Alabama Interoperable Radio System (was: Alabama First Responder Network)

mrat1234

Is their any plans to make the AIRS system statewide and state agencies to switch. I've been looking at the system for a few years and I haven't seen much change except for local agencies adding infrastructure for them but not the state. Specifically looking at the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (State Police).

KG4DRF

Don't know. Hear state on their analog system and nothing but it. Think they tried 800 trunking years ago but found it either unreliable or too expensive to go to full time. The system that Forestry and G&F use is good so would figure ALEA may head into that direction for statewide use as a better budget alternative then the P25 system. Arab spending almost a quarter of a million just on radios for police alone if I heard dollar amount correctly.

KG4DRF

I know 1 is at the Arab Fire Hall/911 Dispatch Center. If memory is correct, on Grant Mountain, the state park on the east of Guntersville. I cannot remember exactly but there were to be a total of 5 towers(I think) put in place to provide coverage for almost all of the county. So there should be 2 or 3 towers located in the area of Albertville and to the east and west of there. Will do a search to see if I can find article from years ago listing where county was told where and how many towers would be needed to get maximum coverage.

radiopro52

Curious if any of these new sites coming online will be Phase II. So far everything from Birmingham and north has all been Phase I as far as I know.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
AFRN TG 40003
Sounds like Fire & Rescue Dispatch for Chilton County?
Sounds like an Analog Patch from either VHF or UHF over to 700 or 800 MHz?
Any Ideas on the Use or User of this TG or what frequency it's being patched to?

I was in Chilton County today. 40003 does sound like the VFD for Chilton County. I heard the VHF repeater tail on the talkgroup, and similar traffic on the VHF frequency, so I believe it's definitely a patch of their VHF dispatch frequency.

I also picked up 40005, which had law enforcement traffic-related traffic on it. I couldn't tell which agency it was.

FWIW, I saw a Jemison PD SUV while parked at the McDonald's in Jemison. It had what looked like an 800Mhz antenna on it.

Abmahaffey

Has anyone been scanning the Warrior/Palmerdale towers today? I hear Someone doing radio checks on Blount Co Fire 1, not sure if they are working on the VHF to 800 patch today or if it’s unrelated.

Not sure if this is the right group or if anyone uses this but I heard Birmingham wrecker dispatch today! I thought they were entirely encrypted any idea on how or why, also does shelby county use simulcast? I was thinking a better antenna would work but I hope I didn't buy the wrong scanner

dave911

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the right group or if anyone uses this but I heard Birmingham wrecker dispatch today! I thought they were entirely encrypted any idea on how or why, also does shelby county use simulcast? I was thinking a better antenna would work but I hope I didn't buy the wrong scanner

That TG isn't encrypted but all the other police TGs are.

medic9351301

Banned
shelby county is not simulcasted . its based off what towers are close to you. not every agency in shelby county will not be on each tower.

maybe this map will help you.

stand alones are not simulcasted

medic9351301

Banned

what scanner did you get . keep in mind depending on the scanner a antenna might do more harm than good on this part of the system .

medic9351301

Banned
sounds like you have the dreaded lsm bug . might have to just move the scanner around to see if helps . if your only trying to hear the trunked systems set your squelch to 0 but only if you have trunked system programed . if you have non trunked freqs then its not going to work

sounds like you have the dreaded lsm bug . might have to just move the scanner around to see if helps . if your only trying to hear the trunked systems set your squelch to 0 but only if you have trunked system programed . if you have non trunked freqs then its not going to work
Thanks, do you know what modulation and attenuation mean in the scanning world?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Beginning about 1 year ago, I have seen what look to be triband (vhf/uhf 700/800) antennas on top of one or more State Police pickups in Baldwin County. However, I have not picked up anything that sounds like them on the trunked system, but admittedly my time spent scanning at the beach is limited.

Also, before you ask, I have not been able to look inside the unit to see what kind of radios they have.