunked system anymore with my PSR-500.

I've been told that you can monitor using an SDR dongle, but I haven't had the time to play around with it. A fellow ham uses a BC436 to monitor the Montgomery system and has good luck with that model at his location.

Manbat83

Premium Subscriber
I just started using an sdr dongle and linux to listen to Hoover, Helena, Pelham, etc. Having trouble getting it to read Birmingham's control channel.

Manbat83

Premium Subscriber
Wondering what the main difference between Birmingham fire and police systems, and the Hoover Pelham shelby county system is. Is anyone phase 2?

BenA2013

Feed Provider
Wondering what the main difference between Birmingham fire and police systems, and the Hoover Pelham shelby county system is. Is anyone phase 2?
Jefferson county is smart net type II. Shelby county is P25 Phase 1. However, Jefferson county’s system is being upgraded to P25 phase 1. There are two Jefferson sites that are P25 already. Telvue and the simulcast sites.

Manbat83

Premium Subscriber
So they have p25 sites active.... but the agencies are currently using non p25 equipment. Is that accurate? My problem right now is I can only decode p25 1 and 2 with the op25 app on linux. Trying to use the windows equivalent is very cumbersome. I guess I'll just have to wait for them to go p25.

BenA2013

Feed Provider
So they have p25 sites active.... but the agencies are currently using non p25 equipment. Is that accurate? My problem right now is I can only decode p25 1 and 2 with the op25 app on linux. Trying to use the windows equivalent is very cumbersome. I guess I'll just have to wait for them to go p25.
They have to program their radios for the P25 sites.

morganAL

Their plan is to have all of the SmartNet converted to P-25 by June or sooner. I know they have told users on the SmartNet system they need to start replacing radios now.

medic9351301

Banned
Ok I don't understand this new layout.
I don't see where to post a new topic or thread .

Has anyone lost Hoover fire on any of the Shelby county sites .
Used to hear them on the 700 telvue site.
Now I am hearing them on the new p 25 simulcast site for Jefferson county.

BenA2013

Feed Provider
Ok I don't understand this new layout.
I don't see where to post a new topic or thread .

Has anyone lost Hoover fire on any of the Shelby county sites .
Used to hear them on the 700 telvue site.
Now I am hearing them on the new p 25 simulcast site for Jefferson county.

I'm hearing Hoover fire and pd fine on the Shelby county sites. The Jefferson county simulcast site covers a large part of the city of Hoover, and their radios may no longer need to affiliate with Telvue anymore.

medic9351301

Banned
What is confusing is the PD is on telvue 700. To my knowledge the jeffco p 25 is only in per say text mode .

Manbat83

Premium Subscriber
Last time I picked up Hoover FD was on 770.11875c
771.19375v listening to Hoover PD right now 857.5375c

BenA2013

Feed Provider
What is confusing is the PD is on telvue 700. To my knowledge the jeffco p 25 is only in per say text mode .
I’m hearing Hoover fire and PD fine on Jefferson simulcast. I was on Telvue for a moment and didn’t hear anyone. I did hear they had some traffic volume issues with Telvue. So they have have moved Hoover off of it.

medic9351301

Banned
Strange because I have been hearing
Hoover pd all day on the telvue 700 .
Ben ,
What part of Shelby county are you in .
I think I have lsm issues at my location .

W4AQX

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing both Hoover FD and Hoover PD on the Shelby County sites, and have been since they started simulcasting on the new system.

medic9351301

Banned
Ok now I am officially.confused .
I am starting to hate the new jeffco p 25 simulcast site.
Its not making no sense. Hoover pd.is coming in .
No hoover fire on the new jeffco 25 site or on any of the Shelby Co afrn sites .
This is not making in any sense.
They are working on the old 154.055 .
It worked perfectly when hoover fire was on telvue..
Perfect example don't fix it if its not broken .
If I get the pd on the new jeffco p25 site in reason I would think I should get the fire.
Is this the beginning of many headaches for the new jeffco p 25 simulcast site

BenA2013

Feed Provider
Ok now I am officially.confused .
I am starting to hate the new jeffco p 25 simulcast site.
Its not making no sense. Hoover pd.is coming in .
No hoover fire on the new jeffco 25 site or on any of the Shelby Co afrn sites .
This is not making in any sense.
They are working on the old 154.055 .
It worked perfectly when hoover fire was on telvue..
Perfect example don't fix it if its not broken .
If I get the pd on the new jeffco p25 site in reason I would think I should get the fire.
Is this the beginning of many headaches for the new jeffco p 25 simulcast site
I'm hearing Hoover FD on the shelby county AFRN sites. I have also heard Hoover FD on the Jeffco simulcast site. Not sure why you aren't hearing them.

medic9351301

Banned
Its probably lsm because I am in a metro area . I am in range of probably 6 of the new simulcast towers . with channel 13 being less than 2 air miles .
And telvue at 3 air miles.even with a arttenu. on and a paper clip ant its still to strong. As for Shelby county I only get telvue and signal mt. Oh well I guess its time to retire after close to 40 years of faithful listing .since their is now way to tell which towers are tx at the time. Or if the system is up and running with all towers .
I have finally met my match. Cause I don't have any other ideas

auburndmbfan

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks,
New to the forum, looking to get into scanning, and before i purchase a scanner I want to make sure I'll be able to hear what i'm looking for. I've tried to read as much as I can here to make an informed decision, but frankly, it's just over my head and I think it's easier to just quickly ask.

So I live in Shelby County with a Birmingham mailing address. I'd like to be able to listen to Hoover PD, Shelby County Sheriff's Office, and Shelby Fire (Cahaba Valley to be specific).
In reading through the last many pages of this thread, it seems there's some conversions going on with several local agencies, and I'm better off getting a digital scanner that will do Phase 2. Is that a fair statement? I saw references to a Uniden model a few pages back. Any others? Honestly I haven't had a scanner since high school, and then it was a BC144XL from a yard sale, so I'm pretty much starting over from scratch when it comes to knowledge. Simulcast and Telvue and AFRN? Even Google didn't help much. I've got a lot to learn it seems.
Fortunately I probably won't make a purchase for a month or two while i recover from Christmas and finish my due diligence.

Thanks much