alabama state police

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenomorf

state troopers are still on analog. i drove thrue mobile last week heard A136 talking to dispatch. A is troop location, and 136 is trooper number.

mrat1234

Hi I'm from South Carolina. I'm curious do Alabama state troopers carry portables. I ask because every photo of them i see they never have portables on them. Thanks all.

TomServo

That may be, but they are also digital in certain areas. They are definitely using Mobile county P25 system.

Is that just a simulcast, or separate from the old analog repeaters? I used to listen to the Mobile post since it was one of the few analog VHF signals left around here, but I rarely heard any activity, and most of that seemed to be one-way dispatches to troopers well outside my listening range.

zenomorf

Is that just a simulcast, or separate from the old analog repeaters? I used to listen to the Mobile post since it was one of the few analog VHF signals left around here, but I rarely heard any activity, and most of that seemed to be one-way dispatches to troopers well outside my listening range.
analog is still used state wide but some digital is used also.

medic9351301

Banned
its hit or miss with the troopers on portables. some do some dont . at one time the used vehicle repeaters with them . alabama is so backwards up untill about 5 years ago the never had repeaters.

State troopers are analog almost all in Alabama, in mobile they are setup with mobiles trunkated digital system but I don't know how active it is, I don't know of any other areas like that,

medic9351301

Banned
in the past troopers had access to the counties they worked radio sytem.
i have heard troopers on blount county/chilton/cullman sheriffs dispatch freqs in the past .
i seen a post here that they had a all band mobile radio or were working towards that .
i think the capital police has access to the montgomery system or did .
warren can you throw you input since your close to that area .

I know troopers in Montgomery have access for the trunked system they have, can’t remember if it’s AIRS or Montgomery’s, If I had to guess they would consider moving towards the trunked system while keeping the analog system as a backup

rbryant2

In some parts of the state you will also hear them mention "the link" quite often. This refers to their Critical Linc handsets. For those who may be familiar, Critical Linc is the LTE replacement for the Southern Linc iDEN system. Critical Linc provides them push-to-talk communications with bases and other troopers statewide, and is unmonitorable.

medic9351301

Banned
it all depends on the area/ counties they work. if the county has a trunked system they might be on it .
the state is only dispatched on analog vhf or via mdt(car computers) if they have access to a county trunked system its only used for interop .
very unlikey u will hear a trooper dispatched to a call on a county trunked system .its possible but unlikley .
if the troopers do in fact have all band radios in vehicles you can bet its there, but how much its used got me .

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Might be time to load 154.6875, 154.7025, 154.9425, & 155.4675 as NXDN for trooper traffic.

If there is any use at all, I would suspect only mobile to mobile simplex for now.

Source - KA2108
RadioJonD:

For the four frequencies you suggest programming as NXDN, do you happen to know the appropriate RAN code?

Metrofire31
WREX563
Auburn-Opelika

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
RadioJonD:

For the four frequencies you suggest programming as NXDN, do you happen to know the appropriate RAN code?

Metrofire31
WREX563
Auburn-Opelika

No, sir. No insider information this time. :)

The KA2108 mobile license was updated to authorize NXDN on only those four. Of course, that doesn't mean usage but curiously only those four out of 28 (30, if the two lowbands are counted) were changed to add NXDN.

I check that license at least every three months. In fact, mobile licenses, in general, often offer insight.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
No, sir. No insider information this time. :)

The KA2108 mobile license was updated to authorize NXDN on only those four. Of course, that doesn't mean usage but curiously only those four out of 28 (30, if the two lowbands are counted) were changed to add NXDN.

I check that license at least every three months. In fact, mobile licenses, in general, often offer insight.

I checked the KA2108 license, but I only see 8K10F1E, P25 C4FM voice added. 12.5 kHz NXDN voice is 8K30F1E.

P25 would make more sense as many/most of their mobile radios should be P25 capable by now.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I checked the KA2108 license, but I only see 8K10F1E, P25 C4FM voice added. 12.5 kHz NXDN voice is 8K30F1E.

P25 would make more sense as many/most of their mobile radios should be P25 capable by now.

That's interesting you said P25. Back in 2008, Prattville got hit with a EF-3 tornado. I was listening to the different agencies that were assisting in the aftermath, including the Red Cross. I managed to pick up a then-ABI agent. He was transmitting on the old ABI frequency in P25 mode. I even got his NAC. He realized his radio was on the wrong channel, since I next heard him in analog on another frequency (I can't remember which one.)

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
That's interesting you said P25. Back in 2008, Prattville got hit with a EF-3 tornado. I was listening to the different agencies that were assisting in the aftermath, including the Red Cross. I managed to pick up a then-ABI agent. He was transmitting on the old ABI frequency in P25 mode. I even got his NAC. He realized his radio was on the wrong channel, since I next heard him in analog on another frequency (I can't remember which one.)
Warren, do you know the frequencies for the ABI? I've always assumed they operated on the ALEA (State Trooper) frequencies which may or not be true. I would also appreciate the P25/NAC codes if you have them.

Metrofire31 (Mike)
WREX563
Auburn-Opelika

KC3ECJ

In some parts of the state you will also hear them mention "the link" quite often. This refers to their Critical Linc handsets. For those who may be familiar, Critical Linc is the LTE replacement for the Southern Linc iDEN system. Critical Linc provides them push-to-talk communications with bases and other troopers statewide, and is unmonitorable.

Link? Heh! The name Babylon 5's portables.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Warren, do you know the frequencies for the ABI? I've always assumed they operated on the ALEA (State Trooper) frequencies which may or not be true. I would also appreciate the P25/NAC codes if you have them.

Hi Mike, I looked, but couldn't find my notes about it. Too many years :)

I'm willing to be they are exclusively using Southern Linc now.

Status
Not open for further replies.