Alabama Interoperable Radio System (was: Alabama First Responder Network)

morganAL

Good day to one & all,

I don't believe it alters any freqs, however, an STA license has been issued for Morgan County EMCD 911 that appears to replace WQSE657 (EXPIRED 09/10/2023), which is associated with the Morgan Co AIRS sites. (307, 308, 309 and 310)

WSAM210
It does not alter any frequencies. It is an STA that is place to keep them legal until they get the frequencies properly relicensed.

TomServo

Update on talkgroup 25211, this is the Orange Beach special events channel. They handled a Mardi Gras parade tonight. I've submitted it to the database.

There was also a brief call on TG 20183 from an Orange Beach radio but it wasn't enough to tell what the purpose of the channel is.

TomServo

I'm back with a big list of Baldwin County talkgroups! With Mardi Gras in full swing earlier I think a lot of little-used or one-off TGs were spun up in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, while the VFDs were using rarely-heard TGs. I'm getting better at identifying radios associated with each user now, so hopefully this is more informative than prior posts.

Here are the ones I've snagged so far this week:

20182 - Orange Beach radios
20184 - Orange Beach radios
20343 - Magnolia Springs FD
20346 - Magnolia Springs FD — why does little Magnolia Springs need EIGHT talkgroups!?
20672 - Gateswood FD
20726 - Stapleton FD
22182 - Orange Beach radios
22184 - Orange Beach radios
23201 - Orange Beach radios, Encryption used
26202 - Unknown, only heard on Magnolia Springs tower
26613 - 16496 radio ID, only heard on Robertsdale tower
28112 - 2119610 radio ID, only heard on Seminole tower; State Troopers use? I haven't heard the Mobile troop patch in a long while. Radio ID is in line with some used by Medstar EMS, though
29321 - 35004 radio ID, only heard on Robertsdale tower
29358 - 4400 radio ID, mixed Phase 1 and 2 radios, only on Robertsdale tower

In addition to all those, here are some more… mysterious entries that are less logical than the ones above.

258 - 8806722 ID, off Spanish Fort tower, only one entry
16929 - no Radio ID, also off Spanish fort, one entry
38265 - Mixed clear/enc, lots of traffic, no radio IDs, Robertsdale tower
46385 - No radio IDs, only two entries, Magnolia Springs tower
52001 - Troop C Tuscaloosa - heard on Robertsdale tower, encrypted for about 5 minutes of traffic

Finally, an update to TG 23205 posted a while back, I still haven't heard traffic myself but can now ID the radios using it as associated with Gulf Shores.

sadave

Update on talkgroup 25211, this is the Orange Beach special events channel. They handled a Mardi Gras parade tonight. I've submitted it to the database.

There was also a brief call on TG 20183 from an Orange Beach radio but it wasn't enough to tell what the purpose of the channel is.
I think I heard the PD dispatcher refer to TG 25211 as "Citywide Event."

TomServo

More Baldwin County talkgroups this week:

20301 and 20305 — Foley radios
20684 — Spanish Fort radios
20724 and 20725 — Stapleton radios
20881 — no radio IDs, off the Spanish Fort tower, in the clear

sadave

If TG 20881 is accurate (and following the current plan), it would be the first one identified for Stockton VFD (Station 88.) Good catch. I don't know if I've ever heard Foley FD on anything but the NXDN system except for mutual aid via the system patch to AIRS. If you have any monitored traffic to indicate who and how the AIRS TGs are being used, it would be great to know.

Shep

TomServo

I'm definitely on the lookout for these new talkgroups but more often than not when I set them in the SDRtrunk to record, I never hear anything from them. It's like a lot of them are used once then never again. Sometimes they do show in the text logs but still don't record for whatever reason. I'm usually just finding these talkgroups by combing through the app's log files. Some are used for a few minutes once or twice and some have a lot of activity but I'm never at home listening when it happens. I'm also beginning to wonder if they are phantom numbers generated by SDRtrunk in error since occasionally I heard things on other talkgroups that don't belong, like a broken up fire dispatch on the Fairhope PD channel or something like that.

Stockton is definitely plausible as I seem to recall they have a mix of digital and analog radios in service. It's easy to tell when someone's using an analog radio because not only do they sound different on the air but they lack a radio ID. It seems the majority of the analog radios are still in the north Baldwin area, like Lottie and Little River, so Stockton still using them wouldn't be a shock.

sadave

I'm back with a big list of Baldwin County talkgroups! With Mardi Gras in full swing earlier I think a lot of little-used or one-off TGs were spun up in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, while the VFDs were using rarely-heard TGs. I'm getting better at identifying radios associated with each user now, so hopefully this is more informative than prior posts.

Here are the ones I've snagged so far this week:

20182 - Orange Beach radios
20184 - Orange Beach radios
20343 - Magnolia Springs FD
20346 - Magnolia Springs FD — why does little Magnolia Springs need EIGHT talkgroups!?
20672 - Gateswood FD
20726 - Stapleton FD
22182 - Orange Beach radios
22184 - Orange Beach radios
23201 - Orange Beach radios, Encryption used
26202 - Unknown, only heard on Magnolia Springs tower
26613 - 16496 radio ID, only heard on Robertsdale tower
28112 - 2119610 radio ID, only heard on Seminole tower; State Troopers use? I haven't heard the Mobile troop patch in a long while. Radio ID is in line with some used by Medstar EMS, though
29321 - 35004 radio ID, only heard on Robertsdale tower
29358 - 4400 radio ID, mixed Phase 1 and 2 radios, only on Robertsdale tower

In addition to all those, here are some more… mysterious entries that are less logical than the ones above.

258 - 8806722 ID, off Spanish Fort tower, only one entry
16929 - no Radio ID, also off Spanish fort, one entry
38265 - Mixed clear/enc, lots of traffic, no radio IDs, Robertsdale tower
46385 - No radio IDs, only two entries, Magnolia Springs tower
52001 - Troop C Tuscaloosa - heard on Robertsdale tower, encrypted for about 5 minutes of traffic

Finally, an update to TG 23205 posted a while back, I still haven't heard traffic myself but can now ID the radios using it as associated with Gulf Shores.
Good morning!

Sunday morning often means volunteer fire department training day and have a couple of TG updates for Magnolia Springs VFD based upon what they call them.

20345 is Training 1
20346 is Training 2

I have submitted the updates to RRDB.

Shep

TomServo

I heard the same thing at least as far as Training 2 goes. I also heard TG 20681 which I had listed as a possible Spanish Fort PD tac channel, but instead it is a FD tac channel. I haven't submitted it yet in case someone had some other info on it.

TomServo

I've submitted a change to the database for 25213 - Gulf Shores Citywide I/O — I heard the Orange Beach conservation officer doing a radio check here today and have seen Orange Beach radio IDs a few times in my logs. The numbering scheme puts it between two other OB radio talkgroups, so I am asking for it to be moved out of the Gulf Shores listing.

TomServo

I think that is actually a Poarch Creek FD talkgroup. It's one digit above their primary fire channel in Escambia County and within the range of their other two PD talkgroups. Since they own OWA they must be handling the hydrant testing themselves.

TomServo

To add: TG 27250 is definitely Poarch fire. I found the entry in my logs for the 16th and the radios are all in the 2404xxx range.

Around this same time, two more new unlisted Poarch talkgroups showed up in the logs: 27361 and encrypted group 27258.

Last edited: