• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Alabama State Troopers and Hillbillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
From the Recent AST Blue Light Newsletter:

Have you ever heard the phrase, “It takes all
kinds to make up the world?” Well, here’s an occurrence
that came to our attention from the Highway
Patrol. In late June Cpl. Brad Napp of the Mobile Post
was conducting speed limit enforcement on an area of
Interstate 65 while operating LIDAR. The corporal
was as inconspicuous as possible for the detail. He
dressed in civilian clothes, complete with an old
fishing hat, and was seated in a lawn chair under
an interstate overpass.
From his lawn chair, Napp soon tracked a
speeding vehicle which then was stopped by Tpr.
Terry Stallworth. The violator became irate upon
receiving a ticket and said to Stallworth, “Instead
of harassing us people just speeding a little, you
should be runnin’ them hillbillies out from under
them overpasses.”
It’s all in a day’s work at the HP to keep Alabama’s
highways safe for all motorists. Great job, Cpl.
Napp and Tpr. Stallworth! And send our regards to
Jed, Ellie Mae, Jethro, oh yeah, and of course, Granny!

Mozilla

Florida

Of course we had to go to the extreme down here in Bananna Land

http://www.wftv.com/news/9341740/detail.html?taf=orlc

Between the cross dressing officer, the lazy city worker, complete with vest and yellow hard hat, and an officer dressed as a homeless guy, wearing a bath robe and cowboy boots ( actually cause drivers to report a " mental patient" possibly loose ) we're doing alright.

Last edited:

overlord1

If state/local governments are that hard up for cash, why not just ask for a tax increase and be honest with its citizens? Tactics like these do not generate much respect for law enforcement.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
overlord1 said:
If state/local governments are that hard up for cash, why not just ask for a tax increase and be honest with its citizens? Tactics like these do not generate much respect for law enforcement.
So what you're saying is that it's alright to run a red light if there isn't a cop around to see it? I don't see what it really matters how they catch them, just as long as they do.

overlord1

Dubbin said:
So what you're saying is that it's alright to run a red light if there isn't a cop around to see it? I don't see what it really matters how they catch them, just as long as they do.
No, that's not what I'm saying. If the purpose of these stunts is "safety" then why not post a marked police car at troublesome intersections so that people won't run the red light in the first place? If your stated aim is to prevent accidents instead of generating money, wouldn't it be better for the would be red light runner to see a cop car and think, "gee, I better not run this light". Same thing for the cop dressed as a hillbilly under the overpass. If the cops are trying to prevent accidents by slowing people down, I don't know of anything that slows people down faster than a marked car plainly visible in the median do you?

Tazcop

I lkie it, in our area deputies run radar on horseback and radio ahead to a cruiser. They are real effective.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Well, the thing about the article is that it keeps you guessing. Sure, you see a cop car and you would of course immediately check your speed. Even if you aren't speeding, it's reflex. I feel. Well, if I don't see a copy, I'll be the 1st to admit I'll speed a little but knowing there's "hillbillies with radar" lurking in the overpasses makes me a bit more nervous about speeding. You never know who's gonna clock you. Also, the 1st I've heard of LIDAR being used in my area, another eye opener.

overlord1

Tazcop said:
I lkie it, in our area deputies run radar on horseback and radio ahead to a cruiser. They are real effective.
I like the law in Virginia which states that the officer that witnessed the violation must also be the one to write the citation. Makes it difficult if the cop is on a horse or dressed as a bum under a bridge to catch the car :)

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
overlord1 said:
No, that's not what I'm saying. If the purpose of these stunts is "safety" then why not post a marked police car at troublesome intersections so that people won't run the red light in the first place? If your stated aim is to prevent accidents instead of generating money, wouldn't it be better for the would be red light runner to see a cop car and think, "gee, I better not run this light". Same thing for the cop dressed as a hillbilly under the overpass. If the cops are trying to prevent accidents by slowing people down, I don't know of anything that slows people down faster than a marked car plainly visible in the median do you?
OK so thats just telling the red light runners that its ok to do it just as long as there isn't a cop car around. I bet the ones that got nailed on this no longer run red lights because they have no idea if they are being watched or not.

Mozilla

Ambushing motorists

At least down here, most of these red light runners are the most brazen ones. 3-5 seconds after a light has turned red... they'll go.
But when you really think about, it helps, because since we have homeless guys, construction guys and hookers on our roadways, it may cause some... but not all,to consider whether is a officer or not.

okccsi

overlord1 said:

Parking that cruiser costs money. Putting officers out there costs money. Seems to me generating money while spending it helps even things out a bit.

OKC CSI

dren

overlord1 said:
I like the law in Virginia which states that the officer that witnessed the violation must also be the one to write the citation. Makes it difficult if the cop is on a horse or dressed as a bum under a bridge to catch the car :)
There is no such law in Virginia. In fact, the link below specifically mentions that an officer can receive a radio message from the officer that observed the speeder. There's also a law for running red lights that does not require the officer issuing the summons to witness the infraction. They just need a radio message from the officer witnessing the event.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+46.2-882+405656

BoxAlarm187

EDIT: Looks like Dren beat me to posting the code section that allows Virginia LEOs to relay information via radio in order to issue a summons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.